1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cars - Automatic or Manual Transmissions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Feb 29, 2020.

Can You Drive A Car With A Manual Transmission

1. Yes - Give me a manual, or give me death!

49 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Yes - I prefer a manual but would buy an automatic

82 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Yes - I prefer an automatic, but I can drive a manual

70 vote(s)
    34.3%
  4. No - I only drive automatics

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Dang you’re good. 2007. When it’s daylight tomorrow I’ll shoot same pics of our other car and see if you can get that one.

2. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Ha! My first car had the best of both worlds! It was a 1947 Chrysler Windsor sedan with a fluid drive transmission. I kid you not, but I paid 35.00 USD in 1971.
    It looked like this:
    A2934B78-D46F-450C-98D0-B2881215DD6F.jpeg

For those of you that don’t know about fluid drive, it had a two on the tree and a clutch. On the flat, you start out by hitting the gas, then a you listen for the RPMs to build, let off the gas, and it would shift like an automatic. Then, when the RPMs built again, you used the clutch and shifted into 3rd using the tree shifter. When you came to a stop, you could keep it in third, unless you were on an incline. Very much fun to drive, but it wasn’t a speed demon. Doesn’t it make you wonder where all your old cars are now. Did they fall victim to the crusher, or are they sitting in a garage somewhere all restored?

RoyBGood, Stubee, imwjl and 2 others like this.
  3. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I’ve finally gone over to the dark side. I don’t own an manual.

I own a BMW with paddle shifters.

I miss manuals from time to time, and if I’m ever buying a weekend toy, it’ll probably have a manual.

But my car is also a commuter, and road trips to my family invariably include time in DC Beltway traffic.

I just couldn’t comfortably do it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imwjl likes this.
  4. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Manual all the way. Automatic cars always send me asleep, not great when driving on the motorways.

6. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Either way, I'll still be passing you up:);)

thCX25NNLN.jpg

7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I would like to see a proof of purchase!:D

Shuster likes this.
  8. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

you can keep your manual clutched transmissions if you live on the side of a mountain cliff. My left leg after years of driving an S-10 with a 4 speed is now bigger and 3 inches longer than my right leg.. I have a fancy paddle shifter now and can fly both ways with no clutching.. its the new age of manual shift auto transmissions:)

9. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

You and me both:)

Stringbanger likes this.
  10. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

I got my drivers license in 1963 and drove a stick until about seven years ago. It’s automatics for me from now on.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think the secret to keeping a car with an automatic in the "fun" category can be found in better seats, great steering feel, confidence inspiring brakes, a good chassis and a nice set of wheels and tires. IMO once you get these things right, then a quality automatic is not so bad.

Currently we have 3 manuals, and 4 automatics. No CVTs for sure - those are disgusting. CVTs get get fuel economy because the owners of 'em just stay home.

I should be biased towards automatics, since those Torqueflites I had were so excellent and also I helped run an automatic transmission parts supply house in the 1970s. But I have a way with clutches - I don't seem to screw them up. I think there's a strong correlation between drivers who damage manuals, and those who prefer automatics.

We have this strange, strange arrangement - an '03 Miata SE with a rude, primitive old automatic. Which I assumed would serve as a sort of golf cart but this automatic can be driven fast. It is so pathetic, it really forces you to work extremely hard to be quick on something like the Tail of the Dragon (or the many similar roads up there you will have to find for yourself). The price you will pay if you enter this turn or that one too fast (or usually too slow) is so dire - you can get bogged down so easily - you've got to really hustle and stay focused. You can't really go for that brake pedal, unless you're aborting and trying not to go over an embankment or something. You can't "steer" with the throttle as you have the throttle fully to the floor, the whole time. You use up spare momentum by turning that steering wheel.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    dkmw, unixfish and Stubee like this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You probably need to try or rent some newer cars. I have some favorite manual transmissions but there are super/exotic automatics and more importantly or to your point, the Asisin (incl 8 speed) automatics in many great modern cars. Yeah, a Buick and BMW, Volvo and VW with Japanese plus Chinese makes in between in lots of great cars that are performers and practical.

I think you miss that even some past CVTs let alone current CVTs do a fine job of giving you fixed ratios. I read some new models are also programed to behave more like a fixed ratio.

None of this takes away my liking manual transmissions but this is 2020. We can only have your beloved Saabs, S-2000s, or favorite 1950s technology in car purchases most people just don't do. I'm pretty sure Torqueflites were 1950s and the name dropped in the 1990s. Heck, even a Camry can be a performance car now. It would not be my choice of a car but driving my mother's Acura 272 HP 4cyl w/ 8 speed automatic made me think about history and chuckle. We're in an era of grocery getters that beat what used to be performance vehicles.

Full disclosure. In addition to BEVs, I was looking at a few smaller sporty cars and Subaru bringing back a turbo in more cars but we're no turning back on a basement remodel and no fast turning back on what the world economy did to my retirement in recent days. I'm back to wanting 10 years out of my current car.

:)

dkmw likes this.
  13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I miss shifting, but there are 10 people in my house and 3 or 4 of us drive...and others borrow it. Clutches are spendy to replace....

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Ain’t that the truth. And the corollary is that the performance cars are unbelievable. IMO we are truly in a golden age for autos.

imwjl likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

I have tried some - I guess I should try more. But it seems to me, you don't get much for the dollar spent. Personally I think the developers are trying to create Internal Combustion models that have some of the same driving feel as the Teslas and other electrics. Instead of going their own way and having an experience all their own.

I got spoiled. I bought cars when the newest ones were so much safer, handled so much better and often got better mileage and most of all, were suddenly fairly reliable. Even at MSRP they were so worth the money. They were so much better than the cars from 10 years before, and even more so better than those from 20 years before. Now, we've hit IMO a sort of flat spot. And so, if I won the Lottery would I still drive older stuff and do my own suspension and brake work? Maybe not, but I can't count on some old Lottery.

imwjl likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

Evidently you're getting in a lot of track time.

I'm still doing it the old fashioned way. Wait until the kids are safely in their classrooms, and drive hard where the people and police officers are just not to be found. I have more fun with "less" car, don't pull quite so many Gs and a lot of the responsibility for the experience is entirely on my shoulders. In some ways, some of the latest offerings are way too fantastic. Here's singing the praises of cars with obvious performance limitations and the increased effort required to drive them well.

dkmw and unixfish like this.
  17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I learned to drive on a tractor with a hand clutch when I was 5, and graduated to the farm dump truck with a manual transmission by the time I was 7. It was a very forgiving clutch and a gear box as wide as Oklahoma, so it was easy to learn. We always had at least one manual transmission growing up, and in the 23 years I have been classified as an adult, I have owned a manual for all but a year of that time. I just sold my latest manual tranny in December, after buying a F150 so we'd be able to travel throughout the northwest in winter time. This is the first time in 12 years I haven't had a manual.

18. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

I started learning in manual, but had to stop taking lessons as I had an accident and had resumed a few years later when recovered only to stop again due to hernia op. When I started lessons again I went straight to auto just because to me it would be quicker to pass. (In my late 30s by then) . As I would rather drive Auto than nothing . That was 13 years ago.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Something funny about that is I forget my wife's Sienna SE has 292 HP in addition to the suspension and steering tweaks. My kids just learning to drive don't know a whole lot more but generally drive an old Camry or my station wagon. Thus, they think their mom's van is a performance car.

On "golden age" I say no kidding.

I'm not sure we've hit a flat spot. I've rented and been in Korean makes that are just wow from what they were a short while ago. Honda has what I think is a 1.5 L turbo in not exotic cars. All cars now have features that used to be exclusive. The CarUVs are popular because they're practical but the makers have versions that perform more than you'd think. I kind of shook my head dismissively reading Consumer Reports latest Legacy/Outback reviews for handling. Nope, not at all after checking them out against their premium Japanese and German competitions. Doing the math for pricing and thinking of associate's 5 series and above BMWs a base Model 3 is pretty impressive.

If the auto industry has a problem with sale a lot of their stuff to average people it might be how good a rather standard car is. Seriously, go drive a late model Accord, Camry or Legacy/Outback class vehicle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.