Car Trouble

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jul 3, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I was driving down the interstate in Omaha, Ne. tonight at 65 mph. I decided to get some gas and head home. All of a sudden I feel the car driving a little rough. It kept doing that until I hit the exit to get some gas. As I got off the exit the motor was really rough as I tried to get to the station and was going about 20 mph. I was thinking that maybe the tranny was going out.
    I got gas and headed out to get back on the interstate. It was hard going trying to go up the entrance to the interstate and I had to wave a driver behind me to pass me. I got off the interstate to get on a highway that wouldn't have much traffic and I could drive a little slower. I was just hoping to make it home (about 60 miles away).
    The speed limit is 60 but I managed to get up to 50 to an intersection where it would change to 70 mph. I got up to 60 and after that the car ran OK. I drove to the next town about 15 miles away and stopped at a Wal-Mart to get some stuff cause it looked like the car might make it home. I made it through the town and got back on the highway at 55mph. I had to go through 2 more towns but made it.
    The car just runs bad between 15 and 35 mph as you try to accelerate. Maybe something broke or got loose on the interstate (I'm hoping). I'm going to take it to a car parts place and see if they can hook one of those testers to it to see what the problem might be.
    The car is a 2013 Nissan Versa and has over 220,000 miles on it. I'm going to buy another Versa about the same year with lower miles in a couple of months but I'd like to drive this again until then.

Any ideas about what might be wrong with the car?

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Without hearing it, my first thought is a clogged fuel filter.
    There is one in the tank connected to the fuel pump and one somewhere between the tank and the engine.
    This is very generic advice not necessarily specific to that model.
    The situation can be brought on by low fuel level, causes the pump to suck up garbage from the bottom of the tank.

3. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

whole list of things it could be, but I'm betting the transmission isn't one of them.

It sounds like either fuel delivery, or adequate spark is a problem

any check engine lights coming on?
    even a bad O2 sensor could be the culprit (with over 200K miles, it would be insighful to know what work has or hasn't been done).

4. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

This car has a weird pic of an engine on the dash that lights up. The manual just says that there's a problem with the gas cap if it comes on. This time it flashed on and off as I drove then went on steady.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  5. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I'm hoping it's a fuel delivery problem. It may need new spark plugs though. This sucker is a bear to replace spark plugs in.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think it might be the o2 censor too. Happened to my pickup but was mostly an issue while pulling up at the stoplights. The engine would die on slow idle. Then run rough now and then under acceleration. You can apparently blow them out with compressed air to fix the issue.

If it's not that you may have a bad sparkplug or cable, dirty air filter or blocked fuel filter.
    Newer cars also play up in random different ways if the battery is on its way out.

While you are at the auto store buy a bottle of injector cleaner and add it to the tank next time you fill up.

8barlouie likes this.
  7. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe you have one of these issues...

[​IMG]

skunqesh, Bassman8, P Thought and 7 others like this.
  8. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sounds like you bought some bad fuel.

9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

As a wise mechanic once said to me of a rattle in my motor.

1 it could get worse
    2 it could get better
    3 it could stay the same.

I would bet either you had water in your fuel, and/or your filters are backed up. The check engine light coming on indicates the car throwing codes on O2 sensor, fuel pressure (blocked or split filter).

If you run regular could be clogged injectors.

If it's water (as someone noted from running low) it will evaporate eventually.

Modern cars should not be run much less than a quarter tank, gives the fuel pump a hard time because being immersed cools it and it works very hard.

Next time it happens try undoing the fuel cap and see if it goes away. There's a filtered breather system for the tank in modern cars to stop fuel evaporation that can block and create a vacuum as fuel goes lower. Causing issues similar to starvation and throws CEL - some cars it's a service item to replace carbon cannisters every so many miles or years.

RoyBGood likes this.
  10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

If your check engine light is on, pretty much any auto parts store or repair shop will scan the code for you and give you an idea of what you arw up against. Or for like 25 bucks, you can buy a scanner and check it yourself.

geoff_in_nc and 8barlouie like this.
  11. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I'm gonna guess either ignition issue such as the coil...

Or even a vacuum leak from s cracked line/hose or gasket.

LPBlue likes this.
  12. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

That IS your check engine light. Something went south while you were driving and the vehicles computer stored a trouble code in its computer. If you get it scanned it should pinpoint the cause of it running rough.

13. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m betting it’s part of your fuel management system. Mostly likely the O2 sensor. If it were bad gas, you would experience the rough running at all engine speeds. The problem with reading the error code is that they are notoriously vague about what the actual culprit is. You may get a code that something in the system chain failed, but it’s hit and miss which specific part causes it. The usual course of action is start replacing the parts in the chain, beginning with the cheapest part and working toward the most expensive.

Then again, at this point, it’s just a guess.

14. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I'm going to guess that the gas cap didn't seal properly when you gassed up. Take the cap off, and check for dirt on the o ring. Put the cap back on and screw it in till it clicks 3 times.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Taking your car to a parts store to be diagnosed is akin to going to the veterinarian because you are sick.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I had the coil pack fail on my car recently. The behavior was similar but worse, like either the transmission or engine were dying.

On other cars, I've also had fuel filter problems and EVAP system issues that caused power loss problem, sometimes intermittently.

Fretting out likes this.
  17. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Doesn’t sound like a tranny. Tranny problems don’t cause the engine to run rough. Fuel filter or pump could be an issuee, maybe a clogged injector. Could be plugs, maybe a coil pack.

Glad you made it home. Broken down at home beats stranded in NE any day.

LPBlue and nojazzhere like this.
  18. Intubator

Intubator TDPRI Member

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    usually when something like that happens suddenly, its a vacuum hose or some sensor connector that has become unattached as previously stated. However, I do have a car that every 30,000 miles or so will suddenly run rough when the MAF sensor becomes dirty ( and you can't really tell by looking at it) and the symptoms are what you describe. If you decide to try to clean yours, CRC makes a special MAF cleaner for that purpose, don't use any other solvent like carb or brake cleaner. Also, if your mechanic says to replace it try cleaning it first and save yourself alot of money... Bad gas may very well be the culprit too.

Milspec and tarheelbob like this.
  19. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

There is absolutely no way to do anything more than guess what the problem is unless you have the car scanned and I would spend the money and have it done at a reputable shop, not the parts store.

You’ll spend much more money changing any parts that could be causing the problem. The beauty of automotive technology today on advanced electronic systems is that the car tells you what’s wrong with it.

Fretting out and Piggy Stu like this.
  20. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

As intubator said, my guess is the mass airflow sensor (MAF). When it gets faulty, it mimics the same fuel pick up type symptoms you have described.

Quick fix, can be done yourself (or at a car parts store), and not expensive. Hopefully it is something simple like that.

- Bob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.