Capacitors......

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by chazo64, Oct 17, 2021.

1. chazo64

chazo64 Tele-Meister

We all use em and love em...but what are your favorites and in what posistion in a circuit. I mean you dont want to use some 400$ paper in oils in the voltage input stage of a fuzz pedal....or do you. What warrents a box film or a ceramic I have a A LOT of Caps so I often wonder other than the specs of min /max, I get all that but.... is there more????

dukewellington likes this.
  2. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I usually don't use ceramic caps in the signal path if possible, but they're guitar pedals, not hifi gear. With my beat up hearing though, I probably wouldn't notice much difference!

chazo64 likes this.
  3. chazo64

chazo64 Tele-Meister

I have noticed big difference using some caps and rairly use cerms. exept when I must but its all been work trial and error.

4. chazo64

chazo64 Tele-Meister

just got some nice caps from the ukrain today

5. dukewellington

dukewellington Tele-Meister

Who’d you buy them from? I ordered from three sellers last year, all of the packages ended up “lost.”

I have a chart around here somewhere with the Cyrillic codes explained in English. They made bomb proof stuff by the cart load same as we did.

chazo64 likes this.
  6. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

I don't want to use paper-in-oil in anything--its dated technology and nothing about that dated technology makes whatever its in sound better. In fact I laugh whenever I read that somebody ordered paper-in-oil for their new partscaster.

Ronzo likes this.
  7. chazo64

chazo64 Tele-Meister

I got em off ebay sometimes you lose sometimes you win this year I recieved some bomb stuff from the east block and France I recived a dozen really nice germaniums from france one of the fuzz pedals i built from them I call ""LE FUZZ" I just got fifty very nice East block germainium transistors that are mostly very usable for pedals.

8. chazo64

chazo64 Tele-Meister

20211019_110816.jpg

zippofan likes this.
  9. chazo64

chazo64 Tele-Meister

20211019_110851.jpg 20211019_110928.jpg

zippofan likes this.
  10. chazo64

chazo64 Tele-Meister

20211019_110952.jpg I am very into building stuff

zippofan likes this.
  11. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Paper-in-oil caps in a guitar tone circuit is, IMO and IME, a huge waste of money and time.

When I rewired my LP copy to ‘58–‘59 Burst specs, I found no difference in the sound compared to Sprague and even less expensive (and readily available) Nichisen caps of the same value. Out they came, and were sold to someone who thought they would make a difference.

After installing high-quality CTS pots and the Nichisen film caps, the SINGLE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE in the sound was the installation of the huge 12-14 gauge buss wire ground between the four pots in the circuit. The difference was marked, positive, and readily noticed by other guitarist friends. I thought it might be Placebo Effect if I was the only one that heard it, but it was noticeable to other players who hadn’t heard it in the time between my swapping the pickups and pots/caps and when I rewired to that grounding scheme.

https://www.singlecoil.com/docs/paula.pdf

guitar_paul1 and chazo64 like this.
  12. chazo64

chazo64 Tele-Meister

I agree I see some cap prices that are nuts . I have notice the diference between some of the stock caps and cheep pots on some import guitars but its hard to improve on the classic stuff .

13. chazo64

chazo64 Tele-Meister

Most of the stuff I build are effect pedals so its all about the black box theory ....anything that goes into the box ...is diferent after it passes through that box . no matter what is inside the box.

Ronzo and guitar_paul1 like this.
  14. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

Prefer to keep electrolitic out of signal path as much as ceramics. But if needs must, then perhaps bypass them with a resonably large value film cap.

chazo64 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.