Car Trouble

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jul 3, 2019.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Whew, when I opened this thread I thought the title was "cat trouble" (bad eyesight). And,when I started reading the post I thought the worst. (we live out in the boonies and cats get in the damndest places)

2. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

Get somebody to read the codes. A car parts store is fine, and they won't charge you - a lot of repair shops charge like $40, for the exact same thing. Write down what they find - numbers and description. Google it. Then you'll have a rough idea of whether it's something you can attempt by yourself. If you go to a shop for repair, show them the codes, and then check your bill to be sure they don't charge you for a scan, even though they will do one.

Fuel filter is the 1st thing to check. At lower speeds, the system is sucking more fuel, since the car is under load a lot of the time. The demand for fuel is lower at cruising speed. If your filter is clogged, is could show up that way. Also, if you let the tank get really empty, you could have sucked up more sludge into the filter.

MAP sensor, o2 sensor, and maybe a couple of other computery things. The code scan will tell you what to look at.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  3. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

The MAF Sensor looks easy to replace. I checked the air filter before this happened and bought one but I haven't put it in yet. Hope fully those two things will fix it. It's thunderstorming today so I may have to wait until tomorrow.

I may just go ahead and replace the spark plugs even though it's a major pain. I wanted to replace the radiator fluid and flush the radiator anyway. You have to drain the radiator to get all the stuff off to get to the plugs. There are no plug cables in this car like old style cars.

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Fuel is my guess. If there is a filter under the hood you are lucky, could be easy. But on today's cars other things effect delivery. They should have a switch to return the car to "old school mode" for emergencies. 12v>switch>ignition

5. swany

swany Tele-Meister

I'm guessing it's a catalytic converter. Have a shop look at it, they'll know in a few minutes.

Obsessed likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Beat me to it. Yup, my guess is catalytic converter or vacuum line leak. And yeah, just take it to a mechanic and they will sort it out within an hour.

7. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Also beats paying a tow truck probably over $200.00 to tow it.

8. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Nope. The cats have been very well behaved for the last week.

9. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I saw on YouTube that a flashing engine light means one of the cylinders is misfiring and could be a bad spark plug or coil. I'm going to take the car to a parts store and see what their gizmo says.

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Well, I just diagnosed my lake neighbor’s problem with his old runabout today correctly so I must be an expert (not). It would start right up and run perfectly out on the lake for awhile, then die and refuse to start. After sitting for 30-odd minutes it would start and go through the whole deal again. He thought fuel as he’s had a problem with water in gas before, but it sounded like coil to me and that was the fix.

Hard to say with yours and a coil usually won’t misbehave unless conditions are right. Fuel problems usually don’t occur just during a certain speed range and that’s why I’d guess ignition if I’m understanding the symptoms right. Spark plugs can also give erratic and rather mysterious symptoms.

Easy enough to replace the fuel filter as a start, then look at ignition?

11. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I have to look at how hard it would be to replace the fuel filter.

12. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I'll probably change the fuel filter cause it doesn't look too hard to change out.

13. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

If the check engine light is on, the computer under the hood is on its knees begging to tell you what it thinks is wrong.

There's zero reason to guess what might be wrong and replace a bunch of things that are probably just fine. It's not 1974 anymore.

14. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

time for a tune-up
    change the oil and oil filter
    change the plugs
    change the fuel filter

and then see what you have as far as problems

might be clogged injectors, how many miles on the car
    were the injectors ever changed?

15. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

having chased a few codes, it can be alot things from a vacuum hose gone bad to a bad module. the codes point you in a direction, but rarely are they 100 percent on the money.

sean79 likes this.
  16. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Could be clogged injectors. I use premium fuel and add injector cleaner to a full tank every few thousand miles. Have done this on all my cars that had fuel injection since 1988 and all's been well in that area so far...

17. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Get the code(s) read. It only takes a couple minutes. I’m guessing MAF, but that’s just a guess. Check to make sure your air intake system is intact.

18. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

True but surely you’d agree that the first step when you have a check engine light is to start with a code scan.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  19. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

I am a professional mechanic by trade. Fact: You stopped for gas. Immediately following this event your car started to run poorly. High probability you got contaminated gas (water in the fuel). This is very common if the gas station recently filled it's underground tanks. The new fuel pouring in stirs up the sediment on the bottom and it gets sucked up and deposited in peoples fuel tanks.
    There is an amazing product out there, called Sea Foam. They sell it at most auto parts stores in the Omaha area. Pour a can in to your fuel tank and drive around. The Sea Foam will dissipate the water from the tank, and your fuel filter and things should return to normal.

Milspec, Intubator and Stubee like this.
  20. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Sea Foam is amazing stuff. Burns better than the gas you put it in and does an excellent job de-gooping valve seats.

Intubator likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.