1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cars - Automatic or Manual Transmissions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Feb 29, 2020.

Can You Drive A Car With A Manual Transmission

1. Yes - Give me a manual, or give me death!

49 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Yes - I prefer a manual but would buy an automatic

82 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Yes - I prefer an automatic, but I can drive a manual

70 vote(s)
    34.3%
  4. No - I only drive automatics

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

How I really learned to shift even though I already knew how to shift.

With a farm and two scrap yards plus house with a big yard I think garden tractors were what I first learned. Our Model A Ford meant always knowing a double clutch and matching RPM. As a teen I started driving our old Mack B-61s around to dock trailers or dump trailers. At 18 I got a chauffeurs' license and was shuttling trailers around town and short distances with a 1959 Mack same birth year as me.

This is also why I have hearing loss. This seems pretty quiet for an old Mack.

My favorites were always Roadranger 13 speeds. That split from the overdrive made a difference if you were underpowered or if it was serious climbing. For twin sticks the 4x5 or 3x5 were actually easier than 3 by x because you don't have as many splits. I'm guessing @Toto'sDad knows that one. I don't know about modern engines but I liked Cummins Formula 400s and Cat 3406. Detroit V8s that sounded good to me got old really fast when they're wrecking your ears and brain.

Stubee and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Every car and truck I owned up to 2000 was manual, and I still enjoy driving manual BUT for a work truck, driving in traffic, auto is the only way to go IMHO. Almost 2 years ago when my old 2000 Ford was giving up the ghost, I bought a Ram, also with auto, but it has a dial shifter on the dash. Initially wasn't a fan (but bought the truck because I preferred it overall over other brands for many reasons, including it's 8 speed transmission), and up to a week ago was still struggling with it. On quick 3 point turns the little knob was slippery and fiddly to work with. Also I and many others I've read on Ram forums would reach for the fan or radio volume, and have to look down to find the shifter, which is the same shape as the other knobs, just a bit bigger. One guy said he thought he was to turning down the fan, and shifted into park at 70 MPH! Thank God it has software to prevent the trans from actually doing that.

Anyway, I solved this problem last week when I found a company called AJT Design (no affiliation) that makes a solid aluminum CNC shift knob for the Ram. Been driving with it for a few days now a LOVE it. Always see it in my peripheral vision, and it's design gives you a solid grip for quick changes.

Ram Stock Knobs Dash.jpg Ram New Knob Front.jpg Ram New and Old Knobs.jpg

Stubee and lammie200 like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was driving a big rig, the only time we used the clutch was to come to a complete stop, or to put the truck into gear and take off. If you could drive at all, you simply shifted by the rpms without clutching and you soon learned the sound of that, it became sort of automatic. I still hated shifting though. I've been told by drivers of today though, that some trucks have electronic device on them that force you to use the clutch, I don't know that for sure, it's just what I've been told.

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

All the cars I have owned have been manuals. My wife's cars have been automatics, but she is decent with a manual.

Both of my kids took their drivers test in a manual. My daughter prefers it, my son prefers an automatic. I just wanted to be sure they *could*.

I know a true manual is not as fast as a DSG; I just think they are more fun. I heel and toe almost every downshift. I just enjoy it. I get great mileage in my manual car - well above EPA specs. Would a DSG / auto be better? Maybe a little bit, but 1 to 3 mpg would make little difference, since I am above 40 already.

My wife's car has the "manual mode" for her automatic - it's OK. I tend not to use it much, as it makes my left foot "itch".

As for automatics, the worst I ever drove was our old 2003 Lexus ES300. That bloody thing was constantly trying to out-think me, and always changing gears at the wrong time. My driving style and that car never got along.

I don't get much stop-and-go traffic when I go to work; Cleveland traffic is not that bad. When we do, it does not bother me with a manual. I have not done stop and go every day though - I can see where that would could be a turn-off for manuals.

Stubee likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember the thrill of driving big rigs when I first started, and to tell the truth when I look back the adventures I had driving truck are what I dwell on. The RR 13 was pretty cool. The last heavy hauler rig I drove with two dollies and a long trailer had a thirteen with air shifted rear ends, that was supper cool. You couldn't shift the rear ends down, but you could shift them up. Reverse in the low set made it very easy to get under a loaded trailer with a gooseneck. I loved that setup. I spent eight and a half years driving a Silver 92 and I totally get it about hearing loss. I loved the sound of that thing going through the gears, but man, I wish I'd know what I was doing to my ears. The very last truck I drove for a living was a KW anteater, as quiet as a car with the sleeper on it, and a 3406 with a thirteen speed. You could listen to the radio at levels you would in a car! I wish I'd been driving something like that all of the time I was driving I would have to say (what?) so much.

imwjl likes this.
  6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was taught on manual and drove 3 and 4 speed cars for many years.

These days I'm more into automatics and less foot pedals.

7. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Here’s another vid of PDK in action. I posted it last week, but not mentioning the PDK specifically.
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/australian-guitarist-goes-for-quiet-ride-in-the-german-forest.1008120/

8. 392Hemi

392Hemi Tele-Meister

I have a 2020 C8 Corvette ordered. I should see it in June. Only Auto available. Dual Clutch Tranny should be fine especially with the true neutral. Still not quite the driving experience. I am however excited about it. I voted #2.

Stubee and dkmw like this.
  9. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I have a 392 Hemi. Do you still have yours?

10. Skully

11. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Holic

I've been driving manual cars (and motorcycles) since I was old enough to get a licence and never enjoyed the odd occasion I had to drive an auto. However, last year for a road trip around the southern states, I rented a Mustang with a 10 speed auto box. On the freeways it was OK, nothing memorable either way, but when I got into the Smokey Mountains I put it into sport mode and used the flappy paddles and boy did we have some fun on those mountain twisties.

12. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Got back from my drive. Used these things.

1B80560D-6E87-4349-9036-D618B1DE9822.jpeg 24129C80-8B55-498F-AB8E-D15611313491.jpeg

Stubee, boris bubbanov and BobbyZ like this.
  13. 392Hemi

392Hemi Tele-Meister

I do and I enjoy it immensely. 52000 miles on it looks and runs great. Unfortunately when the Vette comes in the Scat Pack has to go. I will be happy and sad all at once.

14. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Many years ago my job involved driving numerous cars during the day, autos and manuals. There were times when I would stab the brake pedal on an automatic thinking it was the clutch. Conversely, one of the tests I used to do involved holding the car at WOT and using the brake to hold it at a certain rpm. There were a few times I pushed on a clutch pedal instead and confused myself when the revs climbed instead of dropped... In all that time I don't recall stalling a manual coming to a stop because I forgot to hit the clutch, but I do recall numerous times of searching for the non-existent clutch pedal when coming to a stop in an automatic.

Anyway, during my multi-car per workday years I drove a lot of Jeeps. Most of them were manuals. I also had a 5-speed Cherokee at the time as my own car. Flash forward 20 years or so. I bought a Wrangler, this time an automatic. I had been driving autos for years at this point, yet, for the first few weeks I found myself trying to shift the Wrangler manually - I guess it had been ingrained in my head that Jeeps were manuals. Though my wife had owned Grand Cherokees for years by then and they were all autos, and I never had that reaction in those, so I dunno. For whatever reason, my muscle memory just thought Wrangler meant manual I guess. I still sometimes feel like I need to push the clutch pedal when coming to a stop in it... might have to buy a manual if/when I replace the Wrangler with another one!

15. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

For a modern day to day driver (car) it would be an automatic, for my day to day Jeep it’s a manual, for my serious off road Jeep it’ll be an auto.
    If I’m driving around in a cager I don’t need a stick. For serious off road there are three pedals and only two feet. It can get tricky in situations where brakes and throttle ARE needed at the same time. That being said I love a manual

Stubee likes this.
  16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I got my first auto truck in 2000 it took a good year to stop reaching for a stick and clutch pedal when coming to a stop. When I got the Ram with dial shifter on the dash, for weeks I was reaching for a column shifter. I'm sure if I got in a truck with a column shifter now, I'd be reaching for the radio volume to put it in gear, or park.

17. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

If I still lived in The White Mountains I’d have manual for the shear joy of driving in the warm months with the top down.

Now living in The City only an automatic, with two titanium hips sitting in traffic with no end in sight has made me appreciate the fuel injected six cylinder Infiniti loaded with creature comforts like the Bose
    Sound System and a moonroof...and not having to balance a clutch. Amen!!!

The automatic transmission was conceived by people who commuted in the urban jungle on a daily basis.
    God Bless Them.

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Too much traffic is why I go Automatic.
    Hitting the clutch 50 times every two blocks gets old.
    Plus, when I'm headed to a gig, easier and safer for eating and drinking.
    Keep in mind my main rig is a Work Van.

For a performance vehicle, Manual Tranny all the way!

Stubee likes this.
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

dkmw likes this.
  20. Skully

I have about 38K on my 2016 Scat Pack Shaker. I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.