Career Change - Back to School.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by metalicaster, May 19, 2018.

1. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

So, I've been working my way up in the retail industry for a good number of years.

Thing is, it just seems too much like work making myself do it every day, which is generally a sign that you're in the wrong job.
    So, come October I'm heading back to school -Mechanical Engineering.

I have entry level work in the field lined up, which will pay my way while I get trained up and the prospects at the end of it look much better than those on my current career path - if I can make the grade.

Change of country, change of career.

Notice given in to employer, move organised.

Yet I'm not nervous, odd. I'm sure it'll catch up to me all at once.

2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I hope it all goes well for you. Any more info... change of country??? A bit of a tease!:)

3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

I went to university aged 40 and loved every minute. Fortunately I had no real money worries, having paid up my mortgage, a wife in a good job and money in the bank. I did see fellow students struggle with money, work and family issues, on top of the course reading and assignments. It can be hard,and it's worth researching how the qualification helps in the long game, especially if you have to compete against younger applicants in the work place, though age does bring some advantages, like knowing who Elvis was.

4. metalicaster

Canada,
    Finding out I can study and work at the same time sealed the deal. I had been doing Engineering years ago, but my career took off and went for that - seemed right at the time.
    Being a qualified engineer with a couple of years work experience at the other end would be a great help towards staying, if I wanted to.

5. metalicaster

I definately think I'm in a better position than I would have been if I'd continued to university straight from school.
    Both financially and from having experience of really having to work, 18 year old me certainly wouldn't have got it together enough.

6. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Wow big changes. Im wishing you a good bit of luck with this.
    How did your last fortune cookie read?

Cause Im a wanderer, yeah Im a wanderer,
    I roam around around around around

Deon and the Belmonts

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Good on ya’!
    I did retail most of my adult life.
    Steve Earle wrote a song about it, Nowhere Road.
    Good luck!

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats Metal.
    Designing a hinge for a seat cushion on an aircraft is still more exciting than retail.

9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

I found being older and more experienced at uni can work in 2 directions, For sure you'll cope with organizing your time and stress loads more effectively than a lot of younger folk, but at the same time it's easy to end up monopolizing discussion groups as a lot of kids hate talking in public now, and will defer easily. I purposely made myself "smaller" to allow others a voice; now and then you'll be surprised by how they see things. Also being older and supposedly wiser, I would often end up in a counselling role when other youngsters were going into meltdown; they tend not to approach their lecturers when they get into difficulty. It's easy to forget that many of these kids have never had to be responsible for themselves, and can come unglued a bit quickly, and the stresses then get played out in public.

Jimmy Owen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.