Catalytic Converter Theft Causes Deaths

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I’d have to see more details

Were they in their garage with the door closed

Catalytic converters have only been on vehicles since around 1974, I’ve never heard about crazy amounts of death before their implementation

Thieves suck, someone on my fathers car forum had theirs stolen

Last edited:

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
This story is full of loose ends.

Who just sits in a vehicle, once they realize a major component of the exhaust is gone?

If we concede that some gasses would be discharged towards the garage door, few and none are the people who would just remain in a garage filled with raw emissions.

This just doesn't make any sense.

Finally, I would wager that for every 1 catalytic converter that is stolen from a vehicle in a closed garage, that 50 to 100 cats get stolen from vehicles out in the open or in carports.

Just think for one moment, how loud it would have had to have been in that garage, with an unmuffled exhaust.

+

IF we are saying, these people suffered the loss of the converter previously, then got in the car to use it anyway and did so IN the garage? This is goofy. Georgia is not that cold at this time - it is quite mild over this way right now. Heck, I left a car to air out the night before last - windows and trunk wide open, out in the open air - this is the weather we pray for, all the rest of the year.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
@boris bubbanov

I doesn't say they were sitting in the garage. I would not assume that they were since it should be common sense not to. It also doesn't say how old the couple was. Maybe they couldn't smell the exhaust. Older vehicles also tend to smell like oil and fuel. Obviously, you don't smell carbon dioxide.

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
They had to know something was wrong. With the CC off, the engine is blasting out through straight pipes. It's ear-splittingly loud. I can't imagine sitting in a closed car long enough to die from CO poisoning with that racket going on. It's hard to explain unless they were homeless, living in their car, and running the engine for heat.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
There are two facts here. Their catalytic converter was stolen. They died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Why does it really matter if they did something which also partially contributed to their deaths?

If a drunk driver crashes into another vehicle and kills an occupant who's not wearing their seat beat, do you blame that person for not wearing their seat belt?

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
There are two facts here. Their catalytic converter was stolen. They died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Why does it really matter if they did something which also partially contributed to their deaths?

If a drunk driver crashes into another vehicle and kills an occupant who's not wearing their seat beat, do you blame that person for not wearing their seat belt?

No, but it is odd.

I had my catalytic converter stolen once (at a Guitar Center parking lot of all places), and when I turned my car on it roared and rumbled like a motorcycle (it was a 2000 4Runner with nothing special about it). I only drove it home slow and with the windows down (really just to monitor the noise in case something changed/got worse) after my dad told me to drive it home to check it out.

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
Last week a lady was parked out front of my church. I was working the security desk watching the camera that sweeps back and forth out front. A car parked in front of her vehicle and sat there with the lights on for a couple minutes. Not a great neighborhood so I locked the cam on them and zoomed in.

Driver got out and looked around but never looked at her car, then walked around to the passenger side, looked at his front tire, and started talking to whoever was with him through the window. So I go out on the deck and make sure he/they saw me.

I go back in to watch the camera. The driver opens his trunk and goes back to his front passenger side and squats down looking at the tire. Goes back to the trunk and gets a toolbox and goes back to his front tire. So I'm thinking they have car trouble of some sort. But I left the cam locked on them.

Another lady leaves and is parked out back so I walk her to her car. Come back and they still appear to be working on their car.

Another lady parked out back is ready, so same deal, walked her out. Right about the time I'm back within sight of them I hear two quick bursts of air and see the passenger jump in the suspects car and drive off.

The flattened the lady's two driver side tires. So I'm ready to walk across the street to her car and see if they hit the other two tires and the guys ride back by. Pretty bold.

So I call the police, tell the lady what happened and wind the tape back to show her while we waited for the police and the tow truck.

The guys could see the door that I walked out, taking the gals to their car. The first one I walked out, they saw us and quickly got on the ground and looked under the target car with a flashlight.
The second lady I walked out was when they popped the tires. Not sure why they waited so long, but that's when they did it, when I was almost already back.

The guys ride back by again while we are waiting for the police. Again, pretty bold and lead us to think they are armed, in a stolen vehicle, had a stolen tag, or all the above.

Cops come, tow truck comes, and just as the tow truck pulls away, the guys ride back by again. The lady was waiting on the curb for her ride who just texted her to come on out and at that point was terrified, but did get their tag number.

I wound the tape back and on the far edge of the cam image I saw that the guys were parked up the street watching the tow truck.

Lady got a call next morning from the tire shop she had it towed to. Their cam got them pulling in within seconds of the tow truck leaving. They got her cc and helped themselves to 5 others that were parked on the lot.

Guess they have been doing it for awhile.

Anyhow, our cam got a great headshot of the driver when I zoomed in on him. He was looking straight at the cam when I caught it and the officer that took the report said it was golden. Hopefully it's enough to put him where he belongs.