Carr Rambler/BFDR - What would you do?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bobbyk, Dec 8, 2011.

1. bobbyk

bobbyk TDPRI Member

I've had a Carr Rambler for many years now. I've had man amps in my [long] life but the Carr is the amp I've held onto the longest. It brings a smile to my face every time I turn it on and plug in. It always sounds exactly the same as it did the last time I plugged in.

So I'm in a music store a few months backs and there's this super-clean '67 BFDR sitting on the follow. I plug into it and....well let's just say that the tone was all there. They're asking the higher side of the going price for a BFDR in this condition - approximately the cost of a new Rambler.

If its were you and you could have only one of the two amps would you keep the Carr or sell the Carr and buy the BFDR?

2. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

"Carr is the amp I've held onto the longest. It brings a smile to my face every time I turn it on and plug in. It always sounds exactly the same as it did the last time I plugged in."

Sounds like a keeper....the grass is always greener etc......

3. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

The Carr, hands down, no question, no contest. My Rambler is the best amp I have ever heard.

4. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I personally would keep the Carr. Lots of people play a BFDR, whereas Carrs are few and far between. It makes you and your sound unique.

5. Chris Callahan

Chris Callahan Tele-Holic

A guitar shop guy and player that I respect says that if all he has is a Rambler and a Nocaster he knows he can make a living. That always stuck with me.

Also the respect that I see from sound guys regarding Carrs.

Plus the reaction of a local rocker girl upon hearing an E cowboy chord through a Slant 6, "what was that?!" and promptly bought a Rambler.

I've always played through SF Fenders but if I had the dough, I'd have a Carr.

6. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If you're a collector and think of the future resale value, get the Fender !
    If you're a player gigging regularly, keep the Carr !

You want that specific blackface tone ? get the original, get the Fender !
    You want more (blackface meets tweed at any level, bedroom or club) ? get the Carr !

The Rambler is definitely not a clone of the Deluxe Reverb. It's quite a different circuit.
    The big pluses :
    - the 14/28W switch (more tweed-like in the triode mode and closer to the blackface sound in the pentode mode)
    - a superb EQ section (especially the tone-sculpting mid knob)

In your case I would definitely keep the Carr...
    sell one or two guitars...
    and buy the Fender !

7. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

That's a tough one. I'd personally bring in your Carr and really compare them.
    If you love the DR better then make it happen.

I always wanted a Rambler, but I feel in most scenarios I always go back to Fender.
    So I have Victoria and Allen amps in front of all other except Fender, just depends on the model/circuit I am looking for.

Good luck. I am sure there will be pros and cons of both.

8. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

I have an original '65 Deluxe Reverb with a JBL K120. A good friend back in NY picked up a Rambler and raved about it so when a used one came up on TGP for a very nice price I bought it. I A/B'd with my DR and sold it on Craigslist four days later. It sounded good and more like a bigger Princeton Reverb to me but it's a totally different animal than a DR.

9. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Tele-Meister

In my opinion and experience, it's never a good idea to sell an amp you like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.