Capo confusion- but I'm not alone!

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by richiek65, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Perhaps one aspect to consider when using a capo is that nothing changes except for the ‘open string’ notes. ????

P Thought, dkmw, JL_LI and 1 other person like this.
  2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

The most important element to playing well is repetition and familiarity, not thought process ... if you have to stop and think, the song has passed you by.

If you don't have a "Classical" guitar ... nylon string ... think about getting a cheap one at a yard sale or thrift/pawn shop. They have no fret markers. The neck is just frets, no inlays, no dots. Practicing on a Classical guitar makes your muscle memory and hand/eye familiarity transcend fret markers.

richiek65 likes this.
  3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

The fret markers actually help me when using a capo. Once you get a root note reference, they're just frets like any others. But I could definitely see how learning to play without them could help in a lot of other ways, too. Not having to look at the fretboard while soloing would be a nice skill to have, with our without a capo. Not sure I will ever get to that point, though. It's one thing to play open chords without looking (necessary for singing with a mic). It's quite another to be able to move around the neck more than just a few frets at a time without looking.

4. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN TDPRI Member

"Piggies" by the Beatles, capo on 7th fret. Anywhere else would be uncivilized.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

fyi
    Kyser has a capo app

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah it can happen in my brain also with a capo on. If I start moving up to barre chords etc I get confused sometimes. Not often though.

7. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I use a capo a lot, when playing slide. It's quicker and easier on the neck, than retuning, say, from G to A. I can cover my mistakes a bit, by sliding up or down to the proper spot....but mainly I have to be more careful, because of the lower action.

8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

When you play fretless bass or stand-up bass, you have a few visual cues, but it's mostly a posture, angle-of-the arm kind of thing. You know from practice and familiarity where the notes are. Frets make it easier to play in tune, but you still should have a physical reference for the location of the notes like an upright bass player has.

Consider Jose Feliciano. I think it's a useful skill ... a "feel-only", sightless ability to navigate the neck.

Whatizitman likes this.
  9. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

On the rare occasions that I use a capo, I’m typically playing chords close to the capo. Otherwise why use it at all? Granted, there are a few tunes where I’ll use the capo in other ways, but these are the exception, not the rule.

10. jackleg

jackleg Tele-Meister

work through it, it is worth it... an acoustic sounds so much better, to me, with a capo.....

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  11. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This. Until this thread, I never thought about getting confuzled. The notes above the capo don’t change, and you can’t use the ones below. I’m going to try and keep it that way in my simple guitar mind.

JL_LI and Wally like this.
  12. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I started on piano and think about the fretboard similarly to a piano's keyboard except I have sometimes have 3-4 different places I can play the same note. My other instrument before starting guitar at 13 is alto saxophone, so transposition isn't much of an issue. Though my ability to sight read for guitar has never been great, I always know the notes I am playing on a guitar. I occasionally use a Shubb capo and adjust my open chords to where the capo is. I don't really reference the fretboard dots much whether there is a capo or not.

13. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

I was in a bluegrass jam years ago, where guitar players and banjo players spend a lot of time playing above a capo at the second fret. My friend called a song in G. Someone asked "G, or G above the capo?" He answered "absolute value G". :)

richiek65 and Wally like this.
  14. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Capo confusion? Check this out...

15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I use a capo a fair amount for different applications- like playing some of my fave Dylan songs ( dropped D+capo) or say when playing duo gigs or bluegrass ( when there may be 2-3 guitars)

But I also love how some simple first position 'Cowboy chord' progressions ( John Prine songs) just come to life with a capo just on the 2nd fret, like playing in G ( pitch is A) or playing in C ( pitch D)
    Whatever! Love a capo

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.