Carbon Copy

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bigben55, Oct 21, 2016.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

So. Delays I've had......
    -BBE Two Timer
    -Boss DD-3
    -EQD Dispatch Master
    -Visual Sound H2Ov3(still have, use as a rockabilly slapback, very sparingly)

I'm not a delay guy really. Yet I feel this, albeit probably stupid, urge to buy a Carbon Copy. Never had one. Maybe it's the delay that gets me to like delays? So many of us use, love and consider a delay as a pedalboard "must have." I've continually had high hopes then watched my shiny new delay pedal collect dust. Is it worth a shot or am I wasting a hundred bucks?

2. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I think its worth a shot and the carbon copy is a great, affordable analog delay that can do anything from a warm slapback to a darker, lo-fi long delay.

troy2003 likes this.
  3. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

I started with a Carbon Copy and even though I loved it, kept searching for others. I went through alot of the favorites: El Capistan, CB Echorec, CB Belle Epoch, Walrus Bellwether, Flashback. . . Now I'm just looking to get my Carbon Copy back.

4. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Too dark and murky for my taste. What exactly are you looking for? Your list has some nice digital and darker analog delays. What are you trying to accomplish?

Obsessed likes this.
  5. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I think the Two Timer was analog, but it was a LONG time ago that I had it. I honestly don't remember what made me sell it. The others were all digital. And that's the thing.....do I not dig digital delay, or delay PERIOD? I don't know. I figure if I get a CC and still not like it, I'm done with delay.

6. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Had it, sold it. Prefer the DM-2.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think if you've tried that list and didn't like any, you probably just don't like delay or have much use for it. While several are "digital" they implement digital very different with a resultant different sound and feel.

I need delay but for a few very specific purposes:
    1. To give "space" to leads
    2. To give more space and some swell to lap steel
    3. To mimic keys/synths

I don't need anything real fancy to do that.

I personally like the idea of the Carbon Copy but it was unusable for me. Two of my bandmates each have a CC and it sounds GREAT in their hands. Go figure. I personally find the DM-2w far superior for my needs. But again I doubt you'll like that. Sounds like you are just not a delay guy.

8. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't have, nor ever felt the absolute "need" for a delay.

I do have a slot to fill though on the minimalist board: amp>reverb pedal>?>Bad Bob boost>Timmy>wah>guitar. Other options are a chorus for Leslie tones(older Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus?) or a phaser. Amp has great tremolo already.

9. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

You, sir, need a Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe (univibe clone), and you need to place it between your wah and first drive pedal. That's all the free advice I'm giving out today.

RLee77 and blille like this.
  10. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Deluxe Memory Boy worked for me better than a CC. It's dark but comes with a low cut filter which adds flexibility and it has modulation and tap tempo.

11. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Carbon Copy. I think they are an excellent analog delay. But the BBE Two Timer is too, so I suspect that if you didn't care for the TT you might not be blown away by the CC either.
    (On my main board I actually went back to my trusty DD-3 for slapback.)

12. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Got one. Love it and use it for always on slap back. I run a Wampler Faux Tape Echo for the rest...

13. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have real high requirements of my delays, but I have a CC, DM-2 and DD-7. Got the DD-7 years ago and don't recall ever using it. I like short slap back with few repeats just for thickening and ambiance, and just about any delay will cover that. I use it just like reverb and comp, just enough to miss them when they are not there.

14. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

On my OTHER board(not minimalistic) I have that, a Wilson Haze, after the Wah and in front of 3 dirt pedals. Love it. I might go that route.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

The CC is one of the cleanest, most pristine sounding delays I've had (only had a few though, not a huge list). The naming is appropriate; it doesn't color the tone very much.

Shango66 likes this.
  16. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Holic

I use delay sparingly. The Carbon Copy has stayed on my board for years. I really like it. I would buy new though if you can't try a used one because some of the early units that I tried and returned had a faint high-pitched noise in them.

17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

You're like me: not much of a delay guy. Of all the delays I've tried, the Carbon Copy is by far the most useful and user-friendly. It doesn't have the off-putting mechanical sound of digital delays or the unpredictability of some analog pedals. The price is nice, too.

There's a little button on it that's totally inconsequential (other than makingf a cool blue light shine when you punch it). But the three knobs work well and are easy to get the hang of. Combining the Carbon Copy with a good reverb will give you more flavors of reverb than most players would ever need or want.

For a bit of slap or to pump up your reverb, it's all you need. And it will give you more extreme delay if you want it.

Also worth saying: it's quiet and won't color your sound.

So go for it! It's probably the ideal pedal for folks who only like using delay sparingly. And it's pretty safe to say that if you don't like the Carbon Copy, there just isn't a delay out there that you will like.

cb
    www.thefullertons.net
    ( •)—:::

Sent on my Way Huge Aqua-puss

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 Yup, too dark and murky is a great description of the CC, but I know that lots of people like it, so it just depends on what you are looking for. I settled for the BE. Does way more than what I need, but gives me the "real" delay that is in my head.

19. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

If you're not sure, grab a new Joyo Analog Delay for about $34; it's a Carbon Copy clone.

Aside from a tuner, OD and crunch pedal, a delay is a must on any pedalboard, IMHO.

My $.02. ;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well having three DD and one AD doesn't mean there's nothing you haven't found to like about delay yet. It took me a couple of years to hit on the thickening ambient sort of low mix short delay with several repeats sound.
    I've had an awful lot of ADs and they all sound different. Not many sound great to me, and if they don't sound great, I don't really want them on.

Good ADs are kind of expensive to build, and the CC is pretty cheap.
    I won't say the CC is bad, but it's not a delay to write home about. The warmth that some call murky is probably an attempt at faking worn tape tone- treble cut.

For a great AD see if you can audition a Maxon AD900.
    Maybe get some settings other players use for ambience to try out.
    The level is touchy where it doesn't overwhelm.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.