1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Case extra"...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thoughtfree, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Not the most important gripe in the world, but when I buy a guitar, I wanna buy a case at the same time, 9 times out of 10. So GC, MF, Sweetwater, lemme tell ya, I'll feel more like buying if you quote me a "with case" price from the get-go, so I don't have to go hunting for a case, then add $99 to my initial purchase. Thanks.

2. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

2 of my last 3 guitar purchases came with a HSC. My next one also does.
    Doesn’t the info page on the guitar state case, gig bag, or nothing included?

3. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

One way or another you pay for it .

CCK1 likes this.
  4. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

Yes, but it varies by manufacturer and price point.

Frodebro likes this.
  5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

My point is if it says on the info page case or a gig bag included then you have your answer. You either look for a case to suit your needs
    My Strat came with a gig bag. I knew this and bought a SKB case from the local shop
    When I sell the Strat the buyer has the option to take either or both. I’ll cut the price if he wants the gig bag and I’ll have an extra case.
    To me it’s not a big deal. YMMV

Torren61 and xtelesquirex like this.
  6. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I get your gripe. I bet that the stores would sell a lot more cases and gig bags if they listed the case option: gig bag, soft case, and hard case. Make it part of the initial purchase and a lot of people would go for it right out of the gate. On a side note, I have seen guitar shops charge extra for the case that came with the guitar from the manufacturer. Only saw it a time or two, but it's a jerk move.

Torren61, 1revcapps and xtelesquirex like this.
  7. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

What really irks me is when models that used to come with a HSC are suddenly changed to a gig bag, or from a gig bag to nothing at all. In many cases the asking price doesn't change so it's effectively a price increase.

Torren61 likes this.
  8. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My cases sit in the closet. I don't want another case when i buy a guitar. I only use a case with my hollowbody or if the possibility of damage seems high. Otherwise it's a gigbag. But then, my guitars are not expensive.

tery likes this.
  9. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I want a hsc with every guitar I buy whether it sits in the closet or not. If it doesn’t come with a case, it doesn’t come with a buyer, in my case (pun intentional).

Boreas likes this.
  10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to manage a music store, and have varying opinions on the case debate. Below a certain price point, most guitars are shipped from the manufacturer/distributor in either a flimsy bag, or simply in a cardboard box. Many people don't want to buy a case or bag, thinking that it should be included, which led to many interesting, umm, "discussions."

11. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Whenever I buy a used guitar at Guitar Center, I ask them to throw in a case. Most of the time they do.

Classic 50s Strat -> SKB hard shell
    MIM Deluxe Ash FSR Tele-> Road Runner gig bag
    72 MIM RI Tele-> Fender Black Tolex HS (with all the case candy from a Strat!)

12. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Teles don't need no case.

13. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Remember in the '70s and 80's there were Pickup Trucks with no rear bumper? They used to say......"well, some customers don't want bumpers".......such bull$hit

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.