Cars - Automatic or Manual Transmissions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Feb 29, 2020.

Can You Drive A Car With A Manual Transmission

1. Yes - Give me a manual, or give me death!

49 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Yes - I prefer a manual but would buy an automatic

82 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Yes - I prefer an automatic, but I can drive a manual

70 vote(s)
    34.3%
  4. No - I only drive automatics

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have no real preference other than I do like a manual for towing or in a sports car, for around town I like a automatic due to idiots who crawl up to stop lights or nearly stop to take a corner.

If I was forced at gunpoint to buy a ridiculously small underpowered 4cyl car I would buy the manual version.:)

unixfish and trev333 like this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I could get by with a 4 cyl car/Ute, especially now with fuel always going up......

a little auto buzzbox wouldn't be too bad around here for the miles I do. I had an older subi liberty awd wagon auto for a while, that was fun out on the dirt....... My Navara has towed as big a load as I'm likely to need.... I don't really need a v6/v8 for an engine...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

The boredom bit is real. If I had an automatic box to go with the adaptive cruise control I'd be fast asleep on long drives.

4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Cover model Nataliya Medvedeva died of a heart attack in 2003 at the age of 44.

5. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

The last manual car I had was back in 1972, It was a Triumph herald 12/50, I bought a mk1 Ford Capri auto in that year & never bought another manual car again. :)
    I spent 30+ years driving class 1 articulated/class 8 semi's with 8-10-12 speed manual gearboxes.

My missus only has a 'Automatic licence'! Over here in the UK if you pass your driving test in a automatic car that's all you can drive, If you pass your test in a manual car you are entitled to drive both o_O So that's the reason we have an automatic car.

6. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Our Nebraska neighbor's kid bought a very nice s/h Honda Civic SI with a manual transmission, without knowing how to drive a stick. His father had never driven a manual so when I volunteered to teach his son his relief was transparent. I had the kid up and running in an afternoon and AFAIK he's still zooming around Omaha in it.

Evidently chicks dig it...

Stubee and Antmax like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Years ago I drove a few really small 4cyl cars that felt like they might start going backwards when faced with a steepish hill. An auto in something like that is just ridiculous. The car just kept cycling up and down through gear changes and sounded like it was going to blow up.
    Some 4cyl are a lot worse than others, the ones with motors smaller than the average motorbike are best equipped with a manual transmission imo.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    trev333 likes this.
  8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

a 120Y was it?..;)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

No, the 120y coupe's used to go pretty good with a manual, I don't think they put auto's in cars like that back then. Maybe in the odd small mazda.

This was in a early 2000's car, cant remember what it was, the gemini 4cyl wagons with auto's were pretty awful and underpowered.

10. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Up to now, I owned 6 cars since 1986, when I got my driver's license.
    5 of them and also my current one were/are stickshift/manual transmission, one was an old Mercedes. It was huge, heavy like a tank and fun to drive, but odd for the first couple of months...I wouldn't buy an automatic, but I don't mind driving one.

11. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Been driving for about 40 years and only had manual cars. 6 years ago, I bought a used BMW 325i Touring with the 3-in-1 box: normal 'dim-witted' auto (but fine for urban use) / sport auto / 5 speed manual override when 'in the mood'. I'd want the same set-up if I had to change cars for any reason - this transmission 'ticks all the boxes' ha ha.

12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I learned to drive a stick on a 70s Vauxhall Viva while stationed in England in the mid 80s. Right hand drive of course but since I'm fairly ambidextrous it wasn't an issue. My cirrent ride is a 2015 Honda Accord Sport 6M (six speed manual). I also drive a 98 Honda Civic with a 5 speed stick for many years. My wife is Bulgarian so of course she grew up driving a stick. She's old school as well since her first car was a POS Fiat Ritmo that often had to be bump started lol. My Accord was her first new car in the US but now she drives a fat Infiniti Q50 Premium luxo cruiser. I like both to be honest. We spend a LOT of time on the road and have put about 400k on our cars in the last 12-13 years. I have 2 payments left on the Accord and would love to sell it and buy a used Honda Pilot.

13. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

I much prefer to drive a manual transmission but I must say our automatic with cruise control is much better for when we go on long trips.

14. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

I've gone from obsessed to over wanting a manual transmission. Confession: I bought a one way plane ticket to buy my new '99 4Runner in CO because it was near impossible to get the package with 5 speed, electric locker, heavy duty brakes and heavy duty electrical outside of that sales region.

Now most of my driving is start and stop metro area so that makes an automatic nice.

I also admit effective. My Subaru with CVT gets traction where old school and other vehicles I still use don't. It gets better fuel economy overall than my brother's 6 speed manual version of same car. The manual ranges with the paddle shifting are plenty fine when a fixed ratio is good.

I get waves of thinking I'd enjoy a VW GTI with manual transmission but think BEVs are the better future for a lot of us. With luck or brains I'll have no new transmissions for a few years.

15. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Both. When I was learning, my older brother had a Corvair (turbo, stick), Dad had an Olds 88 (auto). My brother was into film-making (super 8) and he wanted to take the hood off the Corvair so he could film straight out the front. He didn't trust me with the camera, so I was made the driver. I was 11, so I sat on a boat cushion...wood blocks were duct-taped to the pedals for me.
    I still have those reels of film somewhere. A drive thru the neighborhood in 1968...

I want a Model T...three pedals. Left to right: gearshift, reverse, brake. Throttle and spark advance on the column...

16. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe we should have a separate category for double-clutch boxes, as they don’t suffer any power loss and can shift faster than any human. They read your mind and always have the next gear selected and ready to change in milliseconds. That’s not the same as a good old fashioned slush box torque converter. Nor is it the same as a CVT.

I guess my point is, all “automatics” are not the same and we shouldn’t discuss them as if they were.

My point about warming to a double clutch for the track is borne from what happens in braking zones. I can heel and toe, but will almost always lose time compared to a two pedal where the double clutch is cracking off the downshifts while threshold braking. It frees up some mental capacity which is a valuable commodity.

Dan German and trapdoor2 like this.
  17. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I chose "prefer auto, can drive manual" only because of the realities of driving in the US. Can rarely find any 'fun' driving, and rowing a stick in traffic is just tedious. But I feel one still has better control in adverse traction conditions with a manual clutch, so if I lived in the snow belt or was an "off- roader" you bet I'd have a manual.

18. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Grandson has a 2016 Stingray with manuel trans. But he looked far and wide to find one.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Or in a Mike long traffic queue!

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

It does, though more because of the traffic than the lack of scenery.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.