Card declined at the supermarket and Bank Of America fraud detection.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
I always have some cash in my wallet, just in case...:rolleyes:
Some people don't like to carry cash.

1664453858580.png

doghouseman

Tele-Holic
Be careful if they call and there is a concern of fraud because they might freeze your account. My wife used a card at a gas station and someone was hacking at the gas station. BoA called and warned her of fraud, she said she didnt make the transactions and BoA cancelled the card. The problem was, she was on the road and needed the card for gas! So just be careful if you confirm fraud they might freeze your account for some period of time.

Carrying some cash might help with this.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Several years back, we were victims of identity theft. Minor stuff. Fortunately, we have LifeLock. They were very helpful and pointed us toward a credit freeze on our accounts. This can only be unlocked by one of us, and it used to be a royal PITA - but now LifeLock has a place on their website where you can lock and unlock freezes with major credit companies. Haven't had any trouble since then.

However, a couple years ago I went to buy my Colorado. The salesman did the usual thing - back and forth with the manager - and wanted me to fill out a credit app. I told him my accounts were frozen, and it would be a major pain. Fortunately, I actually had the cash to buy it outright, so I told him I would rather just cut him a check. He STILL went to the manager for approval - and he said that since I'd lived here for 30 years, I probably wasn't a "flight risk," so it was OK, to which I replied good thing, because I'm sure the Ford dealer across the street would take my check if he didn't.
1664457372453.jpeg

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Last week a mystery charge appeared on Mrs. Roadie’s debit card from an eatery in Chicago. We haven’t been to Illinois, much less Chicago specifically, in 20+ years. They declined the next charge. She was able to get a new card same day from our local bank branch. I am grateful for our bank for catching it. Turns out she had an enormous sum in her account, well more than a typical individual, which motivated her to move 2/3 of it into savings.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I like BoA consumer banking services.
I've been with BA since 1992 . I've never had any issues/problems that BA couldn't straighten out quickly and to my benefit. I only use my Debit card for ATM cash deposits/withdrawals..never for purchases. I have 3 BA credit cards (and a couple others), pay off balances monthly (never pay interest) and make money on the cash rewards and other benefits they offer.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I stopped using debit card many years ago. From what I understand: Credit Card the bank and merchant are on the hook, Debit Card the money is out of your account and good luck.
It really isn't so perilous, but not as protected as a credit card. I use a debit card for 90% of my purchases. I receive a a text notification every time my debit card is used, so if there is fraud I will know immediately and essentially have no exposure if I notify the bank.

When it comes to consumer protection, different laws come into play. For credit cards, the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) ensures that you won't be responsible for fraudulently opened or used accounts. If someone took your credit card on a shopping spree, the most you'd be on the hook for is $50. In fact, most credit card issuers won't bother with charging you that amount at all. Once the fraud is identified, the erroneous charges are credited back to your account.

The law governing debit cards, though, is not quite so powerful. If a person used your debit card without your knowledge or authorization, your liability is protected by the Electronic Funds Transfer Act, which gives you the right to challenge fraudulent transactions. But you'd better act fast. As long as you alert the bank that your card was stolen or compromised before someone uses it, you won't be liable for any of the future transactions. Wait two business days after the fraud and you might have to pay up to $50. Miss that deadline and wait 60 days, and your liability increases to $500. Let 60 days pass and your liability is unlimited, which means all your money in the account that was taken might be lost for good.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've been with BA since 1992 . I've never had any issues/problems that BA couldn't straighten out quickly and to my benefit. I only use my Debit card for ATM cash deposits/withdrawals..never for purchases. I have 3 BA credit cards (and a couple others), pay off balances monthly (never pay interest) and make money on the cash rewards and other benefits they offer.
When you say ".....BoA couldn't straighten out quickly...." what do you mean? When I'm standing at the cash register, trying to check out, I don't have time for even a "quick" phone call to the bank......the people lined up behind me don't either. The issues I had had NOTHING to do with actual fraudulent behavior, but simply random checking to see if it was "authorized" usage. I NEVER had this happen with my own BBVA (now PNC) accounts. BTW, these WERE debit purchases, not credit cards, if that makes a difference.

suave eddie

Friend of Leo's
I stopped using debit card many years ago. From what I understand: Credit Card the bank and merchant are on the hook, Debit Card the money is out of your account and good luck.
This is true. If your debit card is compromised they can clear out your bank account with little to no recourse. Credit cards are protected from fraud.

I never use a debit card for anything other than occasionally getting cash from an ATM.

I purchase everything I can including utility bill payments on credit cards with perks like cash back or air miles and pay it off in full every month. I've been doing this for at least 20 years. Credit card companies have a name for people like me. Deadbeats.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Be careful if they call and there is a concern of fraud because they might freeze your account. My wife used a card at a gas station and someone was hacking at the gas station. BoA called and warned her of fraud, she said she didnt make the transactions and BoA cancelled the card. The problem was, she was on the road and needed the card for gas! So just be careful if you confirm fraud they might freeze your account for some period of time.

Carrying some cash might help with this.
Funny how BoA, gas stations, and fraud keep popping up in conversation. Mine was a BoA card on both of my incidents.

Makes one wonder doesn't it?

brupop

TDPRI Member
I'm near blood boiling over the REI card transition from US Bank to CapitalOne. A long time in I still have problems with it asking for PIN that does not exist and Apple Pay. Now after the replacement cards.

The frustration part is I manage IT in a grocery chain. I actually know a lot on how this all works. Each attempt with CapitalOne is a repeat succession of a first line staff member daft to the matters followed by a smug supervisor who ends it if I can do card swipes at PIN pads. Well, that's not an option at gas stations outside, kiosks and other places. Their thinking I don't know how to set up or use a phone is nonsense considering we manage around 200 Apple Mobile and Android on top of having 16 - 24 card terminals per location. Argh!

I have plenty of sympathy for a first line CSR having minimal knowledge but not when you face smug supervisors not understanding the problem, and/or firms who do a crappy job of acquisitions. Their nonsense on it being the phone can't be true when I just got a new phone and set it up fresh.

This makes the Apple Card appealing if only for they know how to do customer service.
I too have had customer support issues on this transition.
Another aspect of this change that chapped my chaps is the previous cash back is now only credit at REI.
A way around that is to purchase something and return it to the store; you get cash back.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
I purchase everything I can including utility bill payments on credit cards with perks like cash back or air miles and pay it off in full every month. I've been doing this for at least 20 years. Credit card companies have a name for people like me. Deadbeats.

I do the same. We're not total deadbeats. They don't mind us that much, 'cause they still get their percentage from every merchant we buy from.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I'm near blood boiling over the REI card transition from US Bank to CapitalOne. A long time in I still have problems with it asking for PIN that does not exist and Apple Pay. Now after the replacement cards.

yes. one of the biggest goat forks I have ever dealt with

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
This happened to one of the guys that does the Cannonball races across America. He was moving so, fast from state to state that it declined his debit card due to possible fraud at the gas station because he was out running their algorithm. The banks software was saying it was impossible that he was in Chicago at 10pm and St Louis at 3am or whatever it was. So it declined the card.

He had to call the bank and confirm that yes it was him using the card and it wasn't fraudulent lol.

I'll see if I can find the story/vid. Its on the YouTube channel VinWiki, owned by Cannonball record holder Ed Bolian.

Edit: this is my memory of how the story went. It may be a little different but the gist of the story stays the same. They out ran the algorithm lol

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
Here it is. All of you need to watch this! It's great! It was quite easy to find, incidentally lol

"Outrunning the American Express Algorithm" with Ed Bolian

Last edited:

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Cash IS king. Say what you like about other methods of paying being good, but this sort of thing is happening more and more.
We have got to the point we are being stopped paying by card by methods the bank wanted us to use to protect our money and it can now just lead to inconvenience, embarrassment and is time consuming to rectify what was never your fault!!!!!!!!