CAR Jaguar refinish.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by KelvinS1965, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I'm with you. Most of the time I don't like a matching headstock. Especially on Strats. However, with a jaguar exceptions can be made. Here's my surf green one I build earlier this year. But it has to be the right person and the right color.

Attached Files:

whoanelly15 and KelvinS1965 like this.
  2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

Funny you should say that; I've just been doing exactly that as I removed the masking and checked the thimbles...slightly rough around the base, but as I said not really visible once the bridge is back on. Cleaned round the sides with a scalpel, then put fresh masking on them and the neck slot. Gave the front a light rub down to remove a few little bits on the surface, then ready for clear coat. I'd do it tonight, but I'm off to college rock school class; I've been playing since the early 70s, but still find things to learn and it's an excuse to play in a band situation. :)

3. KelvinS1965

Got the clear coats on, not without a few problems as my main spray gun started playing up, so I ended up finishing the clear coats with my small 'touch up' spray gun. It actually worked well, but for some reason gives more 'dry spray' on the edges, so I've had to wet sand the sides to a gloss, which I didn't have to do with the Strat, using the bigger spray gun.

Main thing is that it's done, but just needs to hang and harden off more: I wet sanded the sides because I'd put double coats on for plenty of paint depth, but also because it was bugging me as I remember seeing the sides looking absolutely gleaming while spraying them. Once I'd sprayed the back and the front the dry spray had turned them dull.

I'll take photos tomorrow, but nothing much to show really. At least this lacquer seems to harden quickly as I polished the neck on my Strat and Tele projects within a week of spraying them and they are both still perfect, so no 'sinking' occurred afterwards like I'd had with some nitro if I polish too soon after spraying.

I still haven't sprayed the head stock face, added gold parts or binding. ;)

EDIT: Not very clear, but the edge looked dull due to dry/over spray:

Clear coat edge (2).png

After P1000, P2000 and a DA polish with medium Menzerna polish. Shame the photo compression seems to do something odd to the highlights, but it looks pretty clear in person:
    Clear coat edge (4).png

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 5:18 PM
  4. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Wow good job on the finish. Have to chime in a say I'm also not a fan of painted headstocks on Fenders. Fine on other guitars. No reason just an aesthetic thing.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

That looks great, really nice work!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  6. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Is there a reason for the gold under the red other than that’s how fender used to do it?

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  7. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

Chick magnet!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  8. KelvinS1965

The red is transparent, so the gold shows through and gives a sort of iridescent effect under bright light. Some CAR have silver as the base coat (earlier models I believe), I already had the gold so I just used that for this finish.

9. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

My Chrome red is a silver base, easy to see from chips around the strap button.

scelestus, Fendereedo and KelvinS1965 like this.
  10. KelvinS1965

I wet sanded the back and buffed with medium Menzeran polish, the front was smoother from the gun, so that just needed buffing. I will let it harden a bit more and give it another buff before re-assembling it. I gave the fingerboard another treatment with the Monty's Montypresso wax which gives it a really smooth feel.

Just placed the (Parchment) 'guard and bridge on for this photo:
    Mock up (2).png

If anyone suggests I should fit a 'tort' guard, then they can go and stand with the painted headstock fans where I can't see them. ;)

greenhornet, Matthias, AAT65 and 2 others like this.
  11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

Looks a beauty, nice work.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The one original CAR L-series Jaguar I know about in the wild came with a white guard.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  13. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Looking good... on CAR (one of the great finishes!) I wouldn’t push for tort — but I’d have probably done the matching headstock and then worried about the logo after. Great work though.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Nah, tort’s for vintage white and LPB. This ‘un needs pearl Mother of Toilet Seat!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  15. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If it was a Jazzmaster I'd insist on tort; on a Jag the white's the ticket.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  16. KelvinS1965

When I was searching for pictures on line for inspiration, that's what I came across. It was a 1965 model too, which would be a birth year guitar for me, so this is about as close as I'll get to that. :)

As for the Mother of toliet seat suggestion; go and join the painted head stock and Tort guys in the corner and be ashamed of yourselves. ;)

AAT65 and Jupiter like this.
  17. KelvinS1965

Gave it a final buff and refitted the trem plate today. The paint is nicely hardened already, but I'll leave it in a warm garage for a few days before re-assembling it.

I also painted the cavities with conductive paint:

Trem fitted (1).png

Trem fitted (2).png

18. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Fantastic!!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  19. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I think the chrome is more of a straight silver with less of a flake to it than a metallic. Dunno, but I like it along with all the variants!

Edit: Also,my limited understanding is that CAR is silver or gold metallic under trans red, Chrome Red is over more of a silver ("chrome"?) with less flake, and Candy Cola is over a copper metallic base. All beautiful.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  20. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Beautiful! I love CAR. Yours just glows!

I had a CIJ Fender Jaguar a while back in CAR and went with a white pearl pickguard on it. I really liked that combo as the silver in the pearl guard accented the chrome parts.

IMG_0251.JPG

KelvinS1965 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.