1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Case Refit

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by krisls, Dec 21, 2013.

1. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

I have a Tak G series Nex as my stage guitar. Mostly I use an MBT polyfoam case but I also have an SKB 'plastic' one that I use sometimes. Trouble is it was never a great fit so the guitar rattled about a bit without a towel or something jammed down the side.

So I bought a yoga mat. Huh you say. Well..... peeled the lining back to the neck join. Cut out the base polystyrene, then cut an outline in said yoga mat of the Nex body. Glued that in then spent some time cutting pieces of yoga mat to 'fill in' the edges, then stretched a re-glued the lining.

Not a pro effort maybe but it works for me, much snugger fit now.

Kristina

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

Thought I'd post a follow up just so there's no goose egg on the right hand side. Took a couple of hours to do, much better fit now. Just have to tidy up a little along the edge of the metal valance. I will say I was surprised that the original foam was just moulded polystyrene. I thought it would be something slightly more hi-tech. Like yoga mat stuff, hah.

Definition of nutsoness, talking to yourself on an internet forum. :lol:

Kristina

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  3. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Looks good to me. There are all sorts of guitars that aren't an exact fit for standard cases so this looks like a great idea.

4. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

That looks like a good fit. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what a yoga mat is, but could use some filling on a generic case I got from MF for an old Washburn Harvest. I was using some old socks but they're not the right thing for everywhere I might be pulling the guitar out.

Would it be safe to say that any sort of dense padding would work? What materials are best to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any additional thoughts on this.

5. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

Yoga mat... http://www.kmart.com.au/product/blue-fitness-mat/122896 That's the one I bought, paid I think $7 on special.

Pretty sure it would be fine against the finish but it would be 'sticky'. That's why I put it behind the case lining material. I was using an old towel, which was fine but clumsy, better than socks though I suspect.

In part I just wanted to do it for the sake of doing it ya know. Then there's the better fit and look and no more towel falling out or needing to be pushed back into place every time I take the Guitar in or out. Razor knife, sharpie and tape measure plus a couple of hours.

Kristina

6. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

Thanks. That looks like it would work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.