Catalinbread Naga Viper treble booster

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by D_Malone, Sep 11, 2019.

1. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I’ve owned quite a few treble boosters and have used them on and off for years. I love the dynamics and the way they push your sound forward, but they’re typically noisy and a bit too “honky” for me. Germanium transistors can be problematic too. The Naga Viper solves/mitigates these issues.

It’s been out for years and there are lots of glowing reviews. I don’t know why it took me so long to try it, but I’m loving it.

If you’ve tried treble boosters before but were turned off by the issues listed above I would highly recommend giving the Naga Viper a try.

RiverDog and Snfoilhat like this.
  2. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

I've only become familiar with treble boosters in the last few years. After buying a nice but noisy TB and living with it for a while, I, too noticed all the great reviews of the Naga Viper and so recently bought one. I'm a cheapskate and generally avoid buying expensive pedals but the NG is absolutely worth every penny.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    D_Malone likes this.
  3. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

100% agree.

D_Malone likes this.
  4. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I've been intrigued by Treble Boosters lately and the Naga Viper is on my radar... but it's really expensive for such a simple circuit. Then again, most of the current recreations are expensive.

I saw in a JHS video that the BBE Freq Boost is a Rangemaster circuit that subs opamps for the finicky germaniums... and those are cheap as chips, if you can find one.

D_Malone likes this.
  5. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

It is relatively expensive, but it’s very well executed. It has less noise than any TB I’ve tried, will do everything from Rangemaster to full frequency boost, sparkling clean to dirty, and it is built with a silicon transistor. If it didn’t deliver on all those things I’d say it was over-priced.

6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

They're easy to DIY if you can do that. I find they work best when the amp is cranked and compressing - not so good on an amp that has headroom left.

D_Malone likes this.
  7. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I think that my be the reason treble boosters aren’t more popular. They sound horrible into a clean amp. Not a “bedroom pedal”.

tlsmack likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.