1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Catalinbread 5f6 formula or dsl 3 on super bass mode for fuzz pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Tinsacer, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Tinsacer

Tinsacer TDPRI Member

hello, i have a princeton reverb clone and i dont always like the way the fuzzface and some other fuzzes sound with a clean amp, i looooove a fuzzface into a amp thats breaking up, it gets huge and wild, hendrix live type tones.

Ive seen that the dls 3 has a sb switch and its good for stacking fuzzes but the 5f6 on paper seems like it should be dedicated to the super bass option.

Which one should i buy? Also there is no option to try them in a store where i live.

2. tedtan

tedtan Tele-Meister

The 5F6 is based on a late 50's Fender Tweed Bassman whereas the DLS is based on a Marshall (Super Lead and Super Bass modes). The DLS on bass mode will be more "Marshally", which is probably going to get you closer to Hedrix's live fuzz tone if that's your goal.

3. Tinsacer

Tinsacer TDPRI Member

im torn because the jtm45 is essentially a bassman...and hendrix had his marshalls modded for less gain...i know thos doesnt mean much because its a pedal not an amp lol but still...

I can only buy one of them, i wish someone who has both would compare fuzz stacking, i cant order the pedals to my country and send the one i like back because there is no shop with catalinbread here in Croatia

4. tedtan

tedtan Tele-Meister

Maybe in theory, but in practice they sound pretty different. I have both and the Super Bass mode on the DLS is more likely to get you where you want to go.

Look on Youtube.com (note the .com); there are several videos that will show both both the DLS and the 5F6 (with and without fuzz). They both sound good with fuzz; choose the one the one you prefer as the "base tone" and run with it.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd agree that you want the Marshall specific DLS.

I had a 5f6 reissue and several Hendrix era Marshalls together.
    The 5f6 really sounds nothing like the Marshalls used by Hendrix.

On paper doesn't really work here.

Another thing you might consider is a simple mod to the PR clone to add some mids.

If you want Hendrixy tones you don't want BF Fender mid scooped tones.
    I struggled using BF Fender amps for years trying to get a mids forward sound out of them. An amp with mid forward EQ is far better for mid forward tones!
    You could also get a mid knob added to the back panel so you can set it to stock mid scoop or more Brutish mid forward tones.

Of course Hendrix did use BF/SF Fender amps on some recordings for his clean sounds, but here you're talking about his distorted sounds.

6. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Where did you hear that Hendrix's Marshalls were modded for less gain?. That's a new one on me. I do know that a Marshall stack belonging to Jimi was checked out by a place that was doing some maintenance on it and it had the EL34's replaced with 6550's (this was an older one than the ones that Rose Morris had the 6550's installed in later).
    Al

7. tedtan

tedtan Tele-Meister

In the early 70's, Marshall's US distributor and many US retailers were complaining of broken EL34 tubes, so they witched to 6550s for durability for many years. With Jimi's touring schedule, I could see a necessity for more durable tubes.

8. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I mentioned that Jimi's amps were changed to 6550 before the Rose Morris fiasco. Rose-Morris (the North American Marshall distributor at the time) was having too many warranty issues because the fragile EL34's were getting messed up in shipping, so they started changing them out to 6550's without re-biasing them. Then people complained that the new Marshalls didn't sound as good as the last ones. When Jim Marshall heard about this, he started changing out the tubes for the amps bound for North America at the factory, and biasing them correctly for the change. He didn't like Rose-Morris putting 6550's in the amps, but he figured that if they were going to do it anyway they'd at least be biased right. As soon as his contract with Rose-Morris ran out, he cut ties with them, and immediately went back to putting EL34's in the amps, he never liked the 6550's in there as he thought the EL's were the Marshall sound. This is talked about in one of the Marshall books. The Hendrix amps were changed by his people, before all this took place. Many of Jimi's amps were English ones, and he also had ones that had been shipped to America, which he would stash across the country in different places so they didn't have to haul them around everywhere they went, they would already be there for the parts of his tours in certain areas of the country. Supposedly, in both cases he had the tubes switched to 6550's for reliability, just like he started using the bass cabs with the 30 watt bass Celestions because he was blowing up so many greenbacks.
    Al

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.