Cat, Pigeons, Amongst - Boss Katana MKII

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by TokyoPortrait, Oct 3, 2019.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

Was just considering whether I should read all of the various "I tried a ToneMaster" posts and I noticed this in my sidebar.

Ready, set, go!

Pax/
    Dean

Alter and Keefsdad like this.
  2. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

Some useful additions to an already useful box

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

And what are your thoughts?

4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Sorry, I'll get back to you on this. Gotta go to a rugby match.

5. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Probably the worst world cup in the history.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That's the Katana MK 11 100 watt 2 X 12 amplifier and all guitars are different. So- is it a clinically true test?
    Danish Pete plays well but there's so much variation there you can hardly judge what you like.
    I liked the acoustic playing. But, that's just this one man's opinion.

Joshiquad likes this.
  7. horax

horax Tele-Holic

don't know whether to sell the mki and try for an mkii or just get a different amp altogether.

8. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 TDPRI Member

Since the amp will used at home for pleasure only, I took a chance and placed a pre-order for the MK2 100 on the weekend.

I’m interested to test it with both my Tele and my Taylor. The price, weight and footprint are attractive as well.

I’m not expecting tube tones, but for pleasure I’m sure it will work. I’ve grown tired of replacing tubes, chasing gremlin sounds and dealing with the dead weight of Fender’s, Marshall’s and Vox alike. Even if I have to add a Fishman LB for my Taylor, the cost of both will be considerably less than my last tube amp.

Does anyone know when Boss is shipping? All I’ve seen on-line is “Coming Soon”

9. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Lord, I want Danish Pete's fingers.

10. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Wow, I wish all amp demos are like that!

11. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Sorry, taken a while to respond.

Honestly, I have no solid thoughts on this.

Personally, I'm not (I think) biased against solid state / modelling amps per se, but I generally "like the idea of" valve / tube amps.

You know, as things / objects. The technical considerations or performance considerations play no part in that. Like motorcycles. I prefer Harleys and Triumphs. No logic to it and I don't care that Japanese (or whatever) bikes might have "better" specs re speed, handling, economy, braking, weight, etc., it's just an intrinsic to me aesthetic thing I can't really control. That doesn't mean I'm blinkered or adamantly non practical though. I still have a Yamaha for commuting.*

So, with these amps (Katanas and the Tone Masters say), while I'm not overly interested in them, I appreciate the fact that they might be super practical and super useful for many people (variation of sounds, quality of sounds, switchable wattage, weight, etc.).

On the other hand, I do have a slight "it's not there yet' fear with modelling amps, based on the fact (okay, assumption) we seem to be destined to be having continually improving models, at least for a while yet. I don’t feel that way about valve amps, so for me that’s a little off putting.

On yet another hand, while I’m not in the market for a new amp, I do kinda like the idea of an affordable yet quality 'Fender' sounding amp to complement / contrast my Vox for my wee home recording projects.

I’m probably going to lug my guitar along to a shop at some stage to try out these Mk II Katanas and the Tone Masters. Just cos I can.

My other, "not personal to me" and more general thought is, probably most audience members or people listening can't tell the difference, but if the player can, or even if they just believe they can, and it affects how inspired they are and thus how well they play, then they should go with the one they feel is best. Ultimately it doesn't matter what the truth of the matter is, as long as the player feels inspired or excited by the sound they hear.

That's about all I got at the moment. Thanks.

Pax/
    Dean
    * Oh, and a Yamaha THR10 too I just realised

Mr Scallywag likes this.
  12. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Yes, but I was there to watch TJ Perenara's spectacular try, and that was very much fun. :)

13. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Keep what you have. If there wasn't a MKII, would you sell what you have ?

14. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Perhaps. I’ve been contemplating getting a small tube amp to complement my ac15

15. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I thought it was simply a Katana trade-off. If you're not loving the Katana, then the Mk2 isn't going to do it for you. What do you mean by "compliment" ? Combining in such a way as to enhance or emphasize the qualities of each other ? Many recommend a Fender Deluxe Reverb, and also a Fender Blues Jr III . Are you going to use both simulaneously, or separately ?

16. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Separately. I want something different than what I have for when I want a different sound.

17. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

I love my katana and spend a good bit of my playing time with it. I like it so much i just ordered the katana mini to give my fly 3 some competiton as the couch/ travel amp. Im still a tube guy at heart but I think boss really did a great job on these and they are very useful without the need to spend hours trying to tweak it.

With all of that said, im not sure ill "upgrade" to the mk2. The new modes are interesting and the main selling point for me but i think they missed the mark by not including bluetooth to edit the settings. That is the only feature that makes me look at other options every now and then. I dont use a pc at home (i work with them all day) and have converted most all of my personal useage to my phone, so having to dust off the laptop just to fiddle with the deeper settings is a pain. The flipside is you really dont have to edit the katanas like you do with the competition so its really not that important, but would have been what sold me.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

18. horax

horax Tele-Holic

I think the selling point is the five effects at a time instead of three.

I wish there was a way to see what the effects were specifically (tube screamer, clean boost, etc) without being plugged into a pc.

Only way they can do that is with a mini screen like the mustang 3. BUT that takes away the simplicity of the boss.

Not sure it’s enough to make me buy one now, BUT it might entice me to get a 100 watt mki when prices come down.

19. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 TDPRI Member

I picked up my MK2 100 tonight, the owners manual does have a chart showing which effects the amp was shipped with from the factory. While I understand that’s not exactly what you’re looking for, at least it’s a start?

You could print the chart and update as you change the effects. Or use a label maker for on amp visuals. Labels come off easily and provide a good visual if you like to change up your effects often.

Just a suggestion.

20. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

The lack of being able to see clearly what is / isn't activated i(and adjust it without a computer present) is the Katana's fatal flaw. It's worse if you use the "sneaky amps" stuff - then you don't even know which amp it's supposed to be pretending to be. I just can't deal with that stuff.

In my experience the sounds are excellent for this price point.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.