1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Carnivore Diet

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by swervinbob, Feb 27, 2021.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't trust a doctor's nutritional advice...in fact I'm not sure why a doctor would feel competent to give nutrition advice since it's beyond the scope of their education....and almost as suspect to me would be a dietician's advice. It'd be a safer bet probably to take that sort of advice from both archaeologists and zoologists.

2. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No, it's lots of fat and protein but veggies are fine too, except for stuff like corn and carrots that are full of sugar. Very little fruit, most of which is loaded with sugars, but berries are relatively low carb and I eat a lot of blackberries and raspberries (and a few blueberries, which are sweeter) with cottage cheese for breakfast a few times a week. I eat a LOT of salad with stuff like avocados, tomatoes, and usually some sort of protein, like leftover meat or chicken or fish. Stuff that's not keto that I eat occasionally, but very rarely, are the bread in a sandwich, a couple slices of pizza, occasionally some sort of potatoes, or some rice if we have Thai or Indian food. But I only have non keto meals a couple times a week on average.

It's not a full carnivore diet, but philosophically they're not that far apart - fat and protein are the fuel, carbs are pretty much the enemy in either. I used to be a pretty hard core cyclist and I ate TONS of carbs, probably more than a lifetime worth, and now I avoid them pretty close to totally.

-Ray

swervinbob and mycroftxxx like this.
  3. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Carnivores generally eat the stomach contents of their prey, so the cardiologist is not telling the whole truth...

northernguitar likes this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ray - I figured. Note the OP is trying to eat red meat and water. Nothing more ...

5. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

Which could turn your : into a ;.

6. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The formula for losing weight is to burn more calories than you consume. It is that simple. What is hard is motivation and commitment.

I find if I can get in a groove with regular running or walking, after a short period of time, say 2 or 3 weeks, I will start resenting not getting my walk or run in. Then, if something happens that keeps me from doing it for a week or more, I have to work to get back to that point of feeling like I don't want to miss a run.

Greg70 and Digital Larry like this.
  7. mycroftxxx

mycroftxxx TDPRI Member

For those curious about the health effects of an all-meat diet, the definitive scientific experiment has been done - in the 1920s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilhjalmur_Stefansson#Advocacy_of_exclusively-meat_diet

Summary: both experimental subjects were perfectly healthy at the end of one year. There were peer reviewed papers written; the Wikipedia article links to at least one. Note that you need to eat relatively fatty meat to avoid what’s called “rabbit starvation”. But there’s little doubt that there are no significant health issues with the so-called carnivore diet in general.

One interesting outcome from the experiment is that it definitively put to rest the idea that carbohydrates are essential in the diet; they aren’t (unlike fat and protein, which are absolutely dietary essential macronutrients). Also, there were no vitamin deficiencies among the experimental subjects, even vitamin C.

Please don’t read this post as advocating an all-meat diet; I’m simply stating the scientific facts. Personally, I like veggies way too much to go all-meat, but I do severely curtail starches and sugars (including fruit, alas) with good results. I appear to be one of those people who are substantially more sensitive to sugar and simple starches than the average, and the no-sugar-no-starch way of eating has been the only dietary plan that I’ve been able to follow successfully and keep my weight under control.

For those in this thread who espouse the “calories-in-less-than-calories-out” approach...well, yeah, of course, but it’s instructive to ask why this approach is so difficult for so many people on the typical semi-starvation weight loss diet (hint - saying those damned fatties just lack willpower is neither helpful nor, in all likelihood, correct); the human biochemistry of food is quite complex and, almost certainly, “a calorie is not just a calorie”. I.e., the caloric content of a given foodstuff is likely not remotely the most important thing about it from a dietary standpoint; it’s how the body responds to that food, and that will be massively different, with massively different health implications, if that calorie is is from, say, typical breakfast cereal or fatty red meat. And it will also depend on how well your ancestors adapted to a preponderance of grains in their diet. Finally, I’ll point out that a severely carb-restricted diet is the only approach right now that has been clinically shown to reverse Type II diabetes. Lots of interesting results out there...

8. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

After one year.
    I'd be curious to see the results of such a diet after five years.

9. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

That total bs. A tiger eats whole animals, bones and eyes and full stomachs. Not pure meat at all. Same goes for all the predator animals. They eat everything.

10. Deebers

Deebers TDPRI Member

mycroftxxx, the interesting thing about this all meat study is that it is relating to the Inuit diet, which involved eating all parts of the animals hunted and often in raw or frozen preparation. This is wildly different than most people doing a "Carnivore" diet today.

11. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I've tried keto on and off a few times over the past couple years. I'm a runner of average weight and I'm only 26, but my dr. said my cholesterol is looking high.

Just putting it out there before you go all red meat all the time

12. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

I have a feeling we ain't gonna talk you out of this endeavor so please take vitamins, and talk to your doctor (this diet isn't good for anyone but it's much worse for some). Also, don't just tell yourself you feel good, make sure you actually feel good. If you don't eat a damned salad or a banana.

You're not trying to prove the diet works, you're trying to get healthier. If that's not happening reassess.

13. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

The keto diet has also shown to be effective in treating people with severe epilepsy. The diet puts your body into ketosis, and your brain processes energy differently, which has the good side effect of reducing seizures.

mycroftxxx likes this.
  14. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

15. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

I used to follow a high protein low carb, moderate fat diet for years. The bodybuliding lifestyle. Lift weights, avoid cardio as much as possible to preserve muscle mass. I'd eat two chickens as a meal with water, ate a bunch of fish and occasionally cow. I looked good but my arteries were clogging up. I got older, quit the intense bodybuilding but stuck to the meat diet. I had a heart attack while doing a zip line obstacle course. 100% clogged arteries. Humans evolved to supplement our vegetable diet with occasional meats. We are not cats. I'm 100% vegan and healthy now, meat isn't a necessity any longer because we have access to all sorts of plant proteins. I eat a bunch of vegetables and do endurance sports vs heavy weight lifting. I feel better at 56 than I did at 40.
    Keto is a way to force the body into a certain mode, but it isn't long-term healthy. Eat more vegetables, eat less processed foods, cut your calories to match your output. All common sense approaches.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  16. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Madness in my opinion, but it's your body. Good luck.

northernguitar and MilwMark like this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

maybe try the subway diet, it worked wonders for that Jared guy.

18. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

I think it only works on child molesters.

swervinbob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.