Catalytic Converter Theft Ring Busted!

TeleTucson

Friend of Leo's
I was in SF yesterday for a play. Incredible numbers of unhoused in the streets in the rain.

Sometimes, in our town, we'll notice that someone did not pick up after their dog. What we saw yesterday on two occasions were people who didn't pick up after themselves.... kinda startling. They also have workers on many street corners helping keep the unhoused and often mentally ill organized so that folks going to plays or shopping or going to their houses remain un harassed.

weird times.

I guess we've drifted from catalytic converters to drifters ... but, although not a native, SF was always my favorite city of all time. Something about it is charming and fun, with really nice vistas and lots of fun places and restaurants to visit. But in the last decade it slipped badly for the reasons you cite above, and now I can't even get my wife to join me on business trips. IMO, it's sad when a misguided spirit of acceptance and accommodation results in sustaining a pathetic and unhealthy existence for deeply troubled individuals.

guitar_paul1

Tele-Afflicted
IMG_20211213_210327.jpg

Spotted under a tree in a sketchy neighborhood. Is one of these it?

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I guess we've drifted from catalytic converters to drifters ... but, although not a native, SF was always my favorite city of all time. Something about it is charming and fun, with really nice vistas and lots of fun places and restaurants to visit. But in the last decade it slipped badly for the reasons you cite above, and now I can't even get my wife to join me on business trips. IMO, it's sad when a misguided spirit of acceptance and accommodation results in sustaining a pathetic and unhealthy existence for deeply troubled individuals.

it'll be back. it isn't all neighborhoods... and it will get resolved. just a hard time to do it this minute.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
glad to hear it..but i'm wondering if those folks that had them stolen..get them back? ..or are the covered by insurance that they now have to pay more for?

I know two people who had theirs taken, in both cases insurance covered it (deductible required) what they were told is that if they catch the people, the deductible will be refunded and they'll pursue payment from the thieves.

perttime

Friend of Leo's
I had mine stolen a year ago from a Honda Accord. Unfortunately in CA. you can't replace it with a used one and mine cost $1050 to replace just so some scumbag could make maybe $50 or so. I hate thieves with a passion.....
When I needed to replace the cat on my old Audi, I found that OEM ones are pretty costly. An aftermarket one was much less and has been passing emission tests just fine.

tery

Doctor of Teleocity
Just bust the slime bags who buy the catalytic converters :)

Last edited:

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Walked out with a co-worker one day. He went to his brand new Honda Civic. Got in the car and started it, the car ran like crap! :eek: Then he tried to move it, the brakes didn't work! :eek::eek: Come to find out someone had crawled under the dang car, cut the Cat right out and didn't care what else they cut through... brake lines and all!!! :eek::eek::eek: In broad daylight no less. It was crazy... unfortunately they never caught em. How the heck they did that with no one seeing/hearing a thing is still a mystery, including whatever tool they used. Yes... it certainly does happen, sadly, and I was there to see it. Nuts man.
Welcome to the world of battery powered recip saws. In and out in 2 minutes.

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
Fairly common occurrence in this town..off to the muffler shop, $50 for a straight pipe, and problem solved.
That's exactly what I did last Spring when my daughter had her Cat stolen from her Jeep Cherokee. I measured the length and diameter needed, and promptly headed over to Fleet Farm for the piece of straight pipe needed to replace the Cat. Easy fix.

BobbyZ

Doctor of Teleocity
Boat landings are a popular spot to steal cats, unattended pickup trucks all over.
I'd imagine it goes like this for a cat thief, hook up a boat, grab the cordless SawsAll and start cruising the boat landings. Pretty easy to see the boats on the lake or someone driving in.
Copper is another one. They go into gravel pits with rock crushers or hot mix plants on weekends and load up on huge cords. Most of those use big diesel generators, if it's off, no power. Company I used to work for lost a lot of them.
Maybe cats are more profitable now?

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
There’s a charity in this part of the world that lost the cat on their delivery truck to thieves. Twice. I don’t get as mouth-frothing as some folks about property theft in general, but from a truck with a charity’s name on it? One step above animal cruelty, if you ask me.

Reply deleted: My error for misreading the above comment. My apologies to all ....

Last edited:

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
In the People's Republic of New York State not only can you not just put in a straight pipe, a replacement cat must be brand new CARB certified. Used, salvaged, or recycled catalytic converters cannot be installed after June 1, 2013 on any vehicle. Failure to follow the regulations can result in a minimum fine of $500 for a first violation and up to $26,000 for each subsequent violation.

Unfortunately there are probably a lot more catalytic converter thefts than people intentionally removing them.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
There’s a charity in this part of the world that lost the cat on their delivery truck to thieves. Twice. I don’t get as mouth-frothing as some folks about property theft in general, but from a truck with a charity’s name on it? One step above animal cruelty, if you ask me.

Poverty theft ? Well, that's an apologistic phrase. They need some poverty jail-time.
Apologistic? I said “property” not “poverty.” If I get into a discussion about poverty, it won’t be online, and certainly not on a guitar forum.