1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Capacitor Blues

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dogfootblues, Jun 7, 2013.

1. dogfootblues

dogfootblues Tele-Afflicted

So I'm strartin my Esquire tommorow after I go to Radio Shqck for the capacitors. Now the .0047 is for the cocked wah. I'm not a fan of the standard tone cap whice is .047 I beleive. So is .033 a nice step up from the dark tone of the .047 or should I go .022. Again, you guys help me out so much and I thank all
    Of you.

Sent from my iPod touch using TDPRI

2. dogfootblues

3. Terry O'Malley

Terry O'Malley Tele-Holic

May I vote in favour of the 0.22?

I use them for most single coil applications.....& P90's and HB's.....

Orange sprague or vitamin Q for mine

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I tend to like .033s in mine but the "Nashcaster" actually had an .01 in it when I got it and I haven't changed it because it seems to work well with them on that guitar. It kind of depends on how subtle you like the sweep on the tone knob to be but to me the .033s are a nice middle ground for single coils.

5. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

I use the .015 green chicklet from Radio Shack. Sounds good. 2 for $1.59. Using this allows me to have a much greater usable range with the tone control, rather than the instant darkness I get with an .047 or even a .022.

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

those little boogers are so inexpensive from RS, just getcha one of each and give 'em a try.... but yeah, I'm about to drop .047 all together.... as far as I'm concerned, it leaves half the pot's rotation useless... wayyyyy to dark to be of any use..

Ron Kirn

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

8. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I use a .015. It goes as dark as I want it to. Any darker and it's too dark.. I'm glad I made the change.. I think a .01 would work fine too... The .022 is a bit over kill for me, but it works fine for most and is the most popular today, I think.

9. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

I'd say try a few values and stick with what you like. In my microcoil-equipped strat and tele I found I liked the 47 better than the 22 even though i'lll never roll all the way down. The resonant frequency is better to my ears on those pickups with the 47.

10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Use the one YOU like!

11. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

I went with an orange drop .033 for my recent tele/jazzmaster build.

12. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

I still use the .1 or .05 (47) IMO people put way much thought and concern into what cap.
    IMO more than enough tone can be had with what ever value a person uses. More than what cap is in ther, goes into what tone /s come out.

dark/ bright blah blah blah ... one moment everything can sound fine the next its all poop.

Wish someone could figure a way to keep that headspace you get into when it all clicks. :lol: something legal that is;)

13. dogfootblues

Thanks fellows

14. Rod Parsons

Actually, if one uses a lower value cap such as a .015 or even .01, there is very little, if any 'poop', and the taper is more gradual. The tone won't get too dark to be usable except for playing bass lines, and there is a more gradual sweep of the brighter usable tones. The large valued .1 was for tele players who wanted to use their guitar for playing bass, when a large standup acoustic bass wasn't practical for transport. This is why Fender discontinued it.. People could just buy a Precision Bass instead... :)

15. dogfootblues

Yea I'm gonna grab some .015's and some .022's

16. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

A P bass instead, lol no strat or tele can do what a P or J can do! I know I play them all. In teles a .1 was not the only thing in the circuit to get that bass setting.
    .1 where still in use for quite awhile after the P bass was brought out. Also used in many RI and CS Fenders today!
    But any who, the role what cap is used, is so insignificant in the scheme of things its not worth worring about IMO

So use what ya will

17. Rod Parsons

I respectfully disagree with almost everything you said. If you will re-read what I wrote, I never compared any guitar's tone with that of any bass tone: I am beginning to think that you are a troll...roll::rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

I agree with Ron to try several out. If so inclined you could run a few wires out of the ctrl plate and attach them temporarraly with alligator clips for a quick switch while testing. Any caps left over could be used for future projects.

Also, what about the pots..is there a standard for Esquires? Well I guess nothing is standard. I lost the ice pick when I swapped out 1 megs for 250ks in my old 73 Tele

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.