capiz shell too thin for inlay?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by cleanheadsteve, Aug 21, 2019.

1. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

so i bought a set of 4 placemats at a fleamarket for $20. i figured i could use them for inlay material. well as i start cutting them up, i notice the actual shell portions are overlaying each other and are as thin as onion skin.
    the mat is backed by cork, and the front is a sheet of clear plastic. i've tried a few things to get this into a more usable form such as trying to glue the pieces to the plastic front, trying to wick thin ca over, under, and between the thin pieces of shell.
    not really having great luck with any of these methods. tonight, i'm going to cut out my design with scissors and wick in ca as i go. if i dont immediately bond the slices, they come apart and fly all over the place and break and crunch, etc.
    and yes i am wearing a respirator during all of this.
    anybody got any good ideas how to use this?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

2. cleanheadsteve

i'll post some better pics or short video later this evening. (after the wasps go to sleep). to better illustrate my dillema

3. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

I don't know whether this would be desirable to you, but what if you were to set some clear epoxy on top of it to get more thickness? At least then you would see through to the material and it would be usable. I wonder how the inside edges would look though - might be cool?

4. cleanheadsteve

yes. a good idea. got to encapsulate it somehow to keep it from falling apart.

5. cleanheadsteve

ok. plan b it is. i'll figure out this pearl mess and use it on another build. maybe just peel it all apart and let the scraps fall onto clear tape and then tape over the top.
    but for now, gonna cut letters out of maple and inlay that into the walnut. should be good enough.
    [​IMG]

6. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Go down to the rivers near you, and look for clam shells. The Tennessee River and tributaries are where the mother of pearl they use to seed cultured pearls comes from. I used Harpeth River mussel shells as inlays a very long time ago in a piece of wood jewelry. Just keep it wet when you cut it, because the dust is hazardous to your health.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.