Capacitor Voltage?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Jun 4, 2020.

1. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I'm trying to order some caps, and the .047's that I want come in either 100 or 200 volt.

Does it even matter on a guitar?

2. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

No

aging_rocker likes this.
  3. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Thanks.

4. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sure. One note, the lower the voltage basically means a lesser amount dialectric material. So 100v will be on the smaller side, when soldering in, make sure you use alligator clips or something like that on the tails as a heat sink

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

If it's going into a passive guitar circuit, bigger (mo munny) is not better. Plain ol' poly caps, and even ceramics that cost a penny apiece work great because voltage and current are so low.

Anything more (orange drops, etc.) is really wasted money.

Use that money you saved to buy high-quality pots; they do make a difference because they last longer and are less trouble because they don't wear out like the cheaper stuff does.

Your mileage may vary...

6. guspac88

guspac88 Tele-Meister

Orange drops are worth it, they're a $2 investment which guarantees that tone snobs can't complain about your tone cap. But then they start arguing about capacitance values...

It will make no discernible difference.

aging_rocker and Peegoo like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

There is barely any voltage out of a passive guitar circuit so 100 to 400 volt capacitors don't matter.

However, after doing a lot of cap swaps it seems like a larger plate (higher voltage) gives better toanze. It 'feels' more luxurious to use a thumb sized 400 volt cap than a tiny one. My most often used cap on my special guitars is a 50 volt light blue dip-molded surplus Russian cap I bought 50 for $5 a decade ago... Like the one guy says, the mojo is in the color ;)

8. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

My understanding is No. No difference

9. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

About the only difference is that the 200v capacitor will be physically larger than the 100v one, but not by twice as much. Either will fit with plenty of room and the difference in tone will be nil.

Oh, and the 200v ones might be a few cents more, depending on where you're buying them from.

The only *real* advantage is that the 200v capacitor might have slightly thicker leads on it, which means it'll hold up to more physical abuse. Up-rating components is a consideration in tube amps, but I bet most guitars have 50v or 100v caps in them and they're just fine.

10. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

The Russian paper in oils have cool Cyrillic text on them, that's worth an extra 75 cents to my way of thinking. I buy my caps for amp service or pedals anyway, so I don't really pick them with guitars in mind. Once they're here, they do fine in a guitar, whatever I have available.

You should honestly pay more attention to the shipping cost than the price of the cap.

Engine Swap and tdoty like this.
  11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

The value of the cap means more than the voltage rating.

12. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I just got done installing some weird caps in an old Japanese Fernandez Strat I have... they are .001uf... on the neck pup and .033 on the middle pups tone pots respectively.

I wanted the sweeps to be a bit different than usual and it delivered nicely... i always find the neck pup far too dark and muddy with higher values when rolled down all the way and the middle usually never cuts enough high end off.

So, mixing the values seemed to do the trick.

The the material or voltage rating seems to be of no consequence in my experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.