Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret (DLS)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by burntfrijoles, May 8, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The DLS is the one pedal I have that I will never sell. It’s the pedal that I’ve owned the longest, along with my Catalinbread 5F6. I’ve owned both of them for close to 10 years.
    I think the DLS is the best Marshall-in-a-box pedal I’ve heard or owned. Coupled with my special edition PRRI with a 12 inch speaker, it gives me all the Marshall tones that I prefer.
    It has an internal switch which can be toggled between “Super lead” or “Super Bass” modes. I really wish they would have externalized that toggle because I like the super Bass mode for early Marshall sounds and the super lead mode for classic rock. Both sides work well with a fuzz pedal in front.
    Anyone a DLS? If so, do you prefer the Super Lead or Super Bass mode.

Festofish, richiek65 and scook like this.
  2. surf_jimi

surf_jimi Tele-Meister

It’s one of 2 dirt pedals I have on my board. I’ve had one for years and I must have set the switch and forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me. I’ll have to go check it out!

3. burntfrijoles

They’re very different voicings but still Marshall’s and I like both.
    The pedal is why I have never bought an actual Marshall.

4. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I built my modified mkiii with the switch on the outside and yeah, probably my favorite overdrive especially at 18v

BGLeduc likes this.
  5. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

Interesting. I sold mine after just a few months as I found it to be way too dark. I got it used and didn’t even know about the internal switch. Does that brighten it up?

6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I drilled a hole in the bottom plate of mine so I can switch modes without removing the plate. It's a small hole, I cover it with a square of grey gaffers' tape.

I recently picked up a Ramble FX Marvel Drive V3, I'm looking forward to shooting it out with my DLS once I can be around my loud amps again.

"Superlead" mode is definitely brighter than "Superbass", but I wouldn't call either one "dark", IMHO.

7. Vibro Chimp

Vibro Chimp TDPRI Member

Superlead Mode is brighter, and I always keep it in that mode. There’s also a trimpot inside that allows you to adjust the brightness.
    I absolutely love this pedal. If you need cranked amp sounds at household volumes, it is perfect.

burntfrijoles likes this.
  8. burntfrijoles

This!
    In Super Bass mode, I always lower the bass tone control setting. I’ve read that Super Lead models were brighter amps so, in that regard, I think the DLS modes follow the attributes of their the Marshall models they try to emulate.

9. Jaggersan

Jaggersan TDPRI Member

I think it’s intended use as a foundation overdrive, pretend it’s your amp and run everything in front of it. Fuzz drive etc

10. burntfrijoles

That’s true. The only thing I put in front of it is a fuzz. I don’t need to boost or drive the DLS. It does it’s Marshall thing and that’s enough.

11. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

I had DLS two times. First experience was relatively good for both modes. Good sound, nice for stacking, but sold one for some reasons.
    Then I bought one again about a year ago, but not that great this time. Just could not find a good balance nor at home, nor live. It works ok with some amps, but it always was something wrong: too muddy, too harsh or gain structure was a bit odd. Maybe my tastes a bit different now, or maybe it's more rig-dependent, then other Catalinbread pedals. So, after almost a year try to find sweet spot by changing modes, adjusting presence and tonestack, I decided to sell it.

As for 5F6, also buy and sell it for a couple times. But I have a lot better experience with this. Especially for lower gain. It works nice in SL mode also, but I am always ended up with SB mode. Clean, clear sound, but nice grit. Also, great stacker with many other pedals. Also, like to place delay before it for more "classic rock" feel.
    One concern, is that it had some mid scoop, and mids knob does not adjust this area, but still, this is part of the pedal sound

Another one, which worth to mention is SFT. I have one without switch. Pedal somewhat on the darker side, but baxandall control, helps a lot. Also, nice mids content. Sounds "thick" even with my single coils.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.