1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Capacitor that comes with Fender Pots

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TeleKato, Dec 11, 2015.

1. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I just bought a couple of Fender Pots -- both 250K, one of which is a no-load. Both came in the package with a small brown capacitor -- can't make out the markings but Fender's website says it is a ".01microF"

If I'm going to use a .047uF cap between Tone and Volume pots, and a treble-bleed assembly on the volume pot, I can then toss those capacitors in the parts bin (i.e., not use them)? Correct?

Building my first control assembly from scratch. Always had someone else do it, or bought completed ones. I see no sign of those pots in any of my existing control assemblies, so figure they're 'Captain Dunsel.'

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Yep... .01 mf caps are about as useful in a guitar today as spike cleats are on a ballet slipper....

rk

3. Zender

Zender Tele-Meister

Just go to Radio Shack and Spend $2.50 or less and get a couple of caps. Try various types if you like but any type will do.
    GC sells Orange Drops in packs for about $2 a cap.
    Don't spend more than that.

4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

The difference in cap size is minimal in my opinion. I never take .047's below a third down on the tone knob. .022 will give me a nice jazzy tone, and my latest rewire on a tele had a .015 PIO Sprague Vitamin Q with 250k linear pots and it sounds great. I also have a 4 way switch in there so the smaller cap value is welcome.

.01 is probably included as a treble bypass cap for a no load volume pot.

5. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Thanks fellers!

6. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

How does a pot become a "no load" pot? Given, especially, that any resistor in a network shunted to ground is considered a "load"?

7. bparnell57

The very end of the rotation lacks a carbon resistive trace, so there is no resistance to ground, and thus it is basically a direct connection from the signal input to the output of the pot.

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Actually, it is infinite resistance to ground, so the tone pot and capacitor has no effect whatsoever. The theory being that even at its least "invasive" setting, a tone pot will bleed off a wee bit of treble. By opening the circuit, there is no residual parasitic bleed to ground through the pot, due to the open setting on the pot. Fender single coils need more treble, you know. :D

9. bparnell57

Whoops sorry. Showing how tired I am after finals week haha.

They're good for neck pickups or series wiring.

10. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You had the theory right, just a word or two in the wrong place! :D Wish I had a nickel for every time I've done that! Hope your finals went well!

11. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

No load is what I did for the blender pot on the Broadcaster wiring in my nocaster project. Just opened it up, took off the resistive material just under the wiper in the fully open position and put it back together. So when the bridge position is engaged and the blender(which only works in the bridge position) is fully clockwise, there should be no load whatsoever from the neck pickup, giving truly just the bridge until you start to roll back.

I tested this by checking before modding the pot. Even wide open, there was a tiny bit of signal from the neck pickup. After I made the pot no load, the neck pickup is dead as a doornail until there is some roll back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.