Cat won’t take pill - even crushed/mushed/mixed

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feline Herpes

Supposedly the reason for our cats semi-recurring snot, sneezing, very occasional coughing*

Eats dry food 95% of the time.

Will gobble up wet sloppy canned food when we give it to her as a treat a couple times a week.

But if you crush up a tiny little amoxicillin pill superfine and mix it really well in the wet food? She walks over to what she would normally inhale - and walks right away.

She’s totally active, rowdy as all hell, we have to keep her from destroying the chipmunks outside (She’s on a zip line) but when she sneezes it ain’t pretty.

Anybody else with an animal that just won’t take pills ? Now that I think of it, she’s really bad with drops too - I had to go back to the vet a couple of times for them to give her an even drops in our back Jae area.

*I’ve never been clear on the coughing. Sometimes she does that, I think, cuz she wants to hork up a hairball or has just horked one up.

Cats are confounding...

8barlouie likes this.
  2. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I can’t remember is it was a cat or dog but we had one that we couldn’t fool into eating meds. We had to pry it’s mouth open and toss the thing well down it’s throat and may have coated it with a little oil of some type to help it along. It was pretty much a two person operation.

On second thought it was certainly a cat.

3. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Cats are like ninjas when it comes to stuff like this. Their sense of smell is unbelievable and you'll never fool them.

When my cats needed pills, it was always a two person job. One person to hold the cat firmly but gently in place while the second squeezes the cat's mouth open (there are reflex-like spots on the side of a cat's mouth that you have to find and then it'll just pop open), drops the pill down the hatch, and then closes the mouth and gently rubs the animal's throat to compel swallowing. It can be done, but there's a definitely a knack to it. It takes practice and you're going to fail a lot at first. It takes a steely combination of firmness, dexterity and technique to pull it off. It's no fun for either human or feline, but it can be done.

My guess is that youtube will have some good instructional videos on how to give a pill to a cat. I'd check there first. But I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and take a more "hands on" approach.

4. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Maybe the cat knows something the vet doesn't?
    You could always trade the cat for a Labrador Retriever. You won't have that problem with a lab. Mine lives to eat - almost anything. Yeah, I know this isn't helping. Good luck though.:D

Fretting out, Stubee and Mike Eskimo like this.
  5. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

We have a cat that gets a pill every day. He’s probably more cooperative than most, but we just wrap a hand around his head and pry open his mouth with one hand and poke the pill deep into his mouth with the other. It’s a really quick maneuver. Takes practice. Gets easier every time.

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Open snout between thumb and forefinger with head tilted back.

Drop pill down throat and poke it over the tongue with a little finger.

Cats will never eat anything tainted with something they can't recognise.

Difference between cats and dogs is dogs smell the poison and will still eat it. Even if the cat can't recognise it, it won't.

LunarSlingShot and Mike Eskimo like this.
  7. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Little plastic pill shooter looks like a syringe sorta. Holds the pill on the end and pops it off with a little plunger. Stick em butt first between your legs get a hunk of neck. Give em a neck yank or two, tip head back and stuff/shoot em. Takes a little practice, but it's fast and consistent. Get it down to a few seconds and they don't even care.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I use a "pill shooter" that I got from the vet. Basically a little rubber-tipped syringe thing. Takes a little bit of technique but works fine.

The cat doesn't really know there is medicine coming. Surprise! WTF was that!?!

Rocket, the dog, however, has ESP or something. He knows... The only good thing is that Rocket has never fought me to take a pill. He just won't open his mouth. So, he sits and looks disgusted but lets me pry his mouth open and push a pill down his throat. No wiggle, no fight. I do get a nasty look or two afterwards though.

9. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Might be time for an enimao_O:confused::eek:

10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Only way I could get my cat to take one is to push it down past the tongue, or at least to the rear of the tongue. Open mouth, push fast!

bloomz likes this.
  11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Have your wife hide it in that stick of butter she feeds him every day.

12. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Try pulling any of these maneuvers with our feline, and you might just as well stick your hand in a blender and push the purée button. Good luck. Let us know how you did it in case we ever have to administer meds to our ninjamatic.

stratofortress and trapdoor2 like this.
  13. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Love these. Never a problem after using this and this is the proper technique.

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Crushing it up and putting it in food is the worst route to take. It disperses it and spreads the nasty taste around, and it's far easier for them to smell (i.e. to know it's there). You wouldn't take your antibiotics either if they were crushed up and mixed into a spoon of mashed potatoes...but you'd take a whole pill and swallow it, no problem, right?

You either crush it up in a liquid and inject the liquid into the back of their mouth using a syringe (without needle, obviously), or you just bite the bullet and "pill" (verb) their asses. Hold them like a baby, swaddle them if necessary, however works with your cat. Then force their mouth open with a finger or thumb applying pressure at one edge of the mouth. Then jam the pill down their throat, literally. Place it so far back that they can't really cough it up, and they have to swallow it instead. Wrapping it in a Greenies brand Pill Pocket (or similar item) can help with this (but I would still shove it to the back, as opposed to just letting them eat it on their own).

I've had some very difficult to pill cats in my life. You have to just keep your cool, and accept whatever it is they do to you. Scratches and bites aren't that bad, and they will heal without infection if you treat them properly. You will get bit, clawed, whatever, at times. It will piss you off; it's only instinct that it will. But it's not their fault they don't like to be restrained and have stuff force fed to them. No animal does.

cnlbb, Mike Eskimo and idjster like this.
  15. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

We have the same problem with our cats. It is always such a pleasure watching the vets do it - they're real pros! Our dear departed dog? Put a dab of peanut butter on it and down it goes. And then she wanted more. We had to get a liquid med for one of our cats once and it came flavoured as banana. What self-respecting cat is going to even taste a banana let alone eat anything that tasted like it?

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  16. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Mother-in-law was a "crazy cat lady." She adopted feral cats on a regular basis...but couldn't handle them, so Miz Diane and I would have to drive over to administer meds, capture them for vet visits, etc. Our "cat kit" included a pair of heavy welding gloves. One particular cat, "Fang" was per your description. No matter what you did, you were going to bleed. The vet used sticky red dots on their file folders to indicate a dangerous patient. One sticky dot = recalcitrant, two = biter, etc. Fang's folder had the entire top edge lined with red dots.

Smart vet though, the second time we showed up with Fang, they simply stuffed him and the crate in a plastic bag and gassed him with anesthetic. No worries. We did that for 10 yrs.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

If I drive our cat to the vet, they will do it for free.
    They like our boys.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  18. jiri_c

jiri_c TDPRI Member

18 years old cat here, two pills per day. not sure if the method is generally valid and transferrable, but she gets her pill covered in creamcheese, licking it from the finger. works so far. four years already. good luck!

bloomz and Mike Eskimo like this.
  19. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I use the cream cheese method with my dog. It usually works. When he plays hard to get, I just shove it down his throat. Then again, he doesn't have sharp claws.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  20. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.