1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Capacitor Location on Humbucker Mod

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by choosebronze, Mar 4, 2010.

1. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Hey folks... I've been reading these forums for a long time, all your knowledge is so helpful. I'm finally ready to ask my own question though...

Picked up a standard MIM Tele real cheap. I'm gonna drop a humbucker in the neck spot. I've been doing a lot of studying up on tele schematics to try and figure out how to wire this thing, but I'm hitting a snag.

I'm sure you guys know this, but on the standard tele, the capacitor is between the volume and tone pots. Like this:

[​IMG]

However, on the Squier SH tele and the Seymour Duncan schematics I've found for a humbucker in a tele, the capacitor is ONLY on the tone pot, like this:

[​IMG]

I'm wondering if it's that way for a reason. AKA if I have to do it that way, or if I can leave the capacitor the way it is.

Thanks so much.

2. funff

funff Tele-Holic

Look carefully, it's the same wiring. One end of cap goes to the centre lug on the tone pot and the other end goes to ground - in both diagrams - albeit by different routes.

3. paulskirocks

paulskirocks Tele-Holic

It's the same difference whether the capacitor goes to the volume lug, which is grounded, or to the straight to the tone pot ground...

4. cdhopkin

cdhopkin Tele-Meister

It's just a different route to ground...electronically it's exactly the same circuit...nothing to worry about. When I wire guitars with a master volume/tone I generally use the second diagram but that's just a personal preference.

5. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

I often wire mine like this. I THINK I can hear a difference in how the volume pot operates.

Attached Files:

6. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

It's exactly the same, just different?

7. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Do draw out the electronic diagram, they are all the same thing.

Attached Files:

8. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

yep, basically they are. In my diagram, the pickup signal passes through the volume pot before any frequencies are bled off by the tone pot. Like i said, i THINK i can hear a difference in how the volume pot operates. Could be imagination. :)

9. choosebronze

Thanks so much guys. I've been playing forever but I'm new to the electronics end. Rookie mistake.

Very helpful stuff. I can't wait to get her up and running!

10. choosebronze

Follow up...

I figure this is as good a place as any to post a follow-up, since I've already got the attention of you electrical experts.

I took out the neck single-coil, popped in the new GFS humbucker, soldered the green wire to the appropriate lead on the 3-way, and the black wire to the back of the volume pot. The red/white are soldered together as should be. (So I basically ended up with just a standard tele wiring scheme).

The pickup IS responsive, so I know the green wire at least is in the right location... but there's now a horrible hum from the guitar. It's more of a deep hum and not a high buzzing.

Just wondering if any of you experts have any ideas.

Thanks again.

Jared

11. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

It's not imagination. With the tone control after the vol, on the wiper, then as the vol is turned the resistance (now Ra + Rc) to the cap is varied too. This vol-acting-as-tone-control effect is noticeable when both pots are well rolled off.

12. JCollins

JCollins Tele-Holic

There should either be a bare wire, or a braided shield surrounding all the other leads. The bare wire or braided shield serves as a ground for the metal base and cover (if there is a cover). This must also be soldered to ground. That is probably the source of the hum.

13. choosebronze

Hey, Thanks Jim.

Maybe I just don't know how to solder well enough. I've got the grounds from both pickups and from the humbucker shield all to the back of the volume pot. It's just a horrible deep echoey buzz.

I guess I finally have to give in and take her into a shop. =(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.