Cars: It’s All I Can Do lead sound?

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
That's what I thought. Muff.
But, I have played through an old Gibson amp that sounded like that. Years ago. Don't even remember what model.

I’ve no doubt there are amps that can cop that sound. But, his lead sound compared to his rhythm sound suggests either a fuzz pedal, or an entirely different amp.

I can get pretty close to the lead sound with a Stomp Under Foot Violet Menace (Violet Ram’s Head Big Muff clone) and an EQ pedal with a bit of delay and reverb.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I don't hear fuzz at all. Cranked amp. Maybe a tube screamer or Micro Amp - low gain but driving preamp. But mainly just a cranked amp (or amps).

In terms of how to get there? Tube Screamer type if you are playing loud in a mix. Maybe an OD3 if not. Nothing exotic or esoteric there.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
That's interesting, but I find it hard to believe that the lead in "It's All I can Do" was just a cranked amp.
What Mesa amps were available in '78/'79? I bet a cranked one might just be possible of that sound, especially with a Les Paul. IMO, Mesas have always been capable of a fuzzier sound than Marshalls or other amps.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
That tone reminds me of the leads on Steely Dan's Reelin' in the Years or other SD/Skunk Baxter years guitar leads. It's smoother/more modern but it has that same gnarly ratty yet somehow still smooth quality. I've heard it on other Cars songs too. Very cool.

Mark617

Tele-Holic
What Mesa amps were available in '78/'79? I bet a cranked one might just be possible of that sound, especially with a Les Paul. IMO, Mesas have always been capable of a fuzzier sound than Marshalls or other amps.
In his earlier days in the clubs he was a huge Les Paul guy. You can find plenty of pics of them in the Rat. They were the house band there. Often he had a black LP in his hands and Marshall cabs