Cast iron cookware appreciation thread...show off your creations

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I love cast iron cookware. I have three pieces now - all Lodge pans, one that's about 4" deep with a lid. I know from previous threads here that a lot of TDPRI'ers prefer cast iron, too. I haven't seen any threads that show what's been cooked in cast iron, though. So, I'll start this off with a couple shots of the Sweet Potato Casserole I made a few days ago. Recipe is from the Lodge "Cast Iron Nation" cookbook. Turned out great, but would reduce the amount of sugar and brown sugar next time. It was just too sweet. I'll also add some raisins next time.
IMG_2854.jpg
IMG_2855.jpg

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
I have a bunch of old Lodge pans I got cheap at thrift stores. I stripped them and recoated them all. Got a chain mail pad to clean them with.

This one I bought new and use it almost daily. We don't have room for a BBQ here so I do grilled chicken and steaks on it. It's all about those grill marks! I love it.

71ysWjFu9PL._AC_SX466_.jpg

grill-marks-bud.jpg

kuch

Tele-Holic
I use mine all the time.
Yesterday I made some boneless pork ribs and greens-collards and chard. Cooked up the greens in the dutch oven with bacon, onions, and a little liquid smoke for about 4 hours. Cooked up the pork ribs in a covered 12" skillet with rock salt, garlic, and a little liquid smoke for about 3-4 hours at 250 degrees. Yumm!!

sorry no pics, we ate it all up

rghill

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Just tried making Picadillo in my Lodge porcelain dutch oven last night.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
We have a bunch of old ones from my mom. Don’t use. I think my favorite food memory was thin cut potatoes and onions !

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
That would be almost everything I cook. Unless I'm boiling water or cooking tomatoes, cast is all I use. I have a great collection, and I still really miss the small skillet I gave to my daughter when she moved away.

don71

Tele-Afflicted
We don't use our cast iron for primary skillet use. I do appreciate its qualities in the kitchen from time to time. We have several to choose from.

Corn bread in cast iron is one of my favorites. Love fried potatoes too. I like to do things cowboy style outside on a bed of briquettes and charcoal.

That pizza above looks great. I know what I'm doing this weekend.:D

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I bought a couple of Lodge pans for camping. Last Friday, our propane ran out while I was heating the grill for steaks. Since I was forced to cook inside, I decided to try the cast iron. Holy cow! They were the best steaks that I have ever cooked. It did fill the entire house with smoke though...

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I bought a couple of Lodge pans for camping. Last Friday, our propane ran out while I was heating the grill for steaks. Since I was forced to cook inside, I decided to try the cast iron. Holy cow! They were the best steaks that I have ever cooked. It did fill the entire house with smoke though...
Same--I got mine for campfire cooking and then thought to myself, I can either use this a couple of times a year outside, or a couple of times a week inside.

HomeOffisRockstar

TDPRI Member
I cook almost exclusive on cast iron. Have stainless steel pots and one nonstick pan. The other 7 or so are all Lodge cast iron pans and dutch ovens of varying sizes.

Nothing beats it in terms of flavor an even cooking.