1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cataract Surgery, 1 down with 1 to go

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rjtwangs, May 30, 2018.

1. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For those of you that may need cataract surgery, DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!! I've just had cataract surgery on my right eye and the difference is SPECTACULAR.....I can't believe what I am now able to see, it is almost like seeing for the first time. It's funny that you really don't know how bad it is until it's fixed....WOW is all I can say. I've been walking around my house like a peeping tom, simply looking and seeing...like book titles from across the room, colors on the TV look so much more vivid. I can't wait to have my left eye done......for any of the folks here looking at the possibility of cataract surgery, DO IT. I was nervous like most people, but I must say that there was never a moment's discomfort, totally pain free and the results are just so dramatic...for the first time in my life I no longer need glasses to drive!, I can now buy cool shades off the rack....it was like seeing my guitars for the first time, and looking out from the stage for the first time was unreal, for the first time I could actually SEE people having fun, the way they were dressed, the pretty women....it's just amazing....ymmv....just my own experience....

RJ

picknfool, Toto'sDad, Georox and 7 others like this.
  2. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats! I had both eyes done a few years ago, amazing difference. It's nice to look at beautiful things again.

And yeah for anyone putting it off, the operation is a breeze, and you won't regret it!

rjtwangs likes this.
  3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm going to need cataract surgery at some point, too. My ophthalmologist is keeping an eye on them (I have cataracts in both eyes).

Regarding the actual procedure, were you sedated? Did they place a machine over your eyes and ask that you stay perfectly still?

I have claustrophobia and the thought of keeping still and having a machine cover my head seems very daunting!

rjtwangs likes this.
  4. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

soon i hope

5. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Plus there's the added benefit that you get to be Kurt Russell for a few days?

[​IMG]

My mum had the surgery, as did my M-I-L and they were both thrilled with the results. I'm a bit surprised that I haven't had an issue til now - I'm 60, and have spent much of the past 30 years on soccer fields in the California sun, playing and refereeing. I guess I've been lucky!

rjtwangs likes this.
  6. rjtwangs

Regarding the actual procedure, were you sedated? Did they place a machine over your eyes and ask that you stay perfectly still?

I have claustrophobia and the thought of keeping still and having a machine cover my head seems very daunting![/QUOTE]

at Fender guy, yes I was awake for most of it, they give you a little something to make you relaxed, but I kept talking to him and he kept laughing at me and telling me to keep my head still....NO nothing was placed over my head, it seemed like it was over before it began...I only had to wear the eyepatch for one night, that was the one thing I didn't like, my eye was itchy and I couldn't scratch because of that damned patch....the Dr took it off the next morning. I had to continue with eye drops for another 3 weeks. I went back to him yesterday, it's so very cool to be able to actually read the BOTTOM line of the eye chart, for the first time ever!!!....Fender guy, tell your Dr You're ready, it will be the best decision you'll have ever made....I PROMISE YOU THAT!!!!

RJ

p.s. about the hardest thing I've ever had to do was put in eye drops by myself...I was hitting my nose, my forehead, my cheek, the other cheek, my chin, the other eye....it seemed as though for every drop that actually made it into my eye, at least another 5 got a tour of my face....and once into my mouth....ugh....

7. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Amen! I had mine done in November/December and I am free of glasses for the first time in 45 years!

I had cataracts removed and interocular lenses implanted to correct my vision. I was under general anesthesia, but it was done at the doctor's office and I went home afterward.

There was a regiment of eyedrops after surgery, and I had to cover the surgical eye while I slept for a few days. No pain at all. Wish I'd done it years ago!

rjtwangs likes this.
  8. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Amen to all above! One of the easiest surgeries, and you (literally) see the results in no time!

rjtwangs likes this.
  9. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

If you have cataracts, have the surgery-----life changing! I went from 20/1000 in both eyes to 20/20. Yeah at my age I have reading glasses all over the house, but buying regular sunglasses for the first time in my life and not having to slap a heavy pair of glasses on my face to get out of bed in the morning makes it well worth it.

telestratosonic and rjtwangs like this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My parents have both had it within the last 5 years, both eyes for both of them, no problems at all. They're now in their 90s.

When I think back to 1980, and how petrified we were when my Grandfather had the surgery done and how little sleep I got, worrying, I've got to say the landscape has changed as to cataracts in a truly magical way.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    rjtwangs likes this.
  11. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Congrats. While I'm too young to have cataracts, I had PRK surgery a couple of years ago just to correct my awful, awful, awful vision and astigmatism. You're correct, it's like seeing for the first time. I too found myself just staring at stuff. I still occasionally reach to take my glasses off at night.

rjtwangs likes this.
  12. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

My good friends wife just got her second eye done yesterday.
    Said it was worst than the first because she knew she would have her head and arms restrained.
    Turned out wonderful for her, hope it does for you too RJ

rjtwangs likes this.
  13. rjtwangs

Found out yesterday afternoon that surgery for my left eye is scheduled for this coming Wednesday, 6/6, at 6:30 am. Can't wait!!

RJ

14. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

This is a timely post. I just had my right eye done two weeks ago and my left eye this coming Monday. Everything the OP says was exactly like my experience. Very apprehensive before the first one, now I can't wait to get my left eye done so I can get out of this limbo of clear plus fuzzy vision.

rjtwangs likes this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I will have it done as soon as I meet Medicare criteria. I'm getting pretty close on the left eye but the right has a ways to go. Seeing the ophthalmologist in a couple of months to reevaluate.

16. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My elder brother had his done last year, perfect result. However, he has only had the use of one eye since an accident in '64 left him with no lens in his right eye. The doc sez, we'll take care of the cataract in your left eye...do you want us to fix the right eye? Minor surgery these days...

Now he has nearly perfect vision in both eyes...sees in stereo for the first time in over 50 yrs.

rjtwangs likes this.
  17. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Hopefully you will not have the complications I did. Cataract surgery greatly increases the risk of retina detachment. Retina reattachment surgery is very painful.

18. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I echo the OP's sentiment. Had both of mine done in 2014. Went from wearing contacts to 20/20 uncorrected. I loved it and still do!

rjtwangs likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Now, THAT is the very cool story, indeed!!!

Wonderful!

trapdoor2 and rjtwangs like this.
  20. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

I've had both my eyes done and never felt a thing, not even the injection that was the anaesthetic. And the result was brilliant vision, I joked afterwards that my vision was that good I could see thru' walls and around corners. Trouble was my young Grand daughter believed me for a while.. S:D

rjtwangs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.