Catalinbread 18v question please

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by CaineIsCarter, Jul 11, 2019.

1. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

Hi folks

Bought a Catalinbread SFT; it arrives tomorrow.

I’ve read bits and pieces about using an 18v adapter for this pedal. Can someone please explain why this might be a good thing, and whether it’s worth it for a home player?

Edit: just noticed my power supply has a 500ma/18v DC out - is this suitable?

Thanks

2. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

It increases the head room. I did not find the increased voltage to be that much of an advantage for my playing. It is a very good sounding pedal at 9v.

CaineIsCarter likes this.
  3. CaineIsCarter

Thanks a lot

4. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Generally, the 18 volt option on drive pedals gives a slightly more open, less compressed feel. At low volumes, it can be hardly noticeable. I see you have an 18 volt supply. Let us know what you find!

5. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I think the current draw is 35MA. Your 18v supply should work just fine. Have fun.

6. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

I have their Echorec pedal and using an 18v adapter gives the repeats a little more oomph. Not noticeable at all in a live mix so I stick with the 9v.

7. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

I have found that the only pedals I like with more juice are delays. I think compressors and dirt pedals generally don't sound better w/ 18 volts and prefer them with 9 (or less, in the case of some fuzz pedals). Ymmv, but of course.

8. CaineIsCarter

My SFT arrived and I had five minutes with it at lunchtime. I felt slightly underwhelmed, but of course I’ll need a lot more time to get it dialled in.

I’m looking for a Brown Sugar sort of tone. To those of you who have this pedal, do you have any recommended settings? Is it best used in front of a clean amp (Blues Jr), or on the edge of breakup?

I’m looking forward to having a proper play with it this weekend, but any suggestions would be very welcome.
    Cheers

9. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Howard doing the demo is also the designer, he has several SFT videos on youtube! DId someone say Brown Sugar?!

Obsessed and CaineIsCarter like this.
  10. CaineIsCarter

Thanks, I’ve seen that video before (it was the reason I wanted an SFT) but I wish I knew what his amp settings are. I assume it’s clean but can’t be certain.

11. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Usually Howard sets his Princeton pretty clean and lets the pedal act as the amplifier.

Obsessed and CaineIsCarter like this.
  12. CaineIsCarter

Had a really good play with the pedal this weekend and learned a lot about my amp in the process.

With the amp MV wide open and the volume at about 2, I get a lovely clean tone which I can then control with the SFT.

The sound of a Tele through this setup is addictive, and I get the Stones sound I’ve always wanted. Very pleased.

santiago53, Obsessed and tlsmack like this.
  13. TheTruth

TheTruth TDPRI Member

Overall higher voltage in general implies:
    - OD: More headroom, feels bigger, gradual clean range.. better clarity/dynamics , a lot of people say at higher voltage, it starts to sound less like a pedal & more amp-like.
    - Compressor: Mostly a volume boost & some added clarity at really low vol [Wampler forum mentions this with the Ego compressor]

Since I tried my OCD at 18V, I since started using the Timmy/ TS808 / EQ pedal & compressor, all at 18V.
    It's worth trying.
    The one place it may not work is when you're looking for compression, intentionally.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.