1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cars - Automatic or Manual Transmissions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Feb 29, 2020.

Can You Drive A Car With A Manual Transmission

1. Yes - Give me a manual, or give me death!

49 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Yes - I prefer a manual but would buy an automatic

82 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Yes - I prefer an automatic, but I can drive a manual

70 vote(s)
    34.3%
  4. No - I only drive automatics

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My first car, purchased in 1973 for $200 was a 1956 Chevy 210 model.
    It had a “3 on a tree” manual transmission.
    I had to teach myself how to drive it, so I drove around my high school’s football stadium till I could shift smoothly.
    I sometimes had to “pop start” it.
    It was a great car.
    I bought another one, same paint (blue & white) in 1985.
    I wish I’d kept them.
    Great memories!

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

It's funny, I was just talking about this and relating it to guitars with a friend, Teles in particular. To me a Telecaster is a lot like driving stick. The level of physical connection that comes from the guitar fighting you just a little bit is what make playing a Tele so rewarding. Not unlike driving an old school 5 peed manual roadster down an empty winding B road.

3. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I learned to drive a "stick" when I was 16, at work. We had to take a large stake body truck across town - about 20 miles or so - loaded with lots of junk from the plant where we worked. I was the only person with a valid, in-state license. The older guys who went along coached me, and I got it pretty well. I had already driven motorcycles, so I had the basic idea. Kinda scary, though, in a big truck, with a clutch, on a hill, at a red light, with traffic all around...

My last Subaru was a manual, and I drove that for 12 years. That was enough for me - it's just too much work added to the increasing hassle of driving. Our F-250 Powerstroke trailering vehicle is an automatic.

4. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

My last was also a 4-speed, 4-cylinder Chevy Cavalier, put over 200k miles on that thing. Great car

5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Last manual I had was an MG. Before that I had a VW Beetle. I learned on manual and my first two cars were manual. Had bikes my whole life so in that sense I've always driven manual. I prefer modern day automatics and would not buy another car or truck that was manual. No benefit.

Skully likes this.
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Somehow I got a much newer first car. A piece of crap '64 Ford Fairlane. Not nearly as cool as a '56 Chevy. But it had the three-on-the-tree shifting. With a crazy amount of play in the linkage. Every time I shifted it sounded like someone arming a Gatlin gun...

The guy who sold it to me had parked it nose in, about 50 feet down the alley in back of the restaurant where we worked. Just enough room to open the doors. He came back an hour later, and I'm still in the alley, trying to get out. :lol:

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

I've driven automatics occasionally. Not a pleasant experience. Well maybe, if there's a really responsive sport mode, but really, why? I suppose I could learn not to "clutch" on the brake pedal, but again, why?

Sadly it seems there are fewer and fewer manual options for each year that passes - even when we bought our last new car in 2011 the salesman looked at me a bit funny when I demanded a proper gearbox on the XC60.

8. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

I used to tell people I didn’t know how it drive automatics. Which at the time I felt like there was at least some truth to because, for example, I knew how to handle a stick in the snow or on icy roads but didn’t understand how to exercise the same ideas in a automatic.

Because of my growing family the last two cars I’ve had have been automatics. A Honda minivan and now a Subaru Outback (unfortunately there were no sticks to be had). I didn’t hate the Honda, but I didn’t love it either. The Subaru is nice though.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I used to like manuals but once you start driving in traffic, a lot of stoplights or stop and go traffic, liking the manual seems to go away pretty fast!
    Also, drag racing automatics are faster.... :eek:

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I cringe when I hear you guys call manuals, stick shifts.... sounds corny...:rolleyes:

autos have a stick to change gears, too.... don't they?..:D

everyone should learn in a manual... if you can't get it together to drive a manual, you shouldn't be on the road....:twisted:

meric and unixfish like this.
  11. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Can't see much point in having more pedals than I have feet.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Oh, no.....

13. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Manual! Hate driving auto’s. The driving experience with an auto is too vague.

In Britain autos are associated with old men, bad drivers and sales reps that spend time in motorway traffic.

14. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

The more driving you do, the more you appreciate automatics. They just make driving easier.

AFAIK every vehicle in the US military is automatic (this is what I've heard, but I may be wrong on this).

15. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I have always preferred manual transmission. Real hotrods have
    3 pedals, just like my old truck:twisted:

A year and a half ago, just a week before my grand daughter was born; a buzzard took out the windshield on the '41. Took a while to get new glass:( I needed to get to her house at moments notice as her husband was stationed over seas.
    So i bought a modern car with auto; I am
    kind of spoiled now:rolleyes:

16. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

Auto allows for flappy paddles. Much fun. Also, Nottingham traffic is really bad and it saves a bit of sanity.

17. trev333

Depends where you live, really... autos are better in city traffic and stop/ start commuting.... no argument there... ;)

18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I've always had manual transmissions, until my present vehicle. It has a 7-speed dual-clutch flappy paddle manu-matic. You can shift it manually but I seldom bother, it usually makes faster and better choices than I would. I can choose between modes - Eco, Comfort, Normal, and Race - which alter the shift points, chassis damping, and engine mapping.

19. trev333

does it have a clutch pedal ?

20. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

I bought a 2016 Ford Focus with an automatic transmission. Bad idea. They put in a DCT Transmission which is essentially a manual transmission shifted electronically. There is a known shuddering issue particularly in second gear. Almost unbearable at times. Apparently it's a dry clutch that is prone to contamination through a leaky seal. I have been using an SCT flasher and getting it tuned but still experience the shudder intermittently. Should have waited until a manual became available!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.