Car Muffler Came Loose

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Oct 17, 2019.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Could be a plugged catalytic converter (which will cost some cash). Or a simple hanger let loose. Or the ox sensor rusted out. Get it checked out, ask for them to show it to you while it's on the hoist and either swap it yourself later or have them do it while the car is already up in the air. Most often, chassis and muffler problems ... just pay the guy at the garage with the tools to do the work. Crawling around under the car bending rusty nuts are no fun for the shade tree mechanic.

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Just bite the bullet and pay for a new exhaust system. Apparently it's going to come to that anyway. Sorry.

jimash and Milspec like this.
  3. FLHT

FLHT TDPRI Member

"I continued driving and the engine sounded louder and the pick up was struggling a bit"

That sounds like more than just a broken hanger to me.

4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

If there is a break in the pipe it loses back pressure and that will cause the motor to struggle a little. That can just be a failed clamp as anything else. I think the louder sound indicates a definite break in the pipe before the muffler. If there are no check engine lights illuminated, the break is after the oxygen sensor as well. In the end, the pipe likely is rotted out, so new exhaust from converter back is likely.

Sudden failures that provide no warnings really suck. My brake line happened out of the blue just leaving the driveway and has left the vechile stranded in the driveway until I have time this weekend to fix it. Exhaust systems are not a DIY affair either, so just pay the shop to get it done and be back on the road.

stevemc and jannodude like this.
  5. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

So with all these scenarios, what is the price range I’m looking at? Let’s say the worst case of replacing the whole exhaust system...are we talking hundreds or thousands here?

6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

In my neck of the woods, it is a $300 - $350 cost to replace the exhaust system. In NJ, it might be double like everything else seems to be.

tele-rain likes this.
  7. tele-rain

Ha!! Yep that sounds about right for Jersey. I’m not “from” Jersey, for whatever that’s worth...I was born & bred in Brooklyn. But yeah, the whole Tri-State area certainly lives up to its pricey rep on all levels (except my paycheck).

I just want an idea of how to gauge. I’m hoping whatever it is is minor enough to take care of right away, but if not, it’ll be drive-able enough for me to be able to take some time and see what my options are.

8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Any exhaust shop will be able to take care of it same day, they bend their own pipes and don't have to order anything. With luck, it might just need a new hanger and a straight pipe...out the door in an hour for $100.

tele-rain likes this.
  9. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My experience also.
    I would say that for my vehicles the original exhaust systems lasted about 7 years, the jobbers replacement lasts 1 year and even though the "muffler" is guaranteed its all the connecting pipes that fail so you have to pay a second time a year after.
    Also on my 1983 Subaru the jobbers muffler wasnt quite as the original so they cut a pipe with a torch to fit it and 2 weeks later the catalytic converter fell in the street because of overheated pipe.
    From now on i only go with original and its not that much more expensive
    Hopefully its just a nicknack that can be easily fixed.
    Also i have seen some muffler held by a piece of rubber soi they do move naturally

tele-rain likes this.
  10. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

FWIW, a new exhaust if you need it is probably not that expensive. I just had my entire 40 year old exhaust system on my International completely replaced for $550 USD. That included new piping, gaskets, muffler and cat converter. The shop field bent all the tubing in house.

tele-rain likes this.
  11. tele-rain

Well time will tell now!! I dropped her off this morning and made my way to work via the train. The guy said he will call when they get to looking at it. Fingers crossed!

12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

My lovely bride was born on Long Island, spent a couple of years in Upstate NY, and then settled in Central NJ for her teen years, so she knows about the whole Tri-State price thingie. I'm from the South and had no idea there was a pretty part of NJ until I visited her town and the surrounding area. We were married in Westfield, in the shadow of the Wachung Mountains and then she came south with me.

Bob

tele-rain likes this.
  13. tele-rain

The guy just called and said I need a new muffler, they’re gonna get the part and do it all today and call me later. The cost due all will be $356.00. Im happy that it’s less than $500!

stevemc and Milspec like this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just for comparison, I just replaced the entire exhaust of my 2002 F150 for $300 out the door.

And for all the “I’ll only buy imports” people , the exhaust it replaced was 17 years old…

(drops wrench/walks away...)

stevemc, tele-rain and Chunkocaster like this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's probably for two pipes too and both twice the diameter of the honda civics.:)

Mike Eskimo and tele-rain like this.
  16. tele-rain

You know what...now I am thinking back. For a few months I have noticed a slight sound on and off underneath my seat while driving. It sounded like something lightly tapping the seat, like a small can of something rolling around on the floor under the seat and gently tapping the railings every so often. I tried to look a few times and saw nothing, and it wasn’t all that often. Now I’m wondering if it was the muffler and pipes starting to come loose?! Does that sound logical? I’ll have to see if I still notice it now with the new muffler.

dented likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It could be, they usually have a hole develop in them rather than fall off the mount.
    You hear a louder exhaust sound when accelerating or under load then it will sound like a tank. The modern cars usually have the catalytic converter crap out before the muffler or pipe goes. Your car exhaust starts to stink more before you hear a change in the sound of the exhaust.

tele-rain likes this.
  18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

When the exhaust system rotted off my TR7 (German road salts), I replace it from manifold to tailpipe for about $200. That was ordering the parts from Blighty and having them sent to a Leyland dealer in Stuttgart, where I picked them up. I installed them myself at the post "hobby" shop.

19. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Consider yourself lucky that you are repairing it before deep snow doo doo also. Hope all works well for you.

tele-rain likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.