1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

carport/shelter - steel bldgs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Deeve, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

a non-tele question -
    who has experience w/ the screw-together RV shelters, carports?

what worked?
    what failed?
    what do you wish you'd been told?
    what "upgrades" are a waste of time/money?

who makes a good one?
    how do they compare to what is in stock @ local building supply stores like HD or Lowes?
    self-assemble or entrust to a specialized installer?
    what question have I failed to ask?

Something like this -
    https://www.shedsforlessdirect.com/versatube-2sided-20x20x10-classic-steel-carport-p-826.html

Peace - Deeve

2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am in the middle of building one of these barn, rather large at 35' x 65' and I can say for sure that it is a pain in the ass. Quality unit and well engineered but thousands of bolts.
    https://www.futurebuildings.com/steel-building-styles.html
    It depends on your needs and budget, there are a lot of places that sell decent carports around here and I like the idea that you can enclose them as you see fit. Do your homework though as there is a lot of junk out there as well.

Deeve likes this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have been involved in building quite a few steel buildings and my quick answer is have the seller do the install. Like was already said, they can be very tedious to build and places around here don't charge much to erect them anyway....plus they will be up fast.

There is a shed builder about an hour drive away that supplied buildings to the government to use for atomic bomb tests. They still have one sitting out in front of their business that was in the blast and survived as a testiment to their strength. It was a little twisted, but otherwise it did survive pretty well. I purchaed a steel building from them about 12 years ago and the cost to have them install it was only $400. Likely twice that now or more, but that was a 2 car garage with a 20 ft door. I wouldn't expect a car port to cost much to have it assembled.

Trust me, having someone else spend their day cussing and throwing bolts instead of you is worth paying for in my view.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I like steel frames for longer life.
    I had it in my house, back patio/cooking area and big carport.
    Roofing also.

Deeve likes this.
  5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

The 90mph wind loading is a deal breaker for me
    I know a few people that have had Quonset huts constructed on their property. Pretty much wind proof.

Deeve likes this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I put a large Carolina Carport at our last house. I forget the dimensions, but I ordered it a little larger than the norm for a two car and a foot taller (so I could get my F250 4wd under it). In a pinch, I could squeeze the F250, a Crown Victoria, and a Nissan pickup under it to prevent hail damage. It was put up over a previously laid asphalt pad, and held down with big screw-in stakes. I had them put it up...not enough hands to do it myself.

It was under a couple of "dirty" trees, so really kept the crap off the vehicles. BUT, I didn't think it through and ordered the cheaper curved roof/roofline with horizontal strengthening bends vice the bit more expensive triangular roofline with vertical strengthening bends (if that makes sense). The result was the dirty trees loaded the roof up with all sorts of leaves, nuts, branches, etc...that had to be removed about twice a year (they caught on the horizontal bends and wouldn't just slide off). That was a supreme hassle, because one cannot walk on it. I'd buy the more expensive roof option next time. That is really my only beef with it.

Edit: your link/photos looks like the one I had, but no sides...beware tree junk, snow, ice...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Deeve likes this.
  7. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have 3 metal buildings. My house is 2000 sf, a garage/shop with 900 sf with a 900 sf carport, and my music room/office which is 1500 sf plus a 900 sf carport.

Definitely contract with someone to put it up. They'll have the right tools (like big Genie lifts) and the experience to get it done quickly. I suppose if it's a smaller building, you could do it yourself, but think about the tools you'll need (like how am I going to lift that I-beam and roof purlins 20 feet off the ground and hold there while I attach it?)

I can't imagine trying to plow through a blue print or installation guide and try to sort it out. If you think Ikea furniture is hard... ;)

Hire someone and be done with it.

Edit: Sorry I just looked at your proposed building in the link. That may not be too bad, but still think about how much help you're need.

Cheers,
    Doug

Milspec, LAPlayer and stormsedge like this.
  8. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

If you have to ask........... hire it done professionally - by the vendor. Let their warranty and insurance handle any issues.

Milspec likes this.
  9. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

^ This

Milspec likes this.
  10. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

I helped my father assemble metal storage buildings. If you enjoyed puzzles, putting plastic models together and building stuff out of Legos during your childhood, then you might enjoy the process.

My father always said "Having the right tools for the job is key to success". The right tools and equipment will allow you to assemble it faster and more safely.

Will you build this alone or with help?

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Pole buildings are a nice alternative. Yeah, they may only last 40-60 years (?) but do you care. And they look "normal" instead of like a metal building.
    I had mine built with normal roof overhangs 20 years ago and it still looks new.

One word of advice though, I'd go with the more expensive "standing seam" metal roof material if you go metal roof. On the simple corrugated metal roof I have, the screws back themselves out a bit! I have no idea how they do this, but when I clean the roof every few years I have to tighten them back down!

Milspec likes this.
  12. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Thermal stresses, heat/cool cycle, expanding/contracting. That's how they come loose.

schmee likes this.
  13. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good common-sense suggestions, esp the warnings on where Not to "cheap out".
    Lots of tree-droppings @ our lot, so the direction of corrugation will matter - I'm even seeing that in the direction of the broom-finished concrete.
    Thanks, trpri hive-brain!

Peace - Deeve

stormsedge likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.