Capo not loving my Highway one Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Craig Williams, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

I use a capo a bit and having issues with my US Strat. The intonation isn't perfect but pretty close and normally plays well without a capo. I usually capo up 2nd or 3rd fret and the low E string sounds a fair bit out of tune. Have tried putting it in all different positions, up close the the last fret, back towards the rear fret.....on a slant etc. It's a good quality capo too and I tried my friends also still pretty much the same thing. I had a look to make sure the capo wasn't pulling the E string sideways or something looks ok. The frets aren't 100% but they're not bad and its doing it in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd fret positions. I have had this issue before with some electric guitars where they just don't seem to capo well. Is there anything I am missing or something I can try?

Boreas likes this.
  2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

The higher the action , the more likely the capo will pull the tuning sharp since most payers clamp the strings tight against the fretboard. Bad added Hotel California last fall and I play the intro 12 string parts. Capo at the 7th fret can really go out so I started placing the capo on the fret with much closer tuning results. It takes a couple stabs to set it right, but then I hit the sweet spot and all is well with the world. YMMV

Marblatx and Jim622 like this.
  3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes there is.
    Always RETUNE after installing a capo like everyone does. ;)

4. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

Try a different capo. I use Shubb capos, the one with the roller wheel makes my low E go sharp but the one with the Delrin plastic point works just fine. Go figure…

5. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

The trick for me is to pull/stretch the strings after I put the capo on. The rubber of the capo is grabbing the strings a bit when you put it on, and so giving each of them a moderate tug once the capo is on helps to pull them back into tune.

To each his own, but I would not suggest tuning with the capo on.

6. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+1 on da Shubb!

bblumentritt likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

Excessive string height at the nut can contribute to tuning issues with a capo - especially with the first five frets or so.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  8. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

I have and like Shubbs - but they're offered in different radiuses to suit different fingerboards. So, if you have a problem with a specific guitar - make sure that the fingerboard and capo radius are compatible.

9. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Re-tune your guitar after capoing, like everyone else does who wants to play in tune! :)

10. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Rub-a-dub-dub
    My Fenders like Shubb
    image.jpg

Tjeppen, garrett and brookdalebill like this.
  11. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

12. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

Shubb Capo, and then adjust the tension of the capo. It doesn't need to be hard against the neck, just hold the strings against the fret, I aim for the loosest fit without a buzz.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

D’Addario’s newer capos are really great, IMO.
    Joining the “tune after placing the capo” chorus, too.
    Lastly, make sure your capo is firmly anchored directly behind the fret.

Edgebound, 4pickupguy and Nick Fanis like this.
  14. Craig Williams

I don't know if this would really work for me in a live situation as I am constantly moving the capo around nearly every song. I don't find it happens on any of my other guitars and this one definitely vintage style frets and my action already low at the nut and up the fretboard. Have taken away a few lessons from this though as I always thought the more tension the capo has the better, but thinking about it I guess that isn't right. I might try and find a Shubb one or something like it. Going to double check the intonation tomorrow and make it as accurate as I can and try the Capo on the actual fret instead of behind it. Not sure how much room I will have for fat fingers up around the fifth, 6th in chord positions near the nut but will experiment.

15. Craig Williams

One thing I thought of why this guitar may be effected more than others, and I don't know why but normally this Riviera is such a joy to play as the strings seem to be so low tension. Not the strings themselves (10-46 elixirs) but just the general playability of the guitar is effortless. I don't know why it would be that way but it does seem like it has very low string tension. I had another one was exactly the same. Soooooooo, if it was low string tension I am guessing it would be more susceptable to the pull of a capo. Again not sure if there is anything about this guitar that makes it low tension (scale length?), but it seems to be that way. Maybe someone knows. Its a bog standard Chinese made Epi Riviera. Be a bit of fun experimenting tomorrow and will be looking for a new capo tonight

16. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

I have two (no wait, make that 3 since I have a p93) Rivieras, and agree on the loose feel. I think part of it is the tailpiece and lack of stop tail. I can also see how some people would not like it, but I do.

But slots that are too high will often throw off the first few frets, even if it is in proper intonation. The trouble is that it is easy to file it too low, then you have buzz and have to start again.

The instructions in post #17 here will help if you do it by yourself, if you take it to a tech, let them know your issues and they should be able to do it for you.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/nut-slot-depth.1058175/

17. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Most people don't realize that you do have to retune after putting the capo on the guitar. And again when removing it.

18. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

If you are capoing every song, tune your guitar with capo at 3 or so, then it should be closer except when you go no-capo.
    Shubbs do work better for tungin, but they are not as quick to move around - as your guitar neck gets thicker towards the bridge, the Shubb tension needs to be rolled off.

19. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

Tempered capo. I have a D’Addario one that has a screw spring to adjust the tension. Is your highway one the post 2006 version? If so, those frets are like bass frets and you definitely need a tempered capo. Otherwise, too much pressure will not give you the correct intonation when capo is fretted.

20. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Shubb. I've never had to retune as a result of the capo if the tension is set just right (which may require minute adjustment if you're using it up and down the fretboard in the same set).

I've heard good things about the G7th one too, but haven't had a chance to try one.

bblumentritt and garrett like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.