1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cars - Automatic or Manual Transmissions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Feb 29, 2020.

Can You Drive A Car With A Manual Transmission

1. Yes - Give me a manual, or give me death!

49 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Yes - I prefer a manual but would buy an automatic

82 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Yes - I prefer an automatic, but I can drive a manual

70 vote(s)
    34.3%
  4. No - I only drive automatics

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

2. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

My 1st was a 3-on-the-tree rambler.Next was 4-on-the-floor with 4H/4L too.No prob driving a manual tranny.Current is automatic.Ease and convienience round town and traffic.But when it comes to a 4x4 got to be manual for me. btw, I didn't vote.Didn't see the better choice for me. Either or. No big deal for me.

dougstrum likes this.
  3. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Fiat 500 is auto so Mrs. Basher can drive it too, but I still grin ear to ear every time I get behind the wheel. I can imagine how much fun an Abarth would be.

nick0 and maggieo like this.
  4. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Abarth might just be one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. And that exhaust note!! I have people asking about Enzo all the time; it's practically a rare supercar! ;^)

boris bubbanov and basher like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My CJ-7 has three sticks. Two for the transfercase. Driving on ice with an automatic is suicide IMO. I can't imagine life with an automatic, but my wife has one in her Wrangler.:oops:

I did build my 1934 Chevy pro street rod with a 4000 RPM stall speed converter Turbo Hydromatic, but kind of a single purpose car for quick 1/4 mile times.:cool:

boris bubbanov, unixfish and Zepfan like this.
  6. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

When I first started driving, in the UK an automatic was something of a rarity. The perception was ‘there’s more to go wrong’. Also, most cars failed to start at one time or another and push starting was essential!
    Nowadays, it seems to be drifting in the direction of autos. Even small town runabouts are likely to be automatics, all be it CVTs. It’s still the case here that if you pass your test in an auto you can’t drive a manual. Not so long ago hardly anyone did so, simply because it restricted you to the relatively few, usually big automatic cars available. These were either new expensive models or old, once expensive models, very cheap because running costs and spares prices were prohibitive. I’ve no figures but I would suggest that the number of newly qualified auto only drivers is on the increase. With electric cars being forced upon us, I think it’ll be a continuing trend.
    Me? I passed in a manual car which means I can drive either. My last five cars and my current car were autos. After thirty years of fierce resistance, which I never really understood, my wife is now an auto driver.

black_doug likes this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I prefer manual, but have to go with automatic due to all the nerve damage from my back and bad knees. Hard enough just to walk sometimes, but I do miss shifting through the gears.

8. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Driving’s not fun anymore in the UK, manual or auto.

nick0 likes this.
  9. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hard to find standard cars or trucks now.

stnmtthw likes this.
  10. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Yup. I learned on a manual, but you can't find a new car with one these days.

Even the new Corvettes are all automatic transmissions.

11. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I like to sling the gears in my unassuming white four door sedan .

12. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

My first car had 3 foward and 1 reverse gears, manual change and no synchromesh, now that was a driving experience especially as the screen wiper was also manually operated. Since then I have driven manuals and automatics; paddle shift; a Renault with press button gear shift; vehicles with hand throttles, manual gears and no clutch; bikes with foot change on the right and others with it on the left; bikes with auto CV gears, etc etc. I still like to change the gears myself, except when in grid locked Brisbane, then I let the wife drive.

trev333 likes this.
  13. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Oh, I don't know - Cheddar Gorge in Somerset would be a lively trip with a manual change. I've only done it on a motorcycle but I had to work the gearbox pretty hard to get engine braking through those tight corners and then accelerate out cleanly. Plenty of grins afterwards.
    Dunno if it would be the same hoot in an automatic car though

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I think manuals connect you with the machine more... it's not just a point and shoot experience...

though, they are becoming a thing of the past with most vehicles even big trucks all having auto transmissions..

electric cars will soon be everywhere in cities....

15. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I learned with a clutch. My first car was a clutch.
    i have always preferred a clutch and have built hot rods and race cars, usually for a preference for a clutch.

My left knee burns. Hurts some days so much I can hardly walk. The right knee hurts from favoring the left. Daily driver clutch days are over. Weekend/occasional clutch days are questionable. Especially the heavy competition clutches.

FWIW, no clutch pedal is not a manual... IMO.
    but the technology Tremec is bringing to the table for example in the new GT 500 Mustang, and others looks very interesting. Though pricey.

And the VW (et al) automated clutch thing is an abomination. Clunky damned mess to drive to be honest. Much less repair..

Maybe starting in 2020, cant say with certainty. But this particular 19' Z06 in my driveway begs to differ.....

2019 Z06 v1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    nick0, Stubee, stnmtthw and 2 others like this.
  16. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Depends where you live ;) :

AEE735B2-8CA8-4BD5-895E-4E5DC2A1C52B.jpeg

nick0, Wrighty, Flaneur and 1 other person like this.
  17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

All three of my daughters can drive and have owned cars with manual transmissions. My mother used to love driving my brother's '50 Mercury with the 3 on the tree and overdrive.
    My first wife drove my 88 F-350 diesel 5 speed.
    Point is guys. . . . .
    If you can't drive a manual, turn in your man card.

Rowdyman and unixfish like this.
  18. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I like the auto that I have because you can also put it in tiptronic and row through the gears with the stick that way. It is also pretty ergonomic for it and somewhat similar to a manual with the stalk and position of the +/-. If I had a full on sports car for fun driving I would prefer a manual though.

19. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

So your daughters and wife are men? Personally I think that if you drive you ought to be able to drive a stick. It could be a matter of life or death.

20. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I haven't driven a manual in 26 years. I haven't needed to drive a manual in 26 years. I honestly don't know whether I could still do it or not. Don't much care either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.