1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cars You Have Rented...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I saw a gap and I'm filling it.

Over the years, I've rented cars while on trips or when my car was in the shop. I actually love renting cars because it gives me a chance to drive something I may want to buy or something I KNOW I'll never buy.

A lot of them were fairly mundane. 2017 Mercedes GLA 250, 2019 Ford Flex AWD Ecoboost Limited (I own a Flex now, my second, and I was expecting this car to be significantly better but my car is 95% as powerful and 95% as plush with the Appearance Package), Dodge Commander (drove this one on a tour of the Deep South USA with my Aussie wife and her aunt, about 3k miles), BMW X3 (rented this one in France and drove in Paris. I'll never make THAT mistake again), 2016 Cadillac XT5. The rest in the "mundane" category are too ordinary to mention.

THEN there's the "not mundane" category. It turns out that you can rent high performance cars from Hertz.

2010 Camaro Z-28 (I'm in the union and I had to sign a work list to be eligible to go to work in NorCal but I was in 29 Palms, CA. So I booked a flight there and back but made a mistake on times between flights and it left me with very little time to land in San Francisco and drive to Vacaville and get back to SFO to fly back. So I rented the Z-28 and drove at a high rate of speed to the union hall and signed the list and immediately jumped back in the car and drove at a high rate of speed back to the airport and made it with 30 minutes to spare. Apologies for risking the lives of anyone within my proximity that day. It would have been jail instead of just a citation.)

2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Go Mango Orange (Okay, this car was fun but even MORE fun when I drove it from San Gregorio to Redwood City, CA on Hwy 84. This road goes up a mountain range and then drops back down. I hardly used my brakes going up and is in really good condition and hardly ANY cars on it the day I drove it. I would accelerate and when I came to a curve, I simply left off the gas and let gravity do the work. The downhill run was much slower.)

2017 Audi A8 (I drove this one in Munich and on the autobahn. I wanted to drive the autobahn at high speed to say I did it. I tried to rent an exotic sports car but the only place i could find that rented them wanted a $20,000 deposit. I regret not doing that. It was only a deposit and I would have gotten back my money. But I rented an Audi A8 instead and drove the autobahn with a top speed of 153 mph. That reminds me, I need to load the video of that on my YouTube channel. I'll get to it today and post a link of driving from Munich to Seahaupt.)

2014 Dodge Charger RT, 2016 Camaro Z-28 (I rented a Holden in Australia and everything went well until I entered a roundabout within a mile from the airport on the way back. Instead of going left, I instinctively went right and the oncoming cars were not amused. Apologies to AU. I won't drive there again.)

That's all that I can remember off the top of my head. Has there been anything that you've rented that's worth mentioning?

2. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

Car was in the shop for a week. Went to local rental place and they gave me a brand new SAAB. 7 miles on it. Fabulous car. The best part...they never charged me. Even though they said they did.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

lawdy - they've all been Japanese jellybeans - utterly indistinguishable

waiting for better stories than mine - and pics

Peace - Deeve

Torren61 likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I used to rent weekly for a couple years. I'd order the smallest cheapest car and usually they upgraded for free as they didnt have any. Once though, I got stuck with a Chevy Aveo. WHAT A POS! Hard to believe that tiny car had no power steering! it was harder to park than a big truck! Road noise? jaysus, couldn't hear the radio!

Torren61 likes this.
  5. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

I once rented a Buick LeSabre with the 3.8. It was roomy, powerful and quiet.

Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.