Cap replacement questions.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Bugeater281, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Cruisin Home

Cruisin Home Tele-Meister

You are also faced with economics vs other sentimental value. This amp maybe not so collectible, might fetch $500 in top working order with good shape to the cloth, etc. How much do you invest to bring it back to life? But on other hand you may have very strong attachment due to tone, looks, family ownership, etc. If that's the case then money is not really a driver. What do you expect from it? Are you gonna gig with it vs. play it once in awhile vs fix it and sell it. This all affects how aggressive and luxurious you wanna be with this.

This advice is from somebody (me) that didn't think about the above. I got the bug for these old tube amps 15 years ago and started grabbing everyone i could see and breathing life back into them. it was fun for me as an engineer to learn the ways of the pre-transistor days: but it wasn't very profitable! I ended up with lots of amps in my house with a wife who had better ideas for the space they were taking up, not to mention that to her they looked ratty and old. I spent much more on them than I later sold them for. So i stopped picking up strays, got rid of most of my collection (except for a vintage, very low serial number Bassman) and a few home builds (Bassman that's half Marshall, and Deluxe which I recently re-acquired from a friend i sold it to.)

King Fan and SacDAve like this.
  2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

So you're saying you'd need a multi-tag strip or two to support new filter caps if you replace the old cap can / multi-cap / firecracker? Can be done, but may not be necessary. Filter caps are big and sturdy enough you can secure them to the chassis with RTV silicone + / – some zip ties. They even make a zip tie gizmo with a screw-down mounting tab for things like this.

But, to be honest, I'm with @Cruisin Home in suggesting pro help. I've built four amps and restored two, and I have no idea where I'd start testing and restoring in that amp. The point-to-point wiring will make everything harder.

The flipside of that thinking also exists. If a good tech restoration would be expensive, and the amp won't be worth a ton of money afterwards, this also gives you permission to see if you can figure it all out. As long as you study to the max (and practice, at all times) amp safety, then the risk of 'breaking' your amp, or failing to fix it, becomes a bit less 'expensive.'

3. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Its definitely not a super popular amp, but it’s definitely unique. And luckily I only paid 20$ for the amp(thrift store knew nothing about it). The reason I’d like to keep it is due to it’s vibrato(true frequency modulation)set up(which works perfect). It’s utilises a true pitch vibrato vs volume modulation like a lot of amps in this time period. So it’s really got a unique sound. A good example is the song Howling for You by the black keys or their El Camino album. Both utilised this amp for recording. It also has a Hammond reverb tank.

Everyone has tubed fender amps. Not a lot of people have tubes magnatones.

ADA4E10E-DFB6-4CFA-9C92-6BD2D5DA0288.png

King Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.