1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cars you'll never own.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flaneur, Nov 24, 2020.

1. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I did own a '76 VW Scirocco for a short while in the early 80's up in Ontario CA. I think the tranny went out and it was parked on the family farm for many years to rot. It was pretty sporty and quick. The front wheel drive was great on the snow and ice. The color combo had something to be desired however. Mine was identical to this one...

[​IMG]

buster poser, superjam144 and 61fury like this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

How about a 1947 HRG - talk about Unobtainium.

tanplastic, Alex W and buster poser like this.
  3. boris bubbanov

[​IMG] Type 55, anyone?

dogmeat and buster poser like this.
  4. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Regarding the new Lexus - I’ve only seen pictures and never in person until today. I really didn’t notice the model but it was brand new, black, and backed into a parking place. If it wasn’t for this thread I probably wouldn’t have given it a second thought. That shiny grill against that black finish and I stopped in my tracks. I wouldn’t not buy one or would buy one because of the grill.
    It’s that, IMO, Manta Ray look that seems be on many new cars just a bit more pronounced

5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

How about the Bugatti Royale? To me it’s one of the sexiest cars ever built

boris bubbanov and buster poser like this.
  6. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

7. boop

boop Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

lowatter likes this.
  8. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I’ll never own a car that lasts. But I have plenty of cannibalized parts from the junkyard to keep it going just a little longer than they planned.

9. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Any vehicle costing $55,000+ (sticker price).

superjam144 and Fearnot like this.
  10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Morris_Oxford_Traveller_1953_4659310521).jpg marris mo 001_7870.jpg 1953 Morris Oxford MO series...like a bigger Morris Minor...had one as my second car...1496 cc side valve engine...column change gearbox
    chances of getting another???...almost nil
    mine was identical to the black one

11. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

20200829_091337.jpg 1964-shelby-cobra-289-1.jpg 67-Ferrari_275_GTB4-10723-DV-08_CC_01.jpg
    And yes, it's the most beautiful car ever. Very close second the Intermeccanica Italia:
    1972-intermeccanica-italia-spyder-lot-219_6a0c8.jpg

lowatter likes this.
  12. Taurus

Taurus TDPRI Member

A Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, koenigsegg or the fastest car in the world, the SSC Tuatara. Looking forwards to see how fast Koenigsegg’s Jesko will be when that comes out

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  13. boris bubbanov

[​IMG]
    This is the so called "Graham-Paige" Frazer.

It may look like a typical '47 Frazer, but this is not rear wheel drive. There's a drive train out of a pre war Graham Paige hidden under there. Graham Paige and Hupmobile each had access to the tooling from the last of the Cords, the FWD coffin nosed ones. And they had a decent number of spares. That's right - this is front wheel drive.

14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

A rust free Chevy Vega, that doesn't burn oil
    One never actually existed.

15. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

CC176-UND-01.jpg High school girlfriend's dad had two Le Cars, really weren't that bad as far as cheap little cars went back then. (Um Chevy Vega?) And with the seats folded flat there was plenty of room to lay down. Not sure he believed the explanation for the cracked windshield though. Probably should've wiped my footprints off. . . . . . .

16. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

lowatter and BobbyZ like this.
  17. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

0ADABD4E-5DF4-4BB9-8521-44EABCB5D2D3.jpeg 0ADABD4E-5DF4-4BB9-8521-44EABCB5D2D3.jpeg B9E078E5-7657-4A8F-8564-FB63CA552FB9.jpeg
    I visited the Shelby museum in Las Vegas off Russell Road 7 years ago and became enraptured by the Shelby Series 1, his last (unsuccessful) attempt at mass produced vehicles. Timeless lines. There’s one on Autotrader asking $120K.

18. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

1966 Griffith 400. Jack Griffeth's Cobra killer design. 59 were made...

[​IMG]

"The standard engine in the 400 was the more powerful Ford 289 'Hi Po Cobra V8' Windsor Engine producing reputedly 308 BHP that was available in the Series 200 as an option. The 400 weighed a few more pounds than the 200 due mostly to the new Salisbury independent differential with a higher gear ratio giving it a higher top speed.
    Grantura Ltd of England designed the independent suspension for the TVR automobiles which later became the Griffith 200 and 400. The Griffith 400 had then state-of-the-art unequal Wishbone Suspension all four corners and the car weighed significantly less than its contemporary, the AC Cobra, making it a very potent racing car."

there were two here in Anchorage AK in the late '60s. I don't know why but I drooled over them a time or two.

as for the Cobra... I lived in SF in 1970 and a guy down the street had a 289 Cobra for sale.... like new... $5000 though rumor was it could be had for less

19. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

other favorites. Auburn Boat Tail Speedster. V12, 2 speed rear end

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit... dang, it won't let me post the best couple, but you get the idea... pretty nice

ravindave_3600 and BobbyZ like this.
  20. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Nothing wrong with a Malibu or Laguna(I think) blue '69 Stingray. JMHOYMMV...
    I helped a friend do a tune-up on his in '79 and thought it was really cool that it had Levi blue denim upholstered seats with the Levi tags and that the coil had a chrome insulating cover and individual insulating spark plug wire block grounding to reduce radio static interference etc. I'm not big on convertibles but these have a removable hardtop that I thought was cool.

[​IMG]

Yeah, I'm a Chevy guy. I modestly restored a '84 squarebody short bed truck that I loved but my wife hated so I regrettably sold it. I did the body work and painted it myself as well as rebuilt the factory 305 short block. I spent a year working on it. It was a nice truck and I miss it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.