1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Caring For Nitrocellulose Lacquer Guitar

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by DAKnox, Jul 31, 2018.

1. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

After 25 years of Poly guitars I've got my first guitar which is nitro. A very nice Made in Japan Strat.

I have a polish for the finish which is suitable for nitro, it's by a company called Music Nomad. So I'm OK with that.

What I do from time to time is put a little Dunlop 65 Lemon Oil on a rosewood fretboard then wipe it off with a cloth.

I done that to this guitar for the first time but I'm a little worried now.

If I got a little lemon oil on the nitro would it damage it? I wiped the finish down with a different cloth after doing the fretboard. Should it be OK?

Will this be OK to do in future or should I avoid the lemon oil getting anywhere near the finish?

2. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

I don’t think it would damage the finish if you got it off and didn’t leave it for long. Personally I would never use lemon oil on any of my rosewood or ebony fretboards. I only use Music Nomad F1 oil, once a year, and only a very small amount. With regards to keeping the nitro properly cared for - I spray a micro fibre cloth with Music Nomad Detailing spray and wipe down the finish after I play. I don’t use polish unless I get a fine scratch or, as I did recently, when I chipped the finish of one my guitars and repaired it. I find polish advertised for guitars to usually be pretty ineffective. When required I use bodyshop safe car polish - Menzerna 3800 - sparingly. The only other advice I can give is to keep the guitar in its case when you’re not using it.

3. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Put it in a freezer for a few hours....
    then immediately take it out in the hot sun....
    bash it on some rocks and what-not....
    get a knife and carve your initials on it somewhere...

NOW you have a guitar!

:D:D:D

Mr. Neutron, MilwMark and Tezuka27 like this.
  4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Dude! You forgot to mention, you're supposed to clean it with acetone first!

Grant Austin likes this.
  5. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

It wont hurt anythjng. Lemon oil is normally just a mineral oil mix with lemon scent. I Have been using variations on nitro guitar fretboard for years.

DAKnox likes this.
  6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Lemon oil polish is safe and you can clean gunk from the fretboard or finish with Naphtha (or Ronson lighter fluid, which is Naphtha with colorant). Every other tech I know keeps Naptha or lighter fluid (because the squeeze bottles are handy) on their tech benches.

I only use Stewmac's Preservation polish, but the Music Nomad stuff is OK. You don't want any polish that leaves anything on the surface - polish should only "polish" the surface, not act like a wax. I do not recommend any auto body polishes as most contain silicones; others may be clay based and too abrasive for lacquer.

Professionally applied, cured lacquer is one if the most durable and easiest-to-care-for finishes available.

eallen and DAKnox like this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I didn't know there were any nitro MIJ Fender guitars.

But, if you want your finish to look pristine in 20 years, nitro may not be the ticket.

8. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

I didn't know either until I got this one. The seller told me it was but I wasn't totally convinced, I bought it anyway as I don't have a preference with regards to nitro/poly. I sent the serial number to Fender and they sent me back a spec. for the guitar which confirmed it.

I'm not bothered about it looking pristine at all, I'd just rather not actively damage it.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Others like @Silverface are versed in finishes. But if that is your goal, I'd not polish it with anything. At least not more than once a year or so. Wipe down with a cotton cloth if you want to dust or remove sweat.

DAKnox likes this.
  10. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

"Polish" is a word that can mean many things. Stay away from anything that's got a heavy body or cream consistency because it might be an abrasive (albeit a fine one). However the pump polishes like Gibson or Martin or Planet Waves (although the last one smells like candy) are fine as a cleaner to help remove fingerprints. Microfiber cloths are amazing for that.

Otherwise don't worry it's still a reasonably tough finish that's been used for many years on furniture. The only caveat is never let it get near anyone who has applied bug repellent - it will eat into the nitro and leave print marks from your skin/hair. I have not experimented to see if it's only deet/deep woods off or other types of bug repellent that do this.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  11. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.