Cast iron cookware

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by otterhound, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

They used to be cheap, as they get trendy, the price goes up, same as any trend. Serious chili cooks swear CI is the only way to go, it puts iron in the beef, or something. I like cooking with a nicely seasoned CI, but in real life, I use mostly non-stick; it's so easy to clean. I got an All-Clad stainless skillet for cheap, years ago. They're crazy expensive now, $255 retail.

Ha, I just checked e-bay, there's plenty to be had for under 20 bucks, but some "vintage" items are $500- $1000, even one for $3500!!!

2. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Some of the boutique cast iron companies are using very high quality US materials and making very fine products.
    I don't know if they are better than finding some old antique US cast iron, but they are better than most of todays imports, and even some of the Lodge. The Field Company and FINEX both make very high-end cast iron that is smoother and lighter than Lodge, and will last centuries. I personally haven't justified the price to get any, but I haven't ruled out not getting one yet.

https://fieldcompany.com

https://finexusa.com

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  3. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ignore the noise.

Lodge brand is cheap as heck. It's made in the US (if that's your thing). And it works great.

I only have 2 skillets. And they both live on the stove. They're the "daily drivers."

The first is the 12" lodge cast iron. And the other is a Matfer Bourgeat 062005 Black Steel.

Both were about $50. And serve me great.

upload_2018-3-25_23-38-29.png

tedbergstrand likes this.
  4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Stop by Lodge in Tennesee and buy direct. You can buy their cosmetic defects for super-cheap.

Cast iron cooking is the foundation of American cuisine. I've got skillets that have passed down through my family and I use them for what they're good for. That's not all things(!), but there is no substitute for what they're good for.

JustABluesGuy and PingGuo like this.
  5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm already handicapped by having to cook on a electric ceramic topped range. No way would I try to use cast iron. Also, I don't really fry anything in the house. I cook in the oven lots but can't see any real benefit to cast iron.

My grandfather had the giant cast iron skillet on the stove. He made everything in that skillet. House really smelled like it too...o_O

Milspec and JayFreddy like this.
  6. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Get dropped or fall on the floor. An enameled cast iron will crack the enamel, and non-enameled cast iron will crack the floor.

Blue Bill and Milspec like this.
  7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I'd rather crack a pan.

8. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I don't know what brand/s of cast iron skillets my wife has but she has two sizes, one larger, one smaller. She uses them all the time, to the point that she's gotten rid of her wok to do stir fries in the skillets. If I know my wife they aren't very expensive ones either. But they do work well!

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

High-acid foods will break down your seasoning and dissolve the non-stick coating.

10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

As my Grandmother once told me, the "old iron pans are non-stick, heat evenly, and provide a little bit of iron fortification to your foods". Teflon is fine, the real problem is a cheap teflon coating that starts to flake off...throw those pans away immediately. Do all my cooking with chef quality Stainless Steel pots and antique cast iron skillets. You really can't go wrong with those tools when using a gas range.

11. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Surely, but in my experience both of those are fine. I wouldn't simmer a sauce all day but I routinely cook both tomatoes and soy sauce in mine. Once I even had them in there at the same time!

PingGuo likes this.
  12. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't think enameled cast iron is as non-stick as a well-seasoned non-enameled pan. I've got a couple of pieces of Le Creuset, and they're great for some things, but I'd rather use my good old Lodge pans.

I'm interested in trying out a Victoria pan. Epicurious rated them very highly and they're priced competitively with Lodge.

13. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I do my tomato based past sauce in a CI Skillet. No issues
    Cut 3-4 hot Italian links into 1" pieces
    Sauté in pan
    Dice onion, garlic, bell pepper & add to pan with a drizzle of EVOO
    Sauté until onions are translucent
    Add about 2# diced tomatoes & 1/4C tomato sauce (or 2 cans stewed tomatoes)
    Add a additional spices per our taste- basil, oregano, rosemary, bay leaf, etc
    Bring to a gentle boil
    Add sliced black olives& mushrooms & some dry white wine
    Simmer for 20 or so minutes until it's at the consistency you like

I've never had a bitter or acidic taste.

PingGuo likes this.
  14. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

When I married (first time around) we had a load of Le Creuset cast iron stuff. It was great quality and very versatile but I didn't really notice any difference in how things cooked.

I now have a really nice set of heavy gauge (but not cast iron) pans which have a non-stick coating and they seem just as good and wash up a lot quicker / easier.

I'm no chef and that's probably why they make no difference to me.

15. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

I used to collect, strip, de rust, re season pans to try and flip, but too many people saying they can get a new lodge for 20 bucks,

go get one, they don't NCN the insides any more, cept those new companies wanting too much money
    the older the pan the truer the iron, not like the ones of today made from melted down tanks, boats and engines ,,

my fav is a gatemarked late 1800 skillet

as with any kitchen tools, what you want to cook decides what pan to use

a photo of my pans when I started collecting cast iron pans.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I find that soy sauce leaves a sticky goo that's hard to remove without harming the seasoned surface.
    YMMV.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I cook almost exclusively with cast iron ... on a cast iron wood cookstove.:cool:

From my experience, the Lodge stuff suck. They do give even heat as one person pointed out, but their ironware is so thick, it takes a long time to warm up ... well, at least on a wood cookstove.:rolleyes: My favorites are the old Griswald. We did get a spendy La La Cruset Dutch oven as a gift and I love it. You do need to be careful with the inside lining.

JustABluesGuy, Sanity Inn and Bruxist like this.
  18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had one that had been in the family forever.
    One day, while eating dinner, I heard a DINK from the stove.
    Having worked with a lot of metal, I knew what it was immediately.
    After all those years, it just cracked while cooling.
    Anybody had that happen?

19. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I just bought a cast iron griddle at Walmart last week.
    My daughter had an aluminum griddle that warped every time you use it, quite aggravating.
    It also moved all around when you use it, quite dangerous.
    This new griddle weights a ton, once you get it set right on the burners the weight of the thing keeps it from moving.
    I brought it home and heated it up as much as possible, the let it cool and oiled it down with olive oil.
    This thing only cost $9.88, so not as expensive as used ones around here.
    The Goodwill and some of the Thrift Store act like they're used cast iron is made out of gold.
    It’s been my experience that non stick is good for eggs, and that’s about it.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I did get one of these Lodge cast iron scrubbers and it makes cleaning cast iron a breeze. Two years and will never go back. IMG_2962.JPG

JustABluesGuy and Bruxist like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.