Car Trouble

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jul 3, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I've been expecting this car to break down given the high mileage. I'm just trying to do some cheap fixes to keep it running a couple of months. I plan on getting another Versa later this year cause I've had 2 and they both ran trouble-free for a long time.

2. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

It sounds like Versas are your vice....or vice Versa. :rolleyes:

Nightclub Dwight, sean79 and skunqesh like this.
  3. mojavedesert

mojavedesert TDPRI Member

Look under the oil cap, if it looks like a cappuccino froth, you have a blow head gasket. It would have not have a lot of compression. A higher speeds might see to run fine. Eventually it will overheat. Sorry to be the downer guy.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Did I miss where he had the codes read?

If not...it could be anything...literally.

Any number of sensors, cat, crank position sensor...anything. If the light flashed you're lucky you made it home. You're right, usually it indicates a spark failure and may have put you in "limp mode".

5. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I took the car to the parts store again and had a kid hook the tester up again so I could see for myself what it came up with.

Cylinder 4 was misfiring

It also had a O-Sensor fault.

6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. It's a Nissan Versa.

You are welcome. :D:p

7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Does it have a coil on plug?

Is the fix to replace a C.O.P. and spark plug?

Can you pull the sensor out and inspect and clean it?

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It is placed in there to discourage all but the most able home mechanic from doing anything but to take the car to (hopefully) an authorized dealer for repair.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

If you have an O sensor fault, the engine might not run right even after changing out a bad spark plug. I had a Chevy pickup that I let the plugs go too long before changing, the O sensor got confused, and I had to drive the pickup several miles after changing the plugs before it would run right. The problem eventually corrected itself. I didn't have to change the O sensor. I could easily have had to though. I know for sure when the O sensor is not working correctly, the engine would hardly run.

10. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Coil pack was my first thought.

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

If this thread has done one thing, it’s confirmed my belief that I’m doing the right thing leasing cars and letting the dealer worry about lights, warnings, maintenance, and even my Thursday car wash.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

That's the general idea among those who provide leasing. My daughter has been leasing for her last two, maybe three vehicles. She drives a company car most of the time, and only uses her own car on the weekends. They're saying they may break the cycle this time, but when it comes time, will probably cave and just get another lease car.

13. Toto'sDad

We drive very little, and bought new cars years ago. I just ran the numbers on my CRv, it's down to a cost of about 231 dollars a month. The wife's car is clear down to 110 dollars a month. These numbers are for the life of the cars. A lease makes sense for some, not for everyone. We paid cash for our vehicles, and did not incur any interest. I'm in hopes we never have to buy another car. If we do, we will pare down to one. Leasing at that time might make sense for us too. Since generally we have paid cash for our cars, a lease would allow us to keep the cash, and we could probably get a decent car for a pretty low monthly outlay. Kind of thinking as I wrote.

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My wife and I have two cars. The BMW is on a lease. It's my fourth BMW lease after four Volvo leases. You don't want to own a BMW a day after the warranty expires. I bought the SLK for my wife because it's not driven too much, 35,000 miles in 5 1/2 years. We've only had maintenance so far. We replaced the performance tires with all season tires because we don't race and all season tires are safer in the winter. So far so good. I'm looking forward to an end to car payments next March. That's the argument for purchasing. There comes a time when it's finally paid for. Now all I have to do is keep my wife from shopping for a replacement.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

BMW?

No thanx...

16. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Think I found the problem.

I took out the easy spark plug and the gap was about twice as much as it should be. The one next to it was about as bad. Maybe they just wore off but I have both replaced. I need to get a gasket set for the intake manifold then I'il replace the other two.

Torren61 likes this.
  17. guitarmojo

guitarmojo TDPRI Member

Just so you know, there's a lot of bad advice and misinformation in this thread. A bad plug might show up like yours did,but usually they wear at a "less than noticeable" pace. Sounds like you need plugs anyway, so no harm in changing them. But I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't help.

That said: Check Engine light does not mean your gas cap is loose. It means there is an issue in the engine management system. The gas cap is part of that system, so it could be the cap, but it could be a myriad of other problems as well. Getting codes scanned was good advice. But getting codes scanned is only the first step in diagnosis. Your #4 misfire could be a lot of different things: Blown head gasket, bad plugs, bad cam/valve train, etc.

My best advice is to take it to a mechanic you can trust and build a relationship with him/her.

Torren61, Piggy Stu and Stubee like this.
  18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

It's a good thought regarding the catalytic convertor. How old is the car? I had one go out in my band van. First event was going up a hill with the cruise control on, it kept shifting down then it kind of lurched and I pulled over. Ran real rough for a minute then I limped home. Then it ran for a week or two just around town but seemed a bit gutless. Finally my mechanic said it was the CC. Replaced and car was great after that.

This was at 130k miles. SO you may be well overdue. Not cheap either.

19. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

There is a reason why fuel filters are put in the tank, but it's not nearly that ridiculous.

20. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've changed a couple fuel pumps. Managing a full tank is the biggest problem. If you work with a fairly empty tank its better...especially if you have to drop the tank. Some cars have a plate under the back seat or trunk area to access it.

Stubee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.