Car Muffler Came Loose

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Oct 17, 2019.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I was just driving home from work, no issues that I can recall...stopped at a red light. As soon as the light changed and I started to go, I heard a slight bang on my back passenger side, I thought for a minute someone rear ended me but there was no impact and no one close enough behind to have tapped me. I continued driving and the engine sounded louder and the pick up was was struggling a bit. I pulled into a parking lot and went to the back, and it seems like my exhaust pipe was loose. I gently touched it and it swayed side to side, so it seems like the muffler is loose.

Got home and did some googling and of course, there are a myriad of issues that could be the case. I’m going to see if I can bring it in tomorrow morning to my mechanic, but would just like some guesses at what I could be looking at here.

The car is a 2011 Honda Civic, with 42k-ish miles. I’ve kept up with oil changes, fluids, and they’ve done some maintenance over the years like brake pads, and tire pressure gauge. I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a big ordeal!

2. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 TDPRI Member

If everything is there, sounds like an exhaust hanger has let go. The bang would have been the tail pipe or muffler hitting the undercarriage of the Civic.

It may be a simple as replacing an inexpensive hanger. As long as no damage was done to exhaust system, the repair will be very budget friendly.
    Good luck!

geoff_in_nc, Stubee, Milspec and 4 others like this.
  3. tele-rain

Thanks, I sure hope so too! It looks like everything is intact, but it’s dark outside and I’m not really sure what I’m looking at. I’m definitely not going to get underneath there, but it wasn’t hanging on the ground like I’ve seen in the movies.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Yup, most likely and it happens to most vehicles eventually. Might need to replace some gaskets up the chain and the mechanic might recommend that anyway, just to make sure. Most of this is fairly straightforward, but old exhaust system bolts and nuts get very corroded, so expect some extra labor time.

tele-rain likes this.
  5. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Ayup... My 1990 Volvo 240 started having issues with exhaust leaks here and there, and I ran into this. One bolt out of the 3 that hold the downpipe onto the header just twisted right off. Drilling that out and replacing with a high-temp bolt was NOT a fun task. Then, the downpipe decided to crack right at the 'elbow'. A good wrapping with FiberFix did the trick until it didn't, and the crack turned into a full-fledged break. "No problem" thought I as I ordered a new downpipe, "I already conquered the header flange, I'll just disconnect this whole thing from the catalytic converter and replace it.", not knowing that the bolts that held the other end of the downpipe to the catalytic converter had become inextricably one with the connecting flange. PB Blaster and Kroil wouldn't touch it. One frustrated weekend and another exhaust part order later, and half of my exhaust system is brand-new. I tried to get a bit of money for the old catalytic converter, but it was burned out completely. Totally hollow. I didn't know that could happen. Now I do.

TL;DR - Obsessed said it, and I've now experienced it. Unless your vehicle is fairly new and the bolts still operational, count on extra labor and possibly extra parts as the old parts may not be in re-usable condition. At all. New gaskets should be the least of it.

Obsessed and tele-rain like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Everything is expensive here but repairing an exhaust system with your symptoms wouldn't cost much.

7. tele-rain

Yikes, that’s a whole lotta tech talk! I will be at the mercy of the mechanic, and I guess this is the time to see if they’re honest guys. When I first moved here and needed an oil changes, the reviews for the place were all glowing. And I’ve seen lots of similarly glowing reviews on a local town FB page, so I think I can feel confident on that end at least!

8. tele-rain

i clicked on your name and hit ignore by mistake...Sorry!!! I’m on my phone and I guess my thumb is too large.

Anyway, thank you!! I sure hope so, it sounds simple as there wasn’t any issue before hearing that noise.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 TDPRI Member

In all honesty, you might not even need a full service garage. If your area has a Muffler Or Exhaust shop, it may be all you need.

Most Muffler shops will inspect your car and provide an estimate at no charge. Hoping that you’ll do business with them.

Maybe the garage you’re dealing with will do the same? In any event you can always get a second opinion if needed.

Good luck!

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Good luck @tele-rain , the sooner you get it in the shop the better to reduce more damage that could possibly cost much more.

fendertx likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you know someone that can weld you could probably get it fixed up for free.
    It could also just be that a bolt has come undone on the hanger.
    If you take it in somewhere take it to a place that fabricates exhaust systems on the spot rather than just replaces with factory or pre fabricated parts.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  12. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Meister

Hi.
    Although the age and mileage seems a little low for this, you do live in Jersey, and if the areas you drive in are anything like the rest of the area from roughly the Mason Dixon line north, they have been brining the roads every winter for a few years now with a solution that makes the old rust belt causing rock salt look mild by comparison. Its causing us big problems. It leaves a corrosive film on the underside of your car that "re-activates" repeatedly every time it gets wet.
    Based on my experience, (which fwiw is substantial, over four decades as a master mechanic servicing and repairing most all makes and models.) the most likely cause is in the area of the connection or joint at the muffler inlet area.
    Most likely, a proper repair will require the mid section and rear section to be replaced. Probably from the catalyst back. Not a huge deal.

Suggestion 1:
    Take it to a reputable shop where they can lift the car up for a good inspection. Let them know you'd like to have a look at whats going on and at the same time, have them show you why they are recommending whatever they suggest as a repair.
    Be friendly, not demanding. You have every right and reason to suggest this. And any shop that doesnt cooperate with that is one you shouldnt do business with.

Suggestion 2:
    Original equipment parts will of course be a more expensive repair than aftermarket. But in my experience, most of the aftermarket parts will have a lifespan of about half the original equipment, despite all warranties and promises.
    If you plan to keep the Civic long enough to justify it, spend the extra money. Otherwise, the economy price is the right choice.

Obsessed likes this.
  13. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I've had 10 civics and loved them. Never had one that you could just replace the muffler, because the pipe always rusts.
    Prepare yourself.

MarkieMark likes this.
  14. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

While I've known plenty girl gear-heads, I know better than to assume, which is why I put the "TL;DR" in there as a summary. Glad you could find an honest mechanic.

I second this motion. Your mechanic may even send you their way anyways.

15. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Avoid dealers and franchise shops ... Locally owned shops will likely treat you more ... Honestly . .. Do a little research for your area ... Ask around and google .. Best of luck !!!

P Thought and Milspec like this.
  16. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

If you get stuck and can't get to it right away....get your Saturday clean the basement clothes on and use one of these to secure it to something. Preferably not the drive shaft. :rolleyes: shutterstock_107685965-615px_330.jpg ooops Honda car.....lol

17. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Any chance that pipe is rusted through from salted roads in winter months?

Ironwolf and jimash like this.
  18. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    See if you can take a wire coat hanger or similar and use it to temporarily support the end that's hanging, maybe from the original mount point of the broken hanger. There's a lot of weight suddenly being supported by all those connections on the exhaust system that aren't used to that kind of force, and its magnified every time you hit a bump of some sort.

19. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Given where you live, the odds are pretty good that the exhaust system is a mas of corrosion from one end to the other.

20. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

There is "fixing" and there is "correcting" the problem. Yes, a hanger does corrode badly and will break away in time, but so does the exhaust. If one is that corroded, the other will likely be as well. Fixing it might just take a new hanger, but correcting it will likely take new parts from the converter back. If you choose the fix route, expect there to be more problems in short time.

The good news is that the expensive parts of the exhaust are the catalytic converter(s) and the oxygen sensors, everything else is peanuts. As long as those 2 items are good, I would just replace all of the exhaust from the converter back, you will be better off in the long run.

I just had a brake line fail on my work van and I could just replace the single line that is damaged, but the lines next to it are also badly rusted. Do it now or do it later....at least now I am not doing 75 mph without brakes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.