1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Catalinbread Effects Founder Killed In Accident

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cat MacKinnon, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

2. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

A dang falling tree? I am sure that happens more than we realize, but it seems so random.

3. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

{Edit} deleted

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  4. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

What a shame. Classic case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Lots of trees fell in the Pacific NW in the last couple of days. Too bad he was under one of them.

5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Man, that is truly awful. Our time here is so tenuous, it's easy to forget how quick the cane can pull you off the stage.

beyer160 likes this.
  6. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Agreed. Not exactly respectful, even in jest.

Did he have some "personality" issues? He was booted from TDPRI 5+ years ago, and the company's announcement on their Facebook page even alludes to his lacking social skills. Strange that they would put that in there. It indicates some level of resentment toward him among his employees.

7. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

He posted quite a bit on TGP in the amp section and I had a lot of conversations with him about vintage fender amps.

I have never seen a negative post by him. He was always polite and had good things to say.

8. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know whether putting quotations around "contentious" in their announcement alludes to a lack of social skills or employee resentment so much as perhaps an in-joke for those who knew him personally. Founders and visionaries are often pretty polarizing and controversial. He sounds like a guy who knew what he wanted for his company, and knew how to get his troops to go out and grab it and make it happen.

9. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Friend of Leo's

Five years ago a 150 foot poplar tree fell on my house. If I had been in that part of the house I would have been killed. Insurance paid for most of the repair, it cost about fifty grand to get the house back to normal.

People think that trees are just a benign thing of nature, but fresh wood is very heavy.

They had to bring in a 50 ton crane to lift the last 20 feet of the trunk of my tree, the crane operator said it was probably about 20 tons.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Too true. Below are a couple of pics of my back yard and driveway after Katrina. 100'+ pine trees dropped everywhere. And it doesn't end when the storm is over...it strikes you that there a bunch of trees out there that were about to go down with 5, 10, 15 minutes more wind. For the next few months until the root systems re-strengthened their hold, every time the wind kicked up I held my breath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

Seems to me that if the company is gonna call him "contentious" in their memorial, they should have had someone else write it.
    Regardless, it's a really random and sad thing. He created some really cool pedals. In his honor, I ordered the Formula 5 pedal I had been looking at for a while.
    Sounds like the company is going to continue. I hope they do right by him and his family.

12. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

I have a feeling that the whole contentious thing was an inside joke they had with him, I don't think they meant it in a negative way despite the negative implications

Chud likes this.
  13. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.