Cars - Automatic or Manual Transmissions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Feb 29, 2020.

Can You Drive A Car With A Manual Transmission

1. Yes - Give me a manual, or give me death!

49 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Yes - I prefer a manual but would buy an automatic

82 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Yes - I prefer an automatic, but I can drive a manual

70 vote(s)
    34.3%
  4. No - I only drive automatics

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    First car - automatic
    Second - manual
    Third -automatic
    Forth - manual
    Current - automatic

Hmmm, I see a pattern. It clearly makes no difference to me.

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

That all went over your head I guess. I was saying men that can't drive manuals are sissies.:)

3. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Nor is it the same animal as a "traditional" manual by any stretch.

Agreed. Some work very well, some feel like spools and rubber bands with mood swings. Some are durable and some.....

Yeah, most who prefer manuals are likely to prefer being "in control" I think. And the dual clutch with a brain certainly isnt exactly that. But the potential of the technology as it is now emerging is very interesting to me. Both for the reasons you mention, and also, (for example) since the brain controls other subsystems, the shift can occur at any point in a turn, seamlessly with torque management with no fear of the traction unloading. So for example, instead of setting up going into a turn carefully to be in the correct gear upon exit- you can be in the ideal torque range at all times.
    Very significant lap time improvements could occur, even for very good drivers.
    And this is very significant for very high powered cars.

But this stuff aint cheap.....:cool:

Skully and dkmw like this.
  4. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I drive one 'slush pump', a 1955 Buick Roadmaster (with the 322 nailhead V8). Truly, I expected to be appalled driving it...but it works fine and is totally appropriate for the "yacht like" driving requirements. Hysterical when it kicks down: sounds something like a pissed off old Hoover vacuum cleaner and then she just picks up her skirts, lifts her nose and off she goes!

I drove a VW Type III fastback all thru high school. Hot-rodded, etc. As much as I tried (and as many engines I went thru), I never killed the original 4-speed box. I got many warnings that I'd grind the teeth off the 1st gear synchro...but I never did. I was either very lucky or it was bulletproof. Later, I had a '53 Chevy P/U with three-on-the-tree. I learned how to double-clutch on that one. The first time I made a smooth downshift into 1st, I smiled like a mule eating briars.

Stringbanger and Telecastoff1 like this.
  5. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Manual trans's were fun in the 70's, when I was a young pup, but now, not so much. Give me automatic or give me death!

6. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Very nice car. :cool:

I should have clarified. The new 2020 model Corvettes are all automatic transmission.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28531606/2020-chevy-corvette-manual-transmission/

7. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

As has been mentioned, automatics today are not what they once were. Even some boring cars have quite functional autos. If given a choice, I would pick a manual, but Mrs. German prefers the convenience of auto. Now that we don’t live in the prairies, even more so. When it came time to find an inexpensive car on short notice, I went shopping. I discovered that the transmission was a make-or-break thing for me. She would have been fine with whatever I picked, but some of them irritated me to a shocking degree. Anything with an old-school slushbox was out (there are still some out there). Anything with too many speeds, trying to be something it’s not, same deal. I ended up picking a 2017 Hyundai Elantra, much to my surprise. 6 speed auto, no overly clever adaptability, and a simple manual shift mode. The gears are well-chosen for the moderate power, and it has a “Sport” mode that keeps me from using the manual function almost entirely. Would I rather have something sporty with a stick? Yeah, sure, but I have my motorcycle to scratch that itch.

8. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Well..... It doesnt have a torque converter, so its not really a traditional automatic either. But it doesnt have a clutch pedal so its not really a traditional manual..... What is it?
    something new. Dual clutch, servo operated, computer controlled. And IMO, cool stuff.

the white Z06 has a clutch pedal. And a 7 speed. And is quite rare actually. I am frequently around a lot of late model corvettes, and I have yet to see another.
    I installed a "skip shift eliminator" which makes second gear available at all times, instead of he factory configured system that forces a 1-3 shift under typical driving conditions. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I would seriously advise against it. It makes the car almost impossible to drive without looking like an idiot. The torque curve due to the supercharger is rediculous, right off idle, and even the huge tires cant begin to contain it.
    Its a beast.

stnmtthw and dkmw like this.
  9. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

This thread has got me itching to take Elsa the Boxster for a romp. I’ll be back in an hour or so, hopefully with a sore neck amd warm tires. And a smile on my face:)

It also reminds me that I need to replace the stock linkage. It’s a cheap mod, and believe it or not the factory set up has weak points - cables/connections can break and leave you with no way to select a gear.

10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Every car I've owned as my personal car has had manual transmission and I prefer it on the open road. I come from a mountainous area with wonderful, superelevated, curvy roads that beg for a manual transmission and good shifting puts a smile on your face. I'm currently rowing a tightly-geared six-speed. However, I'll be honest: I live at the south end of the great urban sprawl. Most of my driving is in suburban traffic and both my state and local governments LOVE stoplights. For them, regulated traffic is better than smooth traffic or happy traffic. We've got places where there is a stoplight every three hundred yards. It's start and stop, start and stop. That kind of creeping traffic and heavy-handed management forces you over to auto trans for comfort.

Bob

11. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

IMHOP, the only youngsters in the USA that can drive manual transmissions are the ones that grew up on a farm. In rural area a tractor is the 1st thing you learn to drive. As long as it starts and has fuel, I'm good to go.

12. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Three on the tree - sold back in 1986. Last standard transmission I owned.

[​IMG]

13. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I remember when we used to say that about guys that couldn't ride a motorcycle with a foot clutch.

And don't get me started on the pansies that had to have that new fangled push button start!:)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    boris bubbanov, BobbyZ and Blrfl like this.
  14. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about. Almost all high-end sports cars have dropped manual transmissions in favor of the double clutch, especially on the track. Porsche's vaunted PDK transmission IS MUCH faster than a manual. The shift times are almost instaneous.

That said, my ancient '07 Carerra S, like my previous BMWs, is a manual. Unlike most folks, I don't mind shifting my own gears even in DC's horrible traffic. And when I can get to the country, it's a pure delight to drive for all the reasons dkmw stated.

One last comment, when I was in Italy last spring I was amazed how many cars are still manual transmission vehicles - good for them!

15. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

We bought several stick shift family cars and my trucks were all the same until 1990, and that’s five previous trucks I’m talking about. My first automatic truck was a ‘97 Toyota T-100 because a manual was basically unavailable and I found I preferred it for 4WD stuff in deep mud etc. I also found my previous low mileage & excellent condition Ford pickup was nearly impossible to sell with a stick shift at any reasonable price. I finally sold it to a wholesaler for $500 more than trade in value. Man...

On the car side I still prefer a manual in anything driven hard and love it in my Mustang. On the day to day family car the manual isn’t so cool, mainly because traffic has increased = more stop & go & slowdowns. So our latest car, a 2014, is an auto.

16. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I have both. Each has its own purpose for me.
    My Mustang...5 Speed Manual
    My Yukon...4 speed Automatic.
    Mustang for fun.
    Yukon is my daily driver.

17. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

I can't find the exact YT clip from this guy but here's a demo on Porsche's PDK gearbox.

It gives you a feel for PDK. The one video I recall he was driving on a track in Texas, I believe. In that video he said he was a convert for PDK on the track, but off it, he still preferred driving manuals.

But that might not matter in the future if no one is buying a manual.

dkmw likes this.
  18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I like driving stick, but an automatic leaves my right hand free to deal with other stuff.

19. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

And I agree with this completely. My other car is an Outback with that blasted CVT transmission. I wish Subaru would go back to a normal automatic but the CVT gives it better gas mileage. But it also comes with reliability issues, hence they extended my warranty on the box to 10 years.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Two things, driving my son's corvette with a crate engine with 463 HP on the dyno, and the kind of clutch it takes to couple that kind of power to the ground is just plain hard work. I'm sure there must be some kind of hydraulic assist on it, but when you're at a red light, you'd rather put it in neutral rather than hold that clutch down.

I'm sure it was this thread is what prompted me to dream that I had returned to work in an International Harvester tractor shop, and was driving a 1965 IH pickup to work that I had to shift endlessly with a huge extra long floor shifting stick, and managed to get lost on the way. I kept frantically driving in circles shifting about every ten feet of travel. No wonder I slept in, I was worn out from shifting.

Jlwctn likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.