1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cap can with leakage - how much is okay?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by itsGiusto, Jan 19, 2021.

1. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

I bought a 20-20-20-20 cap can last year to replace the old one on my 1972 princeton reverb. I was doing some maintenance on my amp today, and I removed the cap fully from the amp, so I decided to see if it's working correctly. All 4 lugs measure the correct capacitance. However, when I test the resistance from each lug to ground, 3 of the lugs have some leakage. I don't know if it's enough to replace it, however.

One lug measures infinite resistance to ground. Another one measures ~50M, another measures ~30M, and another measures ~60M.

What do you all think? Should I replace the cap?

2. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

If the High-Tension voltages at all the nodes are okay/ballpark, the cap will be fine. '30M', '50M', '60M' and 'infinite resistance' amount to pretty much the same thing in an e-cap. YMMV

FenderLover and itsGiusto like this.
  3. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

To really test for leakage you need to test at high voltage with something like this...

100_2345.jpg

Notice this can test at up to 450 Volts.

If a HV cap is gonna leak, that's where it happens.

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

ahhh yes... the 'ol Spenard lie detector

5. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

Okay, put the can back in, and the voltages were great, very very close to spec. so I guess there's no worry. I had thought that leaky caps caused more problems than just voltage changes, but maybe that's only for coupling caps, not filter caps.

6. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know what meter you were using to measure 30/50/60M ohms but measurement accuracy come into play with those high readings. I'm not surprised that it works well in-circuit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.