Carved Top Chambered 'Venture Sonic' Body

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Deed_Poll, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Hello all!

I thought I would just share some pictures from a build I've been doing for another enthusiast luthier.

He saw my Venture Sonic design and loved it, but wanted to do some different things with the neck heel and pocket. So he asked me to make him a chambered core with arm contour (inside and out) and a carved ash top to fit - only to leave some more material around the neck pocket so he could carve his own transition.

The core is made from 30mm thick roasted Korina, with 21mm deep cavities. The top is 16mm thick ash, but the carve profiles this to around 3mm thick around the edges.

He was insistent I send the pieces to him straight off the machine, so they are replete with tooling marks! But the cut went well. I will be very interested to see what he does with it!

[​IMG]

The first cut - shaping the belly contour out of the back of the core

[​IMG]

The piece is turned over, and the corresponding contour is cut in the interior cavity to give consistent 9mm thickness

[​IMG]

With the treble side cavity also cut (as a flat pocket, using an end mill - no contour to worry about) and released.

[​IMG]

This will be the visible face on the back - I'm quite pleased with the glue line and end grain join. This piece of the roasted Korina is quite beautiful! And I managed to position the guitar to avoid any pin-holes (commonly found in Korina)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The top carved and released, and fitting in position. The edge is a perfect match, and the edge is consistent all the way around (apart from the section I left for hand carving).

[​IMG]

And this was the original design / concept, from some time ago, to show the general scheme.

Thanks for reading!

Dan

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    61fury, Ricky D., Slowtwitch and 16 others like this.
  2. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

Mesmerizing! Honest. I can't stop looking at the flow of the carving. It's almost hypnotic. Really gorgeous stuff.

crazydave911 and Deed_Poll like this.
  3. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Cheers, Steve! Yes, it's by far my favourite part of what I do to see nature reveal her beautiful patterns and matrices, especially under complex curves. This piece of ash has been a bit of a diva re: stability, but it has been worth it in the end!

4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Meister

Quite the talent you have going there, I'm sure he will like it.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow that’s cool!

Deed_Poll and crazydave911 like this.
  6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You did a really nice job with those toolpaths...contouring the inside to match a belly cut is an "advanced" skill. :)

7. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Cheers, Jim! It's actually pretty straightforward once you get the feel for it.

I tend to use the exact same surface, only I sample the .STL upside-down and use a different mask for the rough and fine 3D cut (for the whole area between the carve start and body perimeter on the back contour, and then sliced back slightly using an offset of the body perimeter to match wall thickness plus the radius of the tool for the inside).

This sets things up in such a way that you can't really get it wrong! It's a technique I've honed making thinlines with both sets of contours, in which it's a lot more important to match the thickness consistently (since it's seen through the f-hole). But I realised it's actually easier to get this exact match and to draw the 3D height maps from the same file regardless, and stops any human second-guessing.

Jim_in_PA and crazydave911 like this.
  8. photondev

photondev Tele-Holic

Looks great!

9. telemnemonics

Did you post a thread about a CNC routing a chambered Jazzmaster body?
    Really interesting stuff where you can match inside and outside contours in the computer and the machine nails it, inspires me to want to get a CNC and do it myself. Computers are not my strong suit though.

Deed_Poll likes this.
  10. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Thanks! Yes, that's me. I would encourage you to have a go and get involved - it's a steady learning curve, but you soon become more comfortable with the process and its capabilities.

crazydave911 and telemnemonics like this.
  11. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

Very nice work. I always enjoy seeing your build threads - Teles are great but it's good to see your original designs. You're obviously a man of taste - nice XM in the background.

12. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

I see you are a man of culture!

That XM is sad, unfortunately. It had a problem with the clutch linkage and I couldn't fix it for a time, so it sat and has developed some nasty corrosion. She was a show winner in her day!

I have another which is my daily driver, a late-model ES-9 V6 from 2000 but all cosmetically retrofitted to look like a Series I car, down to the dashboard and multi-function single-spoke steering wheel!

Thanks for the kind words!

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

Your "project car" taking up space in your workshop actually relates to my interest in trying CNC.
    I sold my project car last summer, which made a big chunk of space available.
    I consider a car to be a project when it no longer works but takes up indoor space!
    Among the ideas for the space I gained was a small CNC setup.
    My garage shop is divided by a tarp for dusty and dust free sides, and while I have dust collection for my table saw, I just don'tlike dust in mechanic/ oily areas.
    Made up a new workbench on big casters so it could be for a motorcycle project or used for woodworking, but still haven't committed to any real additions after losing that money pit project...

14. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

I've always had a soft spot for the XM. My Dad worked for a Citroen dealership at the time they launched in the UK and he had one for a while. I seem to remember he often had to bring customers cars home as they were plagued with intermittent electrical faults (not that they sold many). Nice car, even now the design looks good (for its age).

I still have some fancy launch edition brochures and even a hardback book here somewhere.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Before spending on the CNC you need to get your CAD program and learn to use that. Once you have models you can make easily then order your CNC. Otherwise the machine sits while you figure out how to model. From there the machining process flow is easier. Most challenging is getting the speeds and feeds down plus accurately flipping parts so the front and back features line up correctly.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

Awesome looking guitar, and wood grain!!!

Deed_Poll likes this.
  17. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Nice lookin' work and a great design! Good luck, sir.

Deed_Poll likes this.
  18. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Nice!

Deed_Poll likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.