Carlsbro TC60 - oddball NAD - speaker ohm?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Dacious, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Just picked up this oddball. It actually sounds nice even with Chinese tubes. Decent build with chassis mount tubes, ply cabinet. About 45lb.

b71531c6-8815-4117-95f3-cfcb1986c6f4.jpg

It appears I have the smaller version with two band eqs, only 2 preamp tubes and no reverb or FX loop, which should have had a Carlsbro-labelled 10" it seems

It's got 2 X 12AX7s and 2 X EL34s.

Someone modded the baffle and fitted a 12" Greenback, which is pretty new. I've subbed a 70/80 in just out of concern for a 25w speaker's likely lifespan both 16 ohms.

This amp sounds good but seems pretty low powered for allegedly 60 watts. Can anyone tell me the standard speaker ohmage? The larger combo with reverb used a 12" Celestion Hot 100 watt speaker. The 70/80 is a pretty efficient speaker.

The bigger combo in pics has 16 and 8 ohm external speaker connection. Mine the speaker wires come from inside the chassis. Theres no markings and I can't find any comprehensive specs.

Anyone know?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

They made two; 60TC and 60TC Twin.
    Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 14.47.49.png Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 14.48.22.png

3. Dacious

Ah - they're the original vintage ones. The one I have is the reissue Chinese PCB amp. I wish it was an original, they're worth a few bucks now.

They showed them at namm 2012 but I don't know if they ever sold them in the US.

4. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Being Chinesium, I expect it will be set up for 8 Ohms, no idea of the power rating, depends on the type of transformer used, probably 50Watts if EL34Bs.

PhredE likes this.
  5. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I had a used Carlsbro Twin 60 head around 20yrs ago. Great sounding amp but not really appropriate for bedroom boogying. The 2 x 12 closed back cab that came with it had 2 x 12" Celestion G12H-100 speakers inside.

Jon Snell likes this.
  6. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

7. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Do you have an 8Ω speaker that is rated for 60+ watts? Try it.

And remember that the power and wattage ratings on both the amp and speaker sides are measured with things running pretty hot. E.g. not "bass on 2, treble on 3, gain on 2, master on 4"

No shade or criticism if these get you the tone you're after at the appropriate volume level. I am already angry at my past self for being so cavalier about my hearing and I'm only starting my forties.

If you can't find the specific schematic for your amp, it's still possible to measure the actual output transformer. It just requires some gear and knowledge:

8. Dacious

Sorted it Jon - I messaged some English dudes who have them. 16ohm.

Also worked out that the master volume to the left of the overdrive affects both channels as does the volume in the clean side. It's bloody loud, for a nonverb-Princeton size cabinet. 2-band Baxendall type tone stack both channels.

Deserves a better speaker than the 70/80, but it's very crisp and clear and the drive channel has got great range. I reckon something like a Creamback or even a vintage G75T would be the go. Maybe a lead 80.

There's a bit of Vox, a bit of Orange, a bit of Marshall. No cheesy reverb, no crud like effects loops. The PCB is tiny and the sockets are bolted to chassis then extend into the PCB.

W.L.Weller likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.