Cars - Automatic or Manual Transmissions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Feb 29, 2020.

Can You Drive A Car With A Manual Transmission

1. Yes - Give me a manual, or give me death!

49 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Yes - I prefer a manual but would buy an automatic

82 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Yes - I prefer an automatic, but I can drive a manual

70 vote(s)
    34.3%
  4. No - I only drive automatics

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I miss the trailing-throttle exhaust sound of carbureted cars with “lightly muffled” exhaust and manual transmissions. I can get a small amount of those Jollies driving our old Toyota T-100 V6 4WD farm truck since I replaced the rusted stock exhaust with a “lightly muffled” under the bed abbreviation.

But that stiff-ass clutch really sucks in rush-hour traffic. And the six-speed auto trans in my Grand Caravan just works.

I guess I like being able to still drive a manual once in awhile but not have to commute in one.

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Car makers just want to sell as many cars as they can. The easier they make them to drive means they can sell more cars to people who might balk at driving if they were all manuals...

3. Quarterpounder

Quarterpounder Tele-Meister

Learned at 12 or 13 on a 1963 MG Midget. The only car I can really work on with confidence. Went on to BMWs and then a 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy with a granny low gear. I could push start even the big truck on flat ground by myself and get down the road without a working starter. I now drive a 1978 Mercedes automatic these days. If I panic I still slam my left foot down reaching for the clutch!

unixfish likes this.
  4. JDC

JDC Tele-Holic

Haven't driven an automatic in years. Shifting gears makes me feel like I'm "driving" instead of simply "steering". Also, with manuals becoming more and more scarce, it's my "passive anti-theft system" against would-be "joy riders".

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

I have both. Mrs prefers driving an automatic (but can and did drive a stick for years), so her car and the truck are both automatics. My hot rod go cart is a stick.

6. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

I prefer a manual tranny. I like to choose when I shift, & I feel like I can make decisions about what gear I need better than a computer programmed auto tranny.

Because automatics can be controlled by a brain, all I think they do is make it easier for some engineer somewhere to make a ignition map/fuel map/shifting protocal that caters to emissions......

7. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

Not really. I'm used to driving right side steering wheel and a Kubota tractor.

For the rest, I know single and twin stick shifting.

8. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

I have a Jeep Wranger six speed manual transmission.

9. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I learned to drive on a manual transmission, and my first several cars were manuals, but for the last two decades or so I've driven automatics.

My last car had an self-shift option on the auto that I used occasionally, and my current car has that as well as paddles on the wheel, but I never use them.

What's the point of having a manual in 2020? They used to say that manuals were quicker and got better gas mileage, but it's definitely the reverse of that today. Some high performance cars don't even offer the manual option.

With electric cars becoming more common and self-driving cars already a reality, the manual vs. auto debate is increasingly becoming the province of old men.

bgmacaw and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I much prefer a manual. My left knee however vehemently disagrees.

Jlwctn likes this.
  11. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

12. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Natural born reaction time.

My mom sent me this-

13. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

Manual's fine, but if either knee decides to act up, I'm stuck.
    Automatic.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've driven manual transmissions in trucks with two sticks allowing for twelve, sixteen, and twenty forward gears. I've driven ten, thirteen, and fifteen speed transmission. Drove a thirteen speed with air shifted two speed differentials that allowed you to shift all the way through the gears, shift the rear ends to the high ratio, and shift back into fifth gear, and shift up again to the final gear, by the time you got there you were HIGHBALLING!

Now, I don't ever want to intentionally drive a standard, or manually shifted transmission again, EVER. I would in an emergency, but I would not buy one under any circumstances. I've shifted all I want to.

PS:

Took my original chauffer's (Class A, or Class 1) license test in a cracker box GMC, with a twelve speed Spicer transmission. Three positions, a twist knob, and a tee handle device allowed you to select the twelve forward gears. I doubt any of these are in service by now, they were a royal pain to keep track of.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  15. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

upload_2020-2-29_20-51-4.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Rowdyman, Stubee, Glen W and 2 others like this.
  16. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Afflicted

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I learned to drive in a '73 Toyota manual in a snowstorm on my 16th b-day...great way to learn, as it won't stall if ya bog it. Have driven manuals most of my life, drive a '15 Honda Fit manual (great fun despite being a non-performance car) and will likely keep it until I can't drive it. I have no problems with the automatics, but if forced to do so, would prefer a well executed dual clutch or an old school automatic. I have a great distaste for CVTs...a GREAT distaste!!!

unixfish likes this.
  17. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

My '78 Porsche is a five speed manual and my '19 Tacoma is a six speed automatic.

Makes sense to me.
    fullsizeoutput_381.jpeg

Stubee, dkmw and Mr. Neutron like this.
  18. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Here in Blighty the wheel is on the right along with the gas pedal. I could never understand why it's the same for cars with the wheel on the left.

19. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I LOVE to drive manual transmissions, but traffic here in the PNW between Seattle, and Tacoma is brutal, and takes the fun away from driving a stick shift. Stop and go traffic is so bad, that you are constantly on the clutch shifting back and forth at very slow speeds, and makes for short clutch life. Automatic trannies make driving in heavy traffic SO much easier.

Dan German and bgmacaw like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.