Carlos Santana Explains Why He Left Gibson for PRS Guitars, Believes He Saved the Company With Advice He Gave Paul Reed Smith

loco gringo

Tele-Afflicted
I couldn't afford my first real electric guitar, either. It was 1982 and I was 20, and it was $600.00. It didn't stop me from buying it. I financed it at the store for 6 months. I just had to rearrange my priorities for a while, like living on scrambled egg sandwiches, Ramen noodles, $.99 frozen pizzas, and Castle beer. Used gig money to pay it off. Worked some overtime to boot.

Last edited:

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Yeah, here's mine... ;)

Nice

DSCF4331.jpg

bumnote

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Sorry it doesn't take a genius to suggest...budget model.
I can't say for certain but I think it's highly likely after 20-25 years he doesn't remember Santana's comment, but kept hearing it from people in the company and dealers.

elskipper

TDPRI Member
I’m reminded of the story PRS tells of the first guitar Santana got from him, which was actually built for Howard Leese, but Santana simply refused to give it back. The more I hear about Santana the person, the more I think he’s an arrogant entitled *****.

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Despite the nutty stuff he says, Carlos grew up the poorest of any musician I can think of except for maybe some that were African immigrants. He also seems to have managed his money better than most rock stars. I think he thinks his advice bailed PRS out and I could see him advocating for affordable instruments.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi:

It's from a couple of years ago, but I think it is an interesting read. Here is an excerpt from the article:

"I said, 'Paul, look, when I started, they used to have the Gibson Junior, they called it the student model.'

"I said, 'Why don't you make student models, man? A lot of people cannot afford - people in junior high school, in high school - they can't afford the guitars that you make for me, so make one for kids who go to junior high school and high school.'

"And he kept looking at me like I was crazy, and so after about literally almost like 20-25 years, he finally listened to me. I'm not exaggerating, I pretty much believe this saved his company, you know, because, the youngsters...

Carlos believes a lot of things. Some people believe in little green men from mars the Lockness monster, Big Foot, The Wendigo, Snake handling, the sanctity of marriage, lot's of folks believe that they know what's good for you and you don't.
I believe that when I walk in the door I take off my Birkenstocks set them by the door have a glass of cold water lay down and focus on how my body feels
Tom Coaster was the last good thing to happen on a Santana recording.
Who is Tom Coasteryou ask?